Clemson/Cuse game | Syracusefan.com

Clemson/Cuse game

Chase1396

Walk On
I apologize for posting another thread. Anyways how do you feels about your game with us this year? Do you think it will be a shoot out or a one sided game(being in Clemson or Syracuse's favor?) I know it is hard to tell before the season even starts but honestly I don't know anything about what Syracuse's team has coming back this year. I know you had a hell of a QB last year . My prediction Clemson-31 Cuse- 24
What do you people think?

I apologize for posting another thread. Anyways how do you feels about your game with us this year? Do you think it will be a shoot out or a one sided game(being in Clemson or Syracuse's favor?) I know it is hard to tell before the season even starts but honestly I don't know anything about what Syracuse's team has coming back this year. I know you had a hell of a QB last year . My prediction Clemson-31 Cuse- 24
Cuse - 44
Clemson -0

Tough prediction to make for real considering our QB situation. The real question is does Shafer get his team up for the big game like HCDM did the last couple of years. We saw last year against a very good Lousiville and a pretty good WVU that the talent and ability is there. I think this ga,e could go either way as non-committal as that sounds. Bottom line I would not be shocked if Cuse pulled it out, but the edge goes to Clemson at this point in regards to overall talent

I know most non Syracuse people won't give us a chance, but Shafer has shown he can draw up some amazing defensive game plans in big games . I know he now said its Bullough's show, but I have to think we will be involved in some way with the game planning . Expect a ton of exotic blitzing. The guys should be flying around that night as the Dome will be absolutely rocking. It's all going to depend on how well your offensive line can pick up the blitz and just how decisive Boyd can be . We have shown up big time the last 2 years against highly ranked teams blowing them both out of the building. I don't exactly expect that to happen this season, but I have no doubt it will be a highly competitive game.

This game will come down to how well the Cuse offense is playing. The Cuse D is clearly the strength of this year's team heading into the season opener with so many question marks on O. With that being said, our D is physical as hell, will hit harder than likely any other team Clemson will play all year (sans maybe South Carolina & Clowney) and will constantly put pressure on Boyd. You guys have some really talented players so I am really looking forward to seeing our D go toe-to-toe with your O. If our offense can't get alot going, this could get really one-sided, really quick.

Regardless, so pumped to get Clemson into the Dome. Lock 'em in!

This game may just be who wants it more. If Clemson is 3-1 or 4-0 and not focused on this game they could lose. If they are angry over what happened in their previous games and look to destroy SU because they have already been embarrassed, that will make it extremely tough for the Orange. SU's back could be against the wall as they could easily be 2-2 at the time they play and this will be a put up or shut up game for the real orange.

A lot of games before the battle of the orange and injuries could also change a lot of things before the two finally play.

As others have said, we don't really know what we have yet. How effective will the new QB be? Can we get pressure on the QB without resorting to blitzing every down? Will a couple of the new receivers step up? Will the reconstructed OL hold up? How well will the new staff manage the game and make adjustments?

Lots of questions.

Clemson should be favored (even with a loss vs Georgia) - even if we manage to be undefeated at that point. I think if you come up here unprepared and don't take the Cuse seriously - it could be a repeat of Louisville last year and WVU the year before.

Shafer and the D will be able to scheme your playmakers out of the game (watch the pinstripe bowl) with a combination of unexpected blitzes and disciplined defense. Our D-line might be the weakest part of the D - but every where else is pretty stout. Hope you have a good running game.

Our O is the big wild card. It could be pretty potent with a decent line, great RB's and a big play or two in the passing game. But if we lose this game, it will be due to the O not scoring enough - or turnovers.

This I can say with confidence - the dome will be unlike any place you've played in the past bunch of years. We expect a huge, very loud crowd for our first ACC game. And Shafer is the heartbeat of this team - jury's out on his HC ability. But he gets his guys ready to run through a wall for him. The D will leave bruises. Tough like our winters.

Welcome to the north east. And locked doors.

As others have intimated, West Virginia and Louisville came into the dome cocky the last few years, and left with their tails tucked firmly between their legs. That same Louisville team went and beat up Florida a few weeks later. Teddy Bridgewater and Geno Smith were expecting to light it up and ended up spending much of their respective games looking up at teflon.

That being said, if our OL doesn't gel and our passing game doesn't come together, we could be in for a long day.

Who knows at this point.

Clemson should be favored (even with a loss vs Georgia) - even if we manage to be undefeated at that point. I think if you come up here unprepared and don't take the Cuse seriously - it could be a repeat of Louisville last year and WVU the year before.

Shafer and the D will be able to scheme your playmakers out of the game (watch the pinstripe bowl) with a combination of unexpected blitzes and disciplined defense. Our D-line might be the weakest part of the D - but every where else is pretty stout. Hope you have a good running game.

Our O is the big wild card. It could be pretty potent with a decent line, great RB's and a big play or two in the passing game. But if we lose this game, it will be due to the O not scoring enough - or turnovers.

This I can say with confidence - the dome will be unlike any place you've played in the past bunch of years. We expect a huge, very loud crowd for our first ACC game. And Shafer is the heartbeat of this team - jury's out on his HC ability. But he gets his guys ready to run through a wall for him. The D will leave bruises. Tough like our winters.

Welcome to the north east. And locked doors.
Good summary...can't wait for this game. Trying to get everyone I know to buy tickets for this game. Would love a sell out crowd.

Really looking forward to that game. Clemson is seen by many as a national title contender and has a lot of talent. Boyd is an exciting player and should drive the outcome of your season. Other than our game I hope you have great success. We should have a good defense, a strong running game, and our best home crowd in a while. I expect a close game and hope the home crowd helps our cause. I like your score but really hope you have it backwards.

Cuse 24
Clemson 19

Simply because of SU's ability to show up on game day against big time QB's.

Bridgewater, Geno Smith, BJ Daniels, etc.

As others have intimated, West Virginia and Louisville came into the dome cocky the last few years, and left with their tails tucked firmly between their legs. That same Louisville team went and beat up Florida a few weeks later. Teddy Bridgewater and Geno Smith were expecting to light it up and ended up spending much of their respective games looking up at teflon.

That being said, if our OL doesn't gel and our passing game doesn't come together, we could be in for a long day.

Who knows at this point.

I think Faegan is right on here. If the Oline plays like it did before Pugh returned last year, then there is little chance of beating Clemson. But if a RT emerges, then I expect the home crowd/dome advantage to make this game look a lot like the last two years when highly ranked opponents came to Syracuse for night games. I can't even begin to predict a score until I see what the OLine looks like against PSU and Northwestern those first two weeks.

Syracuse may have questions at QB and WR but Clemson had a lot of issues with their pass defense last year going from 50th to 71st. Clemson this year has a very unsettled CB situation and Safety is a very thin position with players who have never had a career start and only freshmen for backups. So I think it is too early for Clemson fans to being predicting a win.

The game between our D and Clemson's O will be the show. Boyd is for real and he has targets. Syracuse D is aggressive , creative and punishing.

The winner will be determined by our O v. the Clemson D. Neither of which is proven. We bring the best RB crew in the league, we will move the ball. Our QB and OL need to perform to decent levels to win. Clemson's D was weak last season and going into this season, they remain unproven, especially for a national title contender.

Syracuse by 7.

Come back to us after our game with Ped State.

The Syracuse fans who think they know what this team will play like in 2013 are fooling themselves.

I'm more excited for this game than any on our schedule this year. I think Syracuse will surprise the nation this year, and can't be taken lightly. One thing I think may determine the outcome will be Sammy Watkins' ability to get open and make big plays. Although he is an electric player, and my favorite non-Syracuse player, I think the Syracuse locks him down. He will again be the main focus of the defense due to the departure of Hopkins, add that to the fact that the Syracuse secondary is loaded with experienced players and I believe that the REAL Orange come out on top in a surprisingly low scoring game.

Come back to us after our game with Ped State.

The Syracuse fans who think they know what this team will play like in 2013 are fooling themselves.

To an extent. But there are many known quantities - including the continuity from Shafer on D. I also think that what ever plagued them the last two seasons was exorcised as a program. They've learned how to win. There will be carry over from that, too many key players remember + Shafer.

Boyd definitely is my biggest concern about the Clemson game. As good as our D was last year against the run, our pass rush was very inconsistent and mobile quarterbacks have a tradition of hurting us, see Cincinatti last year and their 57 yards on 9 carries along with how many more times they kept plays alive.

I've seen far too many games influenced by a dynamic QB, whether it be Graves or McNabb on our side or more than a few others on teams we faced, to discount the way Boyd could put his stamp on this game.

The game between our D and Clemson's O will be the show. Boyd is for real and he has targets. Syracuse D is aggressive , creative and punishing.

The winner will be determined by our O v. the Clemson D. Neither of which is proven. We bring the best RB crew in the league, we will move the ball. Our QB and OL need to perform to decent levels to win. Clemson's D was weak last season and going into this season, they remain unproven, especially for a national title contender.

Syracuse by 7.

To your point...

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) - Clemson coach Dabo Swinney has the same worries about the Tigers secondary as almost anyone who watched them surrender too many big plays last season.
More than two weeks into fall football camp, Swinney has seen progress but not nearly enough to ease his concerns heading into the opener when the eighth-ranked Tigers take on No. 5 Georgia on August 29.
“Everybody knows that’s the area of our team that’s got to improve the most,” Swinney said. “We’ve made improvement, but nowhere what we need to be the type of caliber team we want to have.”
And that’s a lot, based on last year.
The Tigers were 71st nationally and sixth in the ACC with 240 passing yards allowed. Only Duke (29) and Maryland (24) gave up more passing touchdowns in the league last year than Clemson’s 23.
When an opponent got to the secondary on the way to the end zone, it was a good bet they wouldn’t get caught from behind either: 16 of 39 opponent touchdowns went for 20 yards or more.
Injuries took a toll on the secondary in 2012.
Expected cornerback starter Martin Jenkins was lost before the season began with a hernia. Darius Robinson, another cornerback, started six games last fall until fracturing his ankle in mid-October and missing the final six games. Starting cornerback Bashaud Breeland missed the last two games after getting hurt.
Also gone is safety Rashard Hall, who led the team with four interceptions and was perhaps the secondary’s best at game-changing plays.
The group has a new leader, too, in defensive backs coach Mike Reed, who was hired from North Carolina State to replace Charlie Harbison. Harbison left after the season to become co-defensive coordinator at Auburn.
This fall, the injured players are healthy and Clemson has brought in a slew of young talent to address the shortfall in the secondary.
“We’ve got to make sure this year the secondary isn’t the problem,” said Breeland, a junior who’s started 12 of 24 games he’s played at Clemson.
Swinney and his staff did their part in recruiting, signing eight defensive backs in last February’s class including highly regarded Mackensie Alexander, a 5-foot-11, 185 pound player from Immokalee, Fla., who was ranked the fourth-best overall prospect by ESPN.com.
Swinney wanted young players who’d push the older guys into stepping up their game. That’s what has happened so far in camp, said defensive tackle Carlos Watkins.
“Actually, those young guys are looking pretty good,” Watkins said. “Nobody’s perfect and, of course, everybody’s going to make mistakes. But just watching them play, the plays they’re making against our great receivers, it’s really great to see that.”
Sammy Watkins, Clemson’s All-American receiver, says he’s been pushed hard by all the defensive backs, no matter their experience.
“We’re seeing them get better,” he said.
Jenkins, Breeland, Robinson and Garry Peters, who started five of Clemson’s final eight games last year, have the leg up on the cornerback spots. Travis Blanks, a freshman standout at linebacker in 2012, has moved to his more natural spot at safety. Junior Robert Smith looks to have locked down the other safety spot over freshman Jadar Johnson.
Korrin Wiggins, another true freshman, could get the first call when the Tigers go to their five defensive back sets.
Not everything has gone smoothly this fall. Alexander has been hampered by a groin injury that kept him out of practice until last week, while safety Jayron Kearse (nephew of ex-NFL All-Pro Jevon “The Freak” Kearse) injured his shoulder at Clemson’s scrimmage last Saturday.
Both were counted on to play this fall, but Swinney says he’ll have to see how their recoveries progress before deciding if they can go this season or will be redshirted.
Defensive coordinator Brent Venables says the lack of depth in the position means the Tigers must count on inexperienced players this fall.
“We knew going in that those guys would have to play,” he said. “Ready or not, here we come.”

It would be one of the biggest upsets of the year for us to win. We have to keep everything in front of us. If we make Clemson earn it with long drives we might just pull this out. I expect us to try and run the ball down clemsons throat and to do everything possible to prevent the big play. Who knows the dome will be rocking and a break or two and we might just pull of the upset. Talent wise clemson wins 7-10 games if not 8-10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom