CJ Comparo for Old-Timers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CJ Comparo for Old-Timers

How about Todd Burgan? Same size, lefty who showed similar progression in game: 4ppg, 12 ppg, 15 ppg and 17ppg.
Could slash, decent rebounder, cool on the receiving end of the alley oop too. Mid 30's on 3 point shooting and important player on FF team with Wallace.

Yeah, I like the Pace 2.0 and maybe the Burgan comparison above. CJ isn't the quickest SF around but he is obviously smooth and effective. He does everything pretty well but nothing great, imo. He is steady more than anything and that's a very good thing.

Santifer also one of my favorite players. I think CJ is the smoothest player we've ever had.

Dennis Duval was the king of smooth.

Santifer also one of my favorite players. I think CJ is the smoothest player we've ever had.

Dennis Duval was the king of smooth.

Yeah, I like the Pace 2.0 and maybe the Burgan comparison above. CJ isn't the quickest SF around but he is obviously smooth and effective. He does everything pretty well but nothing great, imo. He is steady more than anything and that's a very good thing.

Exactly. CJ = a taller Josh Pace with a jump shot.

I kind of thought it was pretty cool even before Pearl came. Louie and Bouie, The Super Sophs, those were very fun teams to watch. I swear at one game in the Dome I saw Tony Bruin catch an alley oop from Rautins, hang in the air about 3 seconds, and then go higher to slam it home without ever touching the ground. The dude absolutely floated in mid air.
And they had GREAT non-conference games in that era. Maryland, DePaul (Good DePaul), Oklahoma (Waymon), North Carolina w/MJ, Houston PhiSlammaJamma with Drexler taking off for a dunk from halfcourt. Good stuff.

Yes, Dale was another fine all-around player who quietly got it done every night.
He was one of our first "SuperStars". Dude had a nice career but I seem to him like disappearing the last half of his senior year. Remember he had a grey undershirt and I remember thinking hey why not, thats how we did it in gym.

Pace is really the only comparison even somewhat close. Now that CJ has developed a steady 16 foot jump shot...even that comparison isn't that great anymore. Pace was strictly scoring in the paint.

I don't get the Pace comparison at all . . . Pace had no game outside of ten feet, was a terrible free throw shooter and a merely OK rebounder. CJ is leaps and bounds better than Pace. The only things the two have in common is that they are left handed fan favorites.