Clayton. Welch. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

So, you’re not in favor of stats and want to keep things in the hypothetical? Seems legit.

And you want to make it personal by questioning my reading comprehension and call me dense? Unable to make a good arguement and overly reliant on personnel insults to paper over weakness.

Cool story. Still haven’t actually answered one thing I’ve written, just keep twisting things around. You’ve answered my question. Thank you.

Cool story. Still haven’t actually answered one thing I’ve written, just keep twisting things around. You’ve answered my question. Thank you.

I did actually. I made the case that we don’t get the kind of arm talent like Tommy that often and we should afford him every opportunity to build him into what he could become. You said cool stats don’t matter and you would pick “a winner”, lol. And you lowered yourself by calling me names, which I predicted.

From my SU football preview:

Clayton Welch will be his back-up. Who? Here’s what I said about him last year: “Clayton Welch is a junior college transfer who passed for 63 yards and a score in the spring game. He is a walk on but a big one at 6-5 235. He was on the roster last year but didn’t play in any games. He put up some good numbers at Butte College in California: “Welch completed 54.4 percent of his passes for 1,325 yards, 13 touchdowns and five interceptions in 12 games played last season. He also ran for 821 yards and 11 scores.”

Actually he looks pretty darn good in the highlight film in this article:

Syracuse football recruiting: 2017 JUCO QB Clayton Welch signs with SU as walk-on

If Tommy flops or gets hurt, people will react as if the season is over. I think Mr. Welch could surprise them in that situation. He’s a big dude and Dino might dust off the Dungey playbook for Welch.

I don't think folks are making Welch the next savior of the program. I do think most posters did the usual and put Tommy up on a pedestal before he ever started at SU or Dungey graduated. Now Welch did play well enough last night to get two TDs in his first game in two years. If he gives us a chance to win, something Tommy isn't doing right now, then fine let Welch play. For that matter let Rex takes some snaps.

Maybe savior isn’t the best word then, but don’t you think that people are now putting Welch up on a pedestal? Only after two TDs against what everybody is saying is a poor team.

And let me be clear in now way am I trying to say that devito needs to play regardless of his performance, give us the best player to win if it’s Welch or Rex or Devito, or Elmore at QB...but I just dont want people to be let down and then shocked when Welch has a poor game and misses throws and has ints...Weve had those expectations set from devitos play last year and I expected more out of him. And I think a lot of people here expected more out of him as well.
The Cali picks show that people expected more out of him.

I did actually. I made the case that we don’t get the kind of arm talent like Tommy that often and we should afford him every opportunity to build him into what he could become. You said cool stats don’t matter and you would pick “a winner”, lol. And you lowered yourself by calling me names, which I predicted.

Thats not exactly how the conversation went. Twice I said Welch wasn’t the guy and you keep throwing it in my face my pick is Welch when I explicitly said it is not. Twisting my words and then presenting it as facts is just as low as me calling you names. I also predicted you would do that, I actually said from the very start that’s what you would do. That’s my problem with you, you berate people with the guise of facts if they don’t present the same thoughts you have. Then you twist the conversation around and cherry pick information and stats to support what you’re saying. Have a nice day.

Maybe savior isn’t the best word then, but don’t you think that people are now putting Welch up on a pedestal? Only after two TDs against what everybody is saying is a poor team.

And let me be clear in now way am I trying to say that devito needs to play regardless of his performance, give us the best player to win if it’s Welch or Rex or Devito, or Elmore at QB...but I just dont want people to be let down and then shocked when Welch has a poor game and misses throws and has ints...Weve had those expectations set from devitos play last year and I expected more out of him. And I think a lot of people here expected more out of him as well.
The Cali picks show that people expected more out of him.
No. I think most understand Welch's limitations and that he isn't the long term answer.

Hey guys

How effective would Welch be if a team had tape on him and could game plan for him?

Probably much less effective.

Everyone loves the backup QB

Hey guys

How effective would Welch be if a team had tape on him and could game plan for him?

Probably much less effective.

Everyone loves the backup QB

It may also open up the run game more as the D schemes to keep Welch in the pocket. We won’t know till we see it. We also have no idea if Welch will continue throwing the ball in the dirt and missing receivers or if that was caused by sitting on the bench most of his college career.

Clay Welch has been biding his time and now opportunity knocks. Win the last 5 games of the season, get a bowl win and get drafted into the Show. Go get it.

Clay Welch has been biding his time and now opportunity knocks. Win the last 5 games of the season, get a bowl win and get drafted into the Show. Go get it.

cous, I mean ... you ok bro

See, we don't disagree on everything related to SU football.

Getting drafted...:rolleyes::confused:
I too will give him a pass for his short passing inaccuracy due to rust and nerves. He does have good touch on long balls and throws 50/50 balls that give his receiver a real shot at it, and he can scramble and run and he is 6-5 250. So yea, if he surprised on the upside, he could get taken in the draft. That certainly should be a motivation for him to go for it.

I too will give him a pass for his short passing inaccuracy due to rust and nerves. He does have good touch on long balls and throws 50/50 balls that give his receiver a real shot at it, and he can scramble and run and he is 6-5 250. So yea, if he surprised on the upside, he could get taken in the draft. That certainly should be a motivation for him to go for it.

Since everything else I thought I knew about football has been destroyed this year, sure, let’s go with Welch getting drafted.

Since everything else I thought I knew about football has been destroyed this year, sure, let’s go with Welch getting drafted.
I think we've achieved a breakthrough. 6-5 250 guys that can run are a very small sample.

TD will start vs FSU, and will have a nice day

this statement is 1 billion percent more likely than Welch getting drafted by an NFL or XFL team

TD will start vs FSU, and will have a nice day

this statement is 1 billion percent more likely than Welch getting drafted by an NFL or XFL team
Thank you o great omniscient one. You do know that Tom Brady was all but unwanted and undrafted going in the 6th round as a lark pick by BB. That is the winningest quarterback in NFL history.

He can get better but I thinks it’s far fetched to think he has any chance or getting drafted. He still played a rough game against Pitt, he did some nice things but it was still WAY below any level of NFL play. Maybe he gets substantially better but that’s a better thought to throw out there 3 games from now if he happens to be crushing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom