Clayton. Welch. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

He can get better but I thinks it’s far fetched to think he has any chance or getting drafted. He still played a rough game against Pitt, he did some nice things but it was still WAY below any level of NFL play. Maybe he gets substantially better but that’s a better thought to throw out there 3 games from now if he happens to be crushing it.
If I were him, I would be working my tail off all day long with that possibility in my vision. I believe he is doing that, he appears to be intelligent.

I did actually. I made the case that we don’t get the kind of arm talent like Tommy that often and we should afford him every opportunity to build him into what he could become. You said cool stats don’t matter and you would pick “a winner”, lol. And you lowered yourself by calling me names, which I predicted.

I totally agree that we don’t get his talent often. Heck you can argue we have never had it. This issue is what is best for what we can out out there offensively. Welch is not the answer.

But long term we should be concentrating on dual threats. We rarely have a strong OL, and when we do they are strong run blockers and average pass blockers. That is not going to be an environment that a QB like DeVito can thrive in.

If there is a dual threat grad transfer available we absolutely should bring that guy in. Then let him compete with DeVito and let the best QB play. At that point we at lest have a serviceable 2nd stringer.

I totally agree that we don’t get his talent often. Heck you can argue we have never had it. This issue is what is best for what we can out out there offensively. Welch is not the answer.

But long term we should be concentrating on dual threats. We rarely have a strong OL, and when we do they are strong run blockers and average pass blockers. That is not going to be an environment that a QB like DeVito can thrive in.

If there is a dual threat grad transfer available we absolutely should bring that guy in. Then let him compete with DeVito and let the best QB play. At that point we at lest have a serviceable 2nd stringer.
If Welch isn't the answer then who do you start, an injured TD? If not, who do they play at QB?

Hey guys

How effective would Welch be if a team had tape on him and could game plan for him?

Probably much less effective.

Everyone loves the backup QB

I mean, it wasn't exactly rocket science to figure out what was happening real time and to game-plan for it. Welch either lobs it deep or runs, sprinkled with the occasional skipped short pass.

We are fully aware that Welch isn't an ideal quarterback but, given the disastrous offensive line situation and the injured Devito looking frantic trying to avoid any hit at all costs, Welch may give us the best chance to win in the short-run. That may not be saying much but I'd like for Devito to get healthy and then hopefully he will settle down, or by some miracle the offensive line starts to improve a bit. With Welch in at QB there will be interceptions and missed passes. We aren't deluding ourselves here... But we are in a situation where there doesn't seem to be a solution but we might as well give it a try. There's nothing to gain by tanking in CFB and reducing Devito's hits may be the best for him, and us, in the long-run.

If Tommy has to be shut down for the year, I'd give Rex Culpepper a shot, too, maybe alternating with Welch to give the opposition different looks. Rex was supposed to be the heir to Dungey when he was recruited. He did get into some games two years ago and is 45 for 76, (59%) for 518 yards in his career here. And, unlike Welch, he's got another year of eligibility. He'll be the back-up next year.

If Tommy has to be shut down for the year, I'd give Rex Culpepper a shot, too, maybe alternating with Welch to give the opposition different looks. Rex was supposed to be the heir to Dungey when he was recruited. He did get into some games two years ago and is 45 for 76, (59%) for 518 yards in his career here. And, unlike Welch, he's got another year of eligibility. He'll be the back-up next year.

I would too, if for no other reason than to build depth for next year. When is the last time our QB didn't go down to injury, Nassib in 2012?

If Tommy can't go, I'd start Rex.

Outside of the pass to Harris, he didn't look good throwing the ball. The executive decision to not have Devito in the second half is so that he's not killed behind that line. Let Welch be the cannon fodder.

Tommy is hurt.
How hurt? He looked banged up last week and when he went down this week he looked like he didn’t want to get up. He was clearly already hurt and either got really banged up or just gave up. I don’t blame him for either. It’s a lost season - would rather him healthier behind a better O line next year.

Breath of fresh air. Lack of game experience was evident. I noticed DeVito had an acute awareness of cameras... Good job, Clayton.

Thank you o great omniscient one. You do know that Tom Brady was all but unwanted and undrafted going in the 6th round as a lark pick by BB. That is the winningest quarterback in NFL history.

Talk to me when a 6th round guy becomes an all pro at QB year after year. Plus that was like 60 years ago

No reason to throw Devito out there on the road against FSU.

They are gonna blitz every down let’s see if Welch can extend plays and hit some hot routes.

He might play better getting a week to prepare with the #1s.

This thread’s remarkably depressing. We better hope Tommy’s ok to play or we will go 3-9.

Tommy’s a high character, very resilient kid. Anyone questioning his character should stop.

He’s playing hurt behind a bad line with poor receivers and no run game. He’s made bad mistakes but is not in a good spot to develop at the moment.

Clayton’s tough but he’s not going to take Tommy’s job. He may move the ball a drive or two but he’s not close to being the better option.

im pissed that Jordan, Queeley and Johnson are not getting more of a shot.

This situation is in many ways what happened last year with Dungey. Some here started calling for TD to take over as he was "clearly the better QB" as many said. A lot of judgments and opinions were made on limited information and failure to look at the big picture.

I have no desire to disparage Welch because he's one of our own. I like the fact that he can take off from the pocket more effectively than TD (and is willing to do so). However, he just seems way behind in the passing department. Watching against Pitt, it just seemed that he would launch and pray.

Had some not jumped on the TD train so strongly, maybe there wouldn't be such a surprise as to where he is right now developmentally (especially considering the o-line). We have far too many other issues that concern me than TD.

This thread’s remarkably depressing. We better hope Tommy’s ok to play or we will go 3-9.

Tommy’s a high character, very resilient kid. Anyone questioning his character should stop.

He’s playing hurt behind a bad line with poor receivers and no run game. He’s made bad mistakes but is not in a good spot to develop at the moment.

Clayton’s tough but he’s not going to take Tommy’s job. He may move the ball a drive or two but he’s not close to being the better option.

im pissed that Jordan, Queeley and Johnson are not getting more of a shot.
No one is knocking his character but if Tommy is unable to play effectively due to injury then he should sit. No one said that Clayton is going to take Tommy's job. Tommy will be back next year. Welch won't. It's about this season and who gives the team the best chance to win some more games.

If it is Welch, Rex or Tommy play the one that will best help this team win...and right now it doesn't appear to be Tommy.

Tommy‘s our quarterback now and for the following two years. Give him an average offensive line and he will be fine. We’re all in crap mood because we expected so much more this year. Can you imagine how the players and coaches must feel? Last year we won every close game, stayed healthy and got some breaks. Nothing has gone well and we’ve had several key injuries. Dino is the same coach we were all clambering to get an extension last year. They didn’t all forget how to coach. Give us Dungey, Coda Martin and our other tackle and how much better would this team be? I saw a lot of fight in the past two games with few breaks and a lot of questionable calls. We need to support them and hope things turn around. The key moving forward is recruiting. This is the area that concerns me the most.

Not really disagreeing with you, except for the comment about winning all of our close games last year. Both Pitt and Clemson games last year could have easily been Ws. Yes, we won a few close ones too. But overall, those close games were a wash in’18.

Last edited:
I would too, if for no other reason than to build depth for next year. When is the last time our QB didn't go down to injury, Nassib in 2012?

If Tommy can't go, I'd start Rex.
Making a bowl game is much more important than getting next years projected backup quarterback reps. For fan support, team charisma, and most importantly recruiting we need to get to six wins not tank like the Dolphins

Making a bowl game is much more important than getting next years projected backup quarterback reps. For fan support, team charisma, and most importantly recruiting we need to get to six wins not tank like the Dolphins

Ok, then wait until we have 7 losses. If Tommy is hurt and Welch leads us to 3 more wins, I'll happily eat the crow. But I don't see it at all.

FSU’s D isn’t Pitts. Pitt was their top 10 strength vs our biggest weakness. If Tommy can go, these are the type games he’s more likely to play well in.

Louisville, Wake, FSU, and BC all struggle on D.

Clay might not be the next coming of tb12, but he’s got a very particular set of skills, and it’s certainly possible his skills are better matched than TD to help this team win right now.

I’m not saying this to be a jerk but I’m not sure it matters who’s the QB the rest of the season. Even the playcalling and personal choices have been terrible. No idea what’s going on but it’s not just one thing, like the oline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom