Clemson Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time it was
Girard 18 points on 6 attempts

Judah 14 points on 18 attempts
Clemson has more options to score - they are balanced, we are getting some better balance but aren’t there yet offensively. It’s a mix of not having more potent options and not creating options by executing our offense with effective ball movement. Guess SU playing 7 sophomores vs 2 grad students, 2 Sr’s, a Jr and 2 sophomores for Clemson gives them a development and experience edge. Next year they will be in a major rebuild particularly if Hall doesn’t return for a 5th year.

Defensively we just don’t stop teams if we don’t get it off steals or turnovers. Bad matchups inside, they had 12 more points in the paint then we did. Clemson had 5 steals to our 4 - we average over 9 steals a game but Clemson took care of the ball. Schieffelin had 16 points and 16 rebounds besides Hall’s 25 points, who added 7 rebounds. Those 2 Clemson players had 23 rebounds, our team had 26 rebounds in total. Ball game.

Once we’re in the NIT I hope they play inspired basketball.
You think this bunch has the character and leadership to play inspired in the NIT???

It's funny reading everyone's complaints about the offense. We scored 45 points in the 2nd half.

And gave up 48.
....and sounds like a loss to me

Clemson has more options to score - they are balanced, we are getting some better balance but aren’t there yet offensively. It’s a mix of not having more potent options and not creating options by executing our offense with effective ball movement. Guess SU playing 7 sophomores vs 2 grad students, 2 Sr’s, a Jr and 2 sophomores for Clemson gives them a development and experience edge. Next year they will be in a major rebuild particularly if Hall doesn’t return for a 5th year.

Defensively we just don’t stop teams if we don’t get it off steals or turnovers. Bad matchups inside, they had 12 more points in the paint then we did. Clemson had 5 steals to our 4 - we average over 9 steaks a game but Clemson took care of the ball. Schieffelin had 16 points and 16 rebounds besides Hall’s 25 points, who added 7 rebounds. Those 2 Clemson players had 23 rebounds, our team had 26 rebounds in total. Ball game.
PJ has never left the low country, if he plays in college next year it will be at Clemson bless his soul

Idk maybe running some sets and plays to scheme our players open.
Yeah. What plays do you run when you have no low post game. And you are terrible outside shooting team. Our one great shooter, isn't right now, a Rautins run him off screens type of guy. There is no magic formula. And we seem to score enough to win. It's the other end of the court where we are lacking. We scored 75 pts tonight. That should be enough to win. At least not lose by 15.

Yeah. What plays do you run when you have no low post game. And you are terrible outside shooting team. Our one great shooter, isn't right now, a Rautins run him off screens type of guy. There is no magic formula. And we seem to score enough to win. It's the other end of the court where we are lacking. We scored 75 pts tonight. That should be enough to win. At least not lose by 15.
Id love to see them run 1 single double screen.

Defensively we just don’t stop teams if we don’t get it off steals or turnovers. Bad matchups inside, they had 12 more points in the paint then we did. Clemson had 5 steals to our 4 - we average over 9 steaks a game but Clemson took care of the ball. Schieffelin had 16 points and 16 rebounds besides Hall’s 25 points, who added 7 rebounds. Those 2 Clemson players had 23 rebounds, our team had 26 rebounds in total. Ball game.
Thank you. That is all.

jelly donut defense inside. any touch in the paint was 2 points and or a foul. copeland kept us close with some tough D and his usual collection of circus shots but this one was never really close. interesting to watch JG3 playing against his former team (and i would guess childhood favorite). total change of allegiance and duty and a keen desire to put us away. wish i could have seen the handshake line, he beat us twice. must feel nice.
or was it more like my buddy Big Head Todd likes to say ...

It's bittersweet
More sweet than bitter

Bitter than sweet

Last edited:
Does everyone forget that we , this board included, ran Joe out of town. And next year, If Mintz is playing for someone else, and I am pretty sure he will be, we will be singing the same song about him that people are saying about Joe.
Yup.
We'll get Jesse back and he, Highlander, Carey, Patterson, and three other seven footers will foul Mintz to the tune of 45 free throw attempts. It will sting.

I can understand Girard having the highest three point percentage of his career this year due to playing off the ball more, but the fact that he’s having the highest free throw percentage of his career this year by a wide margin just means the universe hates us.

I can understand Girard having the highest three point percentage of his career this year due to playing off the ball more, but the fact that he’s having the highest free throw percentage of his career this year by a wide margin just means the universe hates us.
7b221ebd-71d5-42ec-b1b4-1cc1b24e36b2_text.gif

Yeah. But who to pass to? We are so limited. Taylor? Brown? he doesn't really work down low to get the ball. Bell? Great when he is left alone but when he isn't...Judah shoots too much but what is the alternative?
Somehow when Q runs the offense, the ball moves around... And when the ball moves, there's more off ball movement. Sometimes Judah does that, but more often he just pounds the ball out top.

I think one of the main issues is that he can't make the touch pass to Maliq that has to float over a defender. Sometimes he tries and it's usually a turnover. A point guard needs to be able to get the ball to Maliq for our offense to stand a chance. If Mintz can't do it, we get the type of game we got tonight.

Does everyone forget that we , this board included, ran Joe out of town. And next year, If Mintz is playing for someone else, and I am pretty sure he will be, we will be singing the same song about him that people are saying about Joe.
Nah mintz is as selfish and a me first player as I've ever seen at SU. Worse than MeShaun. Good riddance

I was just reading through Mike Waters social media posts. One from yesterday piqued my interest so I was reading the comments. It turned into a family member of a certain player on our team calling Mike a sloppy journalist for having the ACC points per game wrong for this particular player. Followed by how he ranks in scoring within the league. Pretty much tells me all I needed to know about a certain mentality. This team lacked a leader all year.

Game played out as expected, Clemsons better.
That was a clinic by Clemson. Just rewatched it. They had a few sloppy turnovers but outside of a few other possessions they either got exactly what they wanted in their set offense, or late in the shot clock went to work on a matchup they liked — often times it was Bell. Not picking on him but they knew where to go late in the clock.

They are a talented, well-coached team. We might get them once or twice out of 10 but they are just a better team right now. Sucks, but it is what it is. Hope we come back next year with a bit more nuance defensively and a bit more movement offensively.

0-4 from 3 as Joe is daring him to shoot it has got to be such an ego crusher. Hope Judah hits the gym every day for his sake.
It has to suck, agreed. But neither Judah nor Joe were the reason we lost this game. And that’s not pointing the finger at anyone, including Red. We just got outplayed by a better team.

Ironic given what I said about them a month ago, but we need to get better on defense in the offseason.

I'm not that concerned about the offensive pieces with this staff, but we give up way too many points to quality teams to be a contender.
Good teams have absolutely torched us all year … even in our big win vs UNC. We need to be able to dictate a bit more and add a few wrinkles on the defensive end.

It has to suck, agreed. But neither Judah nor Joe were the reason we lost this game. And that’s not pointing the finger at anyone, including Red. We just got outplayed by a better team.
Agreed. Never mentioned the game itself in the post at all. It’s just a fact that Judah simply hasn’t improved his outside shot and its desparately what he needed to do in the offseason. I mentioned Joe backing off him because clearly he saw him in practice last year and thought so much of his shot that he backed up to the free throw line. Now to Judah’s credit, to some degree, I’m shocked more people don’t guard him like that because he can get to the hole at will, at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom