Clemson FSU gone? | Syracusefan.com

Clemson FSU gone?

normaliswear

Starter
Cory Fravel@CoryFravel
My sources confirm an agreement in principle has been reached for Clemson to join the Big12

Not 100% how credible this guys is but guy seems somewhat legit.

It's Saturday night.

Who did they reach an agreement with ... a janitor in the Clemson AD's office???

Everybody of importance is in Charlotte at the NASCAR race. ;)

Everyone I know in the media that follows this guy say he's legit. I haven't paid as close attention to him in the past as others to give an opinion, but my friends say he's Gold.

It's Saturday night.

Who did they reach an agreement with ... a janitor in the Clemson AD's office???

Everybody of importance is in Charlotte at the NASCAR race. ;)

pretty sure we joined the acc on a sat night...

Wasn't it a Friday night and then supposedly Marinatto found out about it at a game on Saturday?

Cheers,
Neil

you may be right on that...

do not believe any team will move prior to conclusion of NC discussion and how it will be arrived at. For example, do the four conferences of B1g, Pac12, Big 12 and SEC get a format that clearly favors them? If so, than 4 super conferences are coming quickly. If not, the ACC still has football life and could actually be the best conference for a top team like FSU, ND to play in--easier road to conference championship.
It does seem as if the ACC has been trumped, but I am waiting somewhat impatiently for an announcement from the ACC that may from a PR perspective turn all this negativity around. On the other hand, should football be the end all of college sports?

This Corey Fravel guy writes for cemetery-hill.com, a Clemson website. If he's to be believed, Clemson has been planning this move for some time. That website is a really disconcerting read.

I dont get Clemson moving to the Big XII. If anything I pegged them as an SEC team.

I still cant believe the Big XII went from its deathbed to shotcaller in a years time.

I don't get Clemson either other than they would be a partner for FSU to join. In the end, I just thing this whole thing with FSU & Clemson is stupid and totally emotionally based. I don't believe all the math that the Big12 members are putting out there either.

If I'm a Clemson or FSU fan I don't want the Big XII.
I would not look forward to roadies to Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Iowa & West Virginia.

Clemson & FSU are attempting to force the SEC into grabbing them by using the same tactic as Missouri trying weasel their way into the B1G.

As long as there is no domino effect we will be fine. It won't change a whole lot FB wise. Heck it will even improve our chances of making the ACC CG. BBall wise it could actually make things better if we add UConn to the ACC.

North- BC, UConn, SU, Pitt, MD, VT and one of Louisville, Rutgers, Temple
South- UVA, UNC, Duke, NC St, Wake, GA Tech, Miami

As long as there is no domino effect we will be fine. It won't change a whole lot FB wise. Heck it will even improve our chances of making the ACC CG. BBall wise it could actually make things better if we add UConn to the ACC.

give me UConn & Louisville then. RU & Temple bring nothing to the table.

If this is true and Clem and FSU are leaving and if only they are leaving I don't want to expand unless its adds something to the TV market footprint or to football. Lville might do that... although at this point they may be holding out for a Big12 slot. Then maybe Temple for Philly. But without ND I don't see any reason for UConn or Rutgers.

IF this is true you can kiss the talk of ND to the ACC good-bye. ND won't join an unstable conference. Which is what the ACC would be without Clemson/FSU

Cory Fravel@CoryFravel
My sources confirm an agreement in principle has been reached for Clemson to join the Big12

Not 100% how credible this guys is but guy seems somewhat legit.

Put me down as not believing any of this comes to fruition. I don know how the voting works in the Big 12, but I cant believe Kansas, Kansas St. Iowa St., Baylor, TCU and WVU would want to take action that would further marginalize there status within the conference. I would think the same would apply to Texas Tech and Oklahoma, but they likely have to fall in line with their more successful peers.

The only way i could see this happening is if the Pac 12 strikes first. Since they are conceivably out of realistic options, sans maybe BYU, there is no way they can get to 14/16 without poaching from the Big 12.

The ironic thing about the FSU switch is that FSU was supposed to be the football cash cow, driving up revenue for the ACC. Instead, their slide to mediocrity has resulted in their searching for a safeharbor. Frankly, they are like the little boats in the storm that move in close to the big boats (Texas) to get out of harms way. What's odd is, taking out money as a consideration (which i realize you cant do), from a continuity standpoint, the ACC really is on par with the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 in terms of membership. It is the Big 12 who's situation is most tenuous.

The ACC can survive the loss of FSU and Clemson as long as the others stay put --particularly Miami and Georgia Tech. Even at a lower payout than the Super 4 conferences, it certainly isn't bad. I don't think Miami's admin will leave the ACC nor GTech. I absolutely believe that the Virginia legislature will not allow VaTech to leave because it would financially harm UVA. I think UNC, UVA, and Duke will stay until the house burns to the ground. They are highly committed to the ACC and have no need to fear that if the worst happened they would find a seat in the B1G. If the ACC loses 2 schools I believe they will have to replace them to maintain the media contract. I would hope they would swallow the academics and invite Louisville which is by far the best football/athletic program available and I bet they would prefer the ACC to going to the Big 12. The Big 12 may want to stop at 12 at least for a while. The other school should probably be UConn who just brings a better athletic program than Rutgers (who brings zero on field) and is equal in academic standing. There doesn't appear to be a reason to go to 16 unless it included ND who I assume will remain independent for now. The ACC would still be financially viable even as the #5 conference and remain a far better situation than the Big East.

If this thing goes to 16/18 or 20 it may just push the ACC out because it'll be a run at the bank and schools will be rushing out to make sure they have a seat at the big boy table. One thing that surprises me is that the Big 10 would go against the academic standards they supposedly stood for by standing with the SEC and Big 12. Let's face it, these are teams not academic institutions much like outsourcing and saying it's made in America. Swofford went with Delaney and not Slive and it could be the ACC's undoing unless he can get ND and even now that might not be enough...I hope I'm wrong.

It would quite ironic if North Carolina joined the SEC after their leader was the one that ruined the ACC. I don't think that would happen but he does have a certain sleeze to him that I don't trust and NC and VT would be the perfect 2 to add for the SEC.