Clayton. Welch. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

Things are tough enough as it is, don’t need outsiders whispering poison into his ears on top of it.

Everybody needs to do better including him

The problem today is that the NCAA turned transferring into free agency. So I'm not surprised to hear that talk, nor would I be shocked if his name popped up in the portal.

There's no reason that Justin Fields should be playing this year. At all. But look at him go.

Maybe this lights a fire under Tommy like it did with Dungey to finish last year when TD was gunning for him.

Clayton Welch was a two time Captain and leader of his HS team. He was the NorCal Player of the Year while in Junior College. Top player in the whole league. By all accounts he is a very outgoing, confident some would say cocky guy. Clayton has some balls on him based on reports. He doesn't throw the prettiest ball but based on his past accomplishments he is a leader and a gamer. Tommy is banged up and his confidence is shot. PTSD bad.
I would go with both against the Noles as it gives them two very different QBs to have to prepare for.
i would play clayton and rex--when td is in -it will be t off time for the opponents d.,---unless our the play calling with td gets creative???

Tommy‘s our quarterback now and for the following two years. Give him an average offensive line and he will be fine. We’re all in crap mood because we expected so much more this year. Can you imagine how the players and coaches must feel? Last year we won every close game, stayed healthy and got some breaks. Nothing has gone well and we’ve had several key injuries. Dino is the same coach we were all clambering to get an extension last year. They didn’t all forget how to coach. Give us Dungey, Coda Martin and our other tackle and how much better would this team be? I saw a lot of fight in the past two games with few breaks and a lot of questionable calls. We need to support them and hope things turn around. The key moving forward is recruiting. This is the area that concerns me the most.

not sure quitting builds character. fighting thru difficulties does.

that’s not how you get to the NFL. Being a tackling dummy doesn’t get you drafted. Guys transfer ALL the time, the nfl doesn’t care if you show you can play.

“Look he can’t throw, I mean at all - but he’s big and doesn’t throw it out of bounds as much so”

Between the fans here and our OL, starting to think we don’t deserve accurate QBs

“Look he can’t throw, I mean at all - but he’s big and doesn’t throw it out of bounds as much so”

Between the fans here and our OL, starting to think we don’t deserve accurate QBs

Your football IQ is not as high as you think. There’s a lot more that goes into being a good QB then having a big arm and accuracy. Just because you can copy and paste stats from the World Wide Web doesn’t mean you have any idea what you’re looking at.

Again, Jay cutler had a big arm, threw for 3000 yards and a qb rating of 127 his senior year, 131 his junior year. His team was 5-6 his senior year. He’s a career loser in CFB and the NFL but he wows people with his arm. There’s a lot more to this game then you pretend to know. That’s evident from your analysis during the Shafer years before you finally had to give in to the idea he didn’t know what he was doing

Tommy will most likely transfer.
Huh?
Give up a year of eligibility to go where? Rutgirls?

I trust that Dino & Co. have explained the OL situation for the next two years to Tommy. Tommy will be the QB again next year. His Senior year will depend on how things go next year.

I just liked to see a QB actually commit to a run with no indecision. Welch is able to make that snap decision and go. TD is not as decisive at the moment. Both had to deal with the rush.

Your football IQ is not as high as you think. There’s a lot more that goes into being a good QB then having a big arm and accuracy. Just because you can copy and paste stats from the World Wide Web doesn’t mean you have any idea what you’re looking at.

Again, Jay cutler had a big arm, threw for 3000 yards and a qb rating of 127 his senior year, 131 his junior year. His team was 5-6 his senior year. He’s a career loser in CFB and the NFL but he wows people with his arm. There’s a lot more to this game then you pretend to know. That’s evident from your analysis during the Shafer years before you finally had to give in to the idea he didn’t know what he was doing
Jeff George anyone?

i would play clayton and rex--when td is in -it will be t off time for the opponents d.,---unless our the play calling a double pass back then a pass forward
i would play clayton and rex--when td is in -it will be t off time for the opponents d.,---unless our the play calling with td gets creative???
A double pass back with a third pass forward? I like it. It's a little crazy but we could use a little crazy.
Also, a little off topic, but can I just say
I HATE PENN ST.

sorry, had u on ignore

Jay Cutler had a better NFL career than, checks world wide web, all Syracuse QBs but McNabb. Had he played here, we’d have a big poster in our football wing.

im aware theres more to QB than just stats, it’s just Tommy is getting sacked 8 times a game and is putting up a decent year. i mean shame on me for assuming he’d be better with a competent oline and experience to overcome some of his short comings (that I’ve acknowledged)

but you see Welch as your guy?

ill see your response before I put you back on ignore, FWIW

Tommy will most likely Transfer. Is an opinion. Not a fact. I dont get your point.

No way he’d get a hardship waiver and he shouldn’t be on track to graduate until next season, so if DeVito left he’d have to sit out next year. Meaning he’d only have one more season to play. Pretty risky.

sorry, had u on ignore

Jay Cutler had a better NFL career than, checks world wide web, all Syracuse QBs but McNabb. Had he played here, we’d have a big poster in our football wing.

im aware theres more to QB than just stats, it’s just Tommy is getting sacked 8 times a game and is putting up a decent year. i mean shame on me for assuming he’d be better with a competent oline and experience to overcome some of his short comings (that I’ve acknowledged)

but you see Welch as your guy?

ill see your response before I put you back on ignore, FWIW

Please find where I said Welch was the guy.

Just put me on ignore now if you can’t handle criticism. You love to nitpick everyone else but can’t handle it yourself. :confused:

Jay Cutler had a better NFL career than, checks world wide web, all Syracuse QBs but McNabb. Had he played here, we’d have a big poster in our football

Not sure what Cutler record vs previous SU qb’s has to do with anything, other than you like to cherry pick arguments, stats, etc.

Let me catch you back up. Question is, is TD going to be one of the better qb’s in CFB. I’m not saying he won’t be, I’m merely pointing out that because of his arm people get caught up in that one aspect and miss other important aspects. It’s very possible he’s really Jay cutler and not a drew brees. We don’t know yet, it’s not a guarantee he gets better at some of the things he struggles with, I hope he does.

Now, here’s where you’re cherry picking stats. Jay cutler had a W/L record of 11-35 in college and 5-27 in SEC play. I point out his record wasn’t very good and you try to make some awkward argument about cutler vs SU qb’s in general.:confused: In the NFL cutler had a record of 41-37 with 2 winning seasons total. So if you’re arguing that’s the ceiling for us too, ok!!! Sounds exciting.

I don’t know how bad Tommy is hurt . He seemed ok on sidelines. Posts range from ok to 8 broken ribs and skull fracture. Might actually be positive for Tommy to sit a game and take things in from sideline while getting healthy. Not expecting to beat FSU with Welch but hell, what have we got to lose at this point in season.

I thought I saw a sideline shot a week ago at NC State where he was hurt on the sidelines and put a towel over his face because he looked like he was practically crying in pain before running up the tunnel. I'm pretty sure he was not feeling great heading into the game.

Please find where I said Welch was the guy.

Just put me on ignore now if you can’t handle criticism. You love to nitpick everyone else but can’t handle it yourself. :confused:

I can handle criticism when it’s bolstered with evidence. I put you on ignore because your arguments are weak (often with no evidence) - and you tend to make things personal.

I disagree with people on this board all the time. I admit when I’m wrong. I don’t make it personal because it’s a message board about a football team.

I only ignore two people.

Not sure what Cutler record vs previous SU qb’s has to do with anything, other than you like to cherry pick arguments, stats, etc.

Let me catch you back up. Question is, is TD going to be one of the better qb’s in CFB. I’m not saying he won’t be, I’m merely pointing out that because of his arm people get caught up in that one aspect and miss other important aspects. It’s very possible he’s really Jay cutler and not a drew brees. We don’t know yet, it’s not a guarantee he gets better at some of the things he struggles with, I hope he does.

Now, here’s where you’re cherry picking stats. Jay cutler had a W/L record of 11-35 in college and 5-27 in SEC play. I point out his record wasn’t very good and you try to make some awkward argument about cutler vs SU qb’s in general.:confused: In the NFL cutler had a record of 41-37 with 2 winning seasons total. So if you’re arguing that’s the ceiling for us too, ok!!! Sounds exciting.

Ok. Let’s put it this way - if we had a guy with Jay Cutler’s arm in our QB room, we’d be happy because that doesn’t happen that often here. We’d think Dino could help him learn the other stuff because he’s so talented. He’d start and maybe we’d have similar results as Vanderbilt or wherever he played.

So what? What’s the alternative? A less talented guy who throws in the dirt 1/2 the time? It’s out of bounds for you to ask what he’d look like when he’s not sacked 5+ times a game before rendering judgment on the things he can’t do well yet?

Ok. Let’s put it this way - if we had a guy with Jay Cutler’s arm in our QB room, we’d be happy because that doesn’t happen that often here. We’d think Dino could help him learn the other stuff because he’s so talented. He’d start and maybe we’d have similar results as Vanderbilt or wherever he played.

So what? What’s the alternative? A less talented guy who throws in the dirt 1/2 the time? It’s out of bounds for you to ask what he’d look like when he’s not sacked 5+ times a game before rendering judgment on the things he can’t do well yet?

I prefer wins over anything. I’ll take a guy who throws in the dirt if he’s a winner over a guy who has a great arm and is a career loser. Every.single.day.

wins>Cool stats

I prefer wins over anything. I’ll take a guy who throws in the dirt if he’s a winner over a guy who has a great arm and is a career loser. Every.single.day.

wins>Cool stats

There, that didn’t take long. You picked Welch as your guy.

I guess I need to make the argument that there’s a correlation between cool stats and winning, typically

There, that didn’t take long. You picked Welch as your guy.

I guess I need to make the argument that there’s a correlation between cool stats and winning, typically

put me back on ignore. You are dense. We were talking hypothetically. I said previously I’m not advocating for Welch. I’m not sure if you actually struggle with reading comprehension or if you can’t answer logic so you twist the argument around to suit your agenda. I’m thinking the second but if you don’t follow this clearly, maybe it’s the 1st.

put me back on ignore. You are dense. We were talking hypothetically. I said previously I’m not advocating for Welch. I’m not sure if you actually struggle with reading comprehension or if you can’t answer logic so you twist the argument around to suit your agenda. I’m thinking the second but if you don’t follow this clearly, maybe it’s the 1st.

So, you’re not in favor of stats and want to keep things in the hypothetical? Seems legit.

And you want to make it personal by questioning my reading comprehension and call me dense? Unable to make a good arguement and overly reliant on personnel insults to paper over weakness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom