CJ tonight | Syracusefan.com

CJ tonight

jdubs30

Living Legend
He's been bad ever since the Duke game, probably the worst shooting % stretch in his career here. If CJ lights it up again I think we can officially label him a "big game player", to me, will give me a lot more confidence in March. If CJ struggles against Clemson and BC that's ok with me, as long as he plays well vs. teams like Duke. That will go a long for us to making it far in the tournament. We go as far as CJ will take us in March; if he goes 7/23 from the field we won't beat anyone. It's time for CJ to be that senior leader and play well and lead us tonight.

He's been bad ever since the Duke game, probably the worst shooting % stretch in his career here. If CJ lights it up again I think we can officially label him a "big game player", to me, will give me a lot more confidence in March. If CJ struggles against Clemson and BC that's ok with me, as long as he plays well vs. teams like Duke. That will go a long for us to making it far in the tournament. We go as far as CJ will take us in March; if he goes 7/23 from the field we won't beat anyone. It's time for CJ to be that senior leader and play well and lead us tonight.

I'm not so sure CJ's struggles are simply a function of playing better in the "big" games.

CJ needs to play smarter and adjust to what the D is trying to "force" him to do. There is a learning curve here because CJ was rarely the focus of defensive game plans in his previous years. He is the man now.

BTW, I have a feeling that ALL the games are going to big games from here on out. Time to see what this team is made of...

CJ appears to have become a bit hesitent and developed a bit of a hitch in his shot as result

I'm with dubs on this one. He just needs to knock down his open j's. No matter what defense or whatever, an open miss is just that, he needs some open makes.

He needs to stop forcing shots. Some of the shots he's taken recently have been horrid. With that being said, he will lead us tonight because "this ain't Fair"...

There were a few drives against BC where he could have kicked it out for open teammates. He at times becomes a black hole and ends up taking tough shots.

They said this morning that CJ went back and watched every shot he took against BC, hopefully he picked up something he's doing wrong.

I even noticed it earlier in the year. He just didn't/doesn't look as confident and smooth as he did last season. I thought it was just an early season funk that he'd work through but it's persisted thus far.

There were a few drives against BC where he could have kicked it out for open teammates. He at times becomes a black hole and ends up taking tough shots.

I agree, but CJ can't kick it out too much because 1) he knows the team relies upon him to carry the scoring load or make something happen, 2) no one else will shoot open looks from the outside (aside from TC), and 3) knowing JB will never bench him for poor decision making, so CJ likely takes whatever shot he's got - tough or not.

I agree, but CJ can't kick it out too much because 1) he knows the team relies upon him to carry the scoring load or make something happen, 2) no one else will shoot open looks from the outside (aside from TC), and 3) knowing JB will never bench him for poor decision making, so CJ likely takes whatever shot he's got - tough or not.
Well #2 has to change, and I think Ennis will step up to the plate. He was not aggressive at all with taking shots he had 5 attempts last time. Heard rumblings about him being sick last time out, maybe that was the reason? I fully expect an entirely different Ennis this time out. He likes the lights.

He had a stretch last season (I believe it started in February) during which he really struggled with his outside shot.

He had a stretch last season (I believe it started in February) during which he really struggled with his outside shot.

Yup - and the year before he was having a miserable time tourney time until about the Sweet 16 game.

We may not win tonight, but for the future beyond this season Trevor has to develop into more then a shooter. He needs to be able to drive into the lane, and pull-up for the jump shot, and he needs to be able to find open shooters, 35 assists in 837 minutes is not acceptable for a division 1 guard. Rick Jackson had 77 assists in 1101 minutes.

We may not win tonight, but for the future beyond this season Trevor has to develop into more then a shooter. He needs to be able to drive into the lane, and pull-up for the jump shot, and he needs to be able to find open shooters, 35 assists in 837 minutes is not acceptable for a division 1 guard. Rick Jackson had 77 assists in 1101 minutes.
TC is getting a little better at drivivng, but I agree has to be more aggressive. The problem is everytime he catches it he has people in his face and it's hard to do anything at that point. Cooney is playing off the ball the majority of the time like Southerland did last year.

James had 36 assists last year in 1003 minutes. Rick is not a fair comparison since he had a lot of touches in the post, it's easier for him to find cutters or kick it back out for a 3.

Yes, more driving of the lane please! Can't play hot potato every time or shoot drifting 3's. I love Cooney, but would just hope he gets this aspect of his game going more often. He has the handle to drive the lane.

TC is getting a little better at drivivng, but I agree has to be more aggressive. The problem is everytime he catches it he has people in his face and it's hard to do anything at that point. Cooney is playing off the ball the majority of the time like Southerland did last year.

James had 36 assists last year in 1003 minutes. Rick is not a fair comparison since he had a lot of touches in the post, it's easier for him to find cutters or kick it back out for a 3.

And Cooney has 22 TOs in those 837 minutes, while shooting a better % from the field than CJ.

CJ has 36 assists and 63 TOs in 981 minutes so far this season.

Andy played off the ball with Jonny, and Eric. Jonny ( 254-1418 ), Eric ( 108-1220 ), Andy ( 112-1059 ), Paul ( 80-1130 ). My point is this team is bad on offense, mainly because outside of Ennis, no-one on this team is good at passing the ball. They get the ball, and are looking to shoot, not set someone up for a shot. For next year everyone who comes back needs to work on passing the ball, forwards, guards, and the centers.

Andy played off the ball with Jonny, and Eric. Jonny ( 254-1418 ), Eric ( 108-1220 ), Andy ( 112-1059 ), Paul ( 80-1130 ). My point is this team is bad on offense, mainly because outside of Ennis, no-one on this team is good at passing the ball. They get the ball, and are looking to shoot, not set someone up for a shot. For next year everyone who comes back needs to work on passing the ball, forwards, guards, and the centers.

I think Rak is a good passer, he just doesn't get touches.

pefreeft.png

And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows
All the good girls are home with broken hearts

I think Rak is a good passer, he just doesn't get touches.

Yeah, Baye is decent as well. He just can't catch that well.

G is fairly bad in that regard, surprised more of his passes aren't picked tbh.

Cooney, would be nice if he had more Devo in him - we could certainly use an off-guard who was a bit more adept at taking it to the rim.