Clemson ticket sales at the moment. | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson ticket sales at the moment.

Over 47,000 gone, approx. 2,230 left..

I am hopeful that we may get through another 500-600 on payday Friday then who knows what for a walkup...

I still think we have a shot at 1,500 more in the next 28 hours. To have a legit shot at a walkup sellout we need to probably get within 1K by COB today. Seems a stretch but who knows...

UPDATE:

1ST- 103!
2ND- 455
3RD- 2,014! (I still think there are some available that aren't open for sale. Tickets are moving fast though!!!)

46,690!! 600 tickets sold in 5 hours!!:eek:

LETS GO
Stub Hub has 263 tickets left.

Ticketmaster:
1st Level - 80
2nd Level - 403

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is an omen...just found this in a box of things of my Dad, the caption reads.
"A capacity and enthusiastic crowd of 50,564 watch opening night action on the Carrier Dome's synthetic field. The Orangemen christened the spectacular new facility with a 30-17 victory over Miami, OH."

rahme40001.jpg

I have a question about your football ticket sales:

You guys pack the dome for basketball every year. SU is #1 in attendance every year for hoops. Why can't you sell out a big game for football?

Now, I'm not going to make a lot of friends on here saying this, but hear me out: College football is tremendously popular-- much more so than college basketball is. Generally speaking, it's not close. This disastrous realignment and these insane TV contracts are about one thing: football. Now, I know that in Syracuse that's not the case. SU is a hoops school, first and foremost-- I get that. But considering what you're capable of for attendance when it comes to basketball, I would imagine that just the general popularity of football-- and your fan support when it comes to basketball-- would ensure an instant-sellout for a game like this.

When Clemson is good in basketball, and we've had our years under Barnes and Purnell, we sell out basketball games. Granted, LJ is only about 11,000 seats, but we do sell-out. When we played Kentucky in the Music City Bowl (2006 I believe), they brought probably 50,000 fans. It was insane. Kentucky's football history is a disaster-- it doesn't compare to Syracuse's. But their fan support is great. You see it for basketball and it translates to football as well.

I'm just surprised this isn't an easy sell-out considering the popularity of college football and based on your support for basketball.

Looking forward to the trip. GO TIGERS!

Maybe this is an omen...just found this in a box of things of my Dad, the caption reads.
"A capacity and enthusiastic crowd of 50,564 watch opening night action on the Carrier Dome's synthetic field. The Orangemen christened the spectacular new facility with a 30-17 victory over Miami, OH."

View attachment 5268

If you look real close, you can see me in Section 334.

You guys pack the dome for basketball every year. SU is #1 in attendance every year for hoops. Why can't you sell out a big game for football?

Now, I'm not going to make a lot of friends on here saying this, but hear me out: College football is tremendously popular-- much more so than college basketball is. Generally speaking, it's not close. This disastrous realignment and these insane TV contracts are about one thing: football. Now, I know that in Syracuse that's not the case. SU is a hoops school, first and foremost-- I get that. But considering what you're capable of for attendance when it comes to basketball, I would imagine that just the general popularity of football-- and your fan support when it comes to basketball-- would ensure an instant-sellout for a game like this.

When Clemson is good in basketball, and we've had our years under Barnes and Purnell, we sell out basketball games. Granted, LJ is only about 11,000 seats, but we do sell-out. When we played Kentucky in the Music City Bowl (2006 I believe), they brought probably 50,000 fans. It was insane. Kentucky's football history is a disaster-- it doesn't compare to Syracuse's. But their fan support is great. You see it for basketball and it translates to football as well.

I'm just surprised this isn't an easy sell-out considering the popularity of college football and based on your support for basketball.

Also our football team hasn't quite been at the level of our basketball team the past few years. We are making progress though.

Basketball does not use the entire dome, the court is placed in an end zone. When we have the big record crowds at basketball games you can't really see the court if you're late buying tickets. (You can see it but barely)

Basketball does not use the entire dome, the court is placed in an end zone. When we have the big record crowds at basketball games you can't really see the court if you're late buying tickets. (You can see it but barely)

I know that-- I've been there for both hoops and football... But the basketball support is tremendous regardless.

I know that-- I've been there for both hoops and football... But the basketball support is tremendous regardless.

We are asking the same question as you regarding football attendance.

I am hopeful that we may get through another 500-600 on payday Friday then who knows what for a walkup...

I still think we have a shot at 1,500 more in the next 28 hours. To have a legit shot at a walkup sellout we need to probably get within 1K by COB today. Seems a stretch but who knows...

Walk ups are not as much as they used to be due to the price structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would attribute it to the fact that the Northeast in general has always (and will always) be more NFL fans than College football fans.

It's tough to ask a general sports fan (obviously anyone who posts on a sports forum is not the general sports fan) to spend both weekend days following and watching football. So given the choice the large majority of football fans would spend a sunday watching the NFL. College football tailgating is something a lot of us didn't grow up with engrained in the culture like it is in the south.

Particularly in New York, there is no Alabama or LSU since the state school system is a network of over 64 different colleges/universities with the largest student base probably around 20-30k (buffalo/albany).

Biggest reason? In basketball we have a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing every year and have for a very long time. This prolonged success breeds a passionate fan base.

It's really the opposite for football. No prolonged success, no real shot at a BCS championship ever. We came closer in the 80's and then again with McNabb's years and the dome was filled for the big games.

My guess is it's going to take prolonged success, a special player or two, and a real shot at the ACC BCS bid in consecutive years.

Also - make no mistake - there is an underground kind of passion for football that just needs to be reignited. We were once a football school 1st - and it's an open debate whether we'll ever get back to that. I think yes.

Walk ups are not as much as they used to be due to the price structure.

You are probably right...only reason I am hoping some may move is the $35 third deckers. But I agree. Someone else said 2K was a normal walkup back in the golden years. I am thinking half that would be fabulous.

It seems as though there have been no fewer than 100 threads over the past couple of years addressing the same question. Not worth getting into all of the issues again here (take a look around and you will see), but the hope is that we are on our way back. The late 80s and early-mid 90s you didn't have to ask this question as much...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

The simple answer is college football in the Northeast is not as popular as college basketball. Add to that the fact we've had a basketball team that has not had a losing season since the Johnson administration and you have a recipe for basketball being much more popular.

Then sprinkle in the end of Coach Pasqualoni's time here, and the GRob era and you have a disenfranchised fan base that is now in a constant 'wait and see' mode with the football team. In the '90s we had average attendance upwards of 46,ooo a year. In 1999 (the year after McNabb left) our average attendance was nearly 47,000. It was the last decade that really destroyed the good will of the community. It also doesn't help that the President of SU once said that the football fans need to "get a life" because fans were calling for the termination of Pasqualoni after a series of bad years.

Many people did just that. They left in droves. It's going to take a 10-2 type season for the average fan to come back at this point. Syracuse is also an 'event' town. A lot of people don't have a close tie to the university, and wouldn't go to games unless a big time opponent shows up. Essentially they go for the event, not to root on their team.

People can add on to this, but I think this covers most of the reasons.

Unfortunately you're preaching to the choir. College football is exploding in popularity. Syracuse is in an exciting conference with a great home slate every year. We have an offense that seems capable of putting up point. We have an exciting defense that for better or worse brings the house on most every play. You would think that would get the locals out to the game.

Another thing is winning. Our basketball team is in the midst of a wildly successful run. If we could get some ACC CG appearances and wins over Clemson and FSU, we could get some excitement around the program. We also have to schedule smarter. For decades we've lost early games to strong OOC competition that kills whatever buzz builds up over the summer.

Realistically, the Dome with more than 40,000 gets loud and looks decent on tv. If we could average 40-41,000 actual butts in the seat I would be happy with the occasional spike to 47,000 like we will see tomorrow.

AlbCuse & Cusian,

Great points, all make sense. Full disclosure: I am from NJ and grew up a die-hard 'Cuse fan. My diploma certainly changed my loyalties, but I cheer for the 'Cuse in everything and my fondest memories of growing up revolve around Syracuse hoops. It's what I cared about first and foremost (the Mets and the Jets coming second). The breakup of the Big East hurts me because that's what I grew up on-- the best and baddest hoops in the land.

Unfortunately you're preaching to the choir. College football is exploding in popularity. Syracuse is in an exciting conference with a great home slate every year. We have an offense that seems capable of putting up point. We have an exciting defense that for better or worse brings the house on most every play. You would think that would get the locals out to the game.

Another thing is winning. Our basketball team is in the midst of a wildly successful run. If we could get some ACC CG appearances and wins over Clemson and FSU, we could get some excitement around the program. We also have to schedule smarter. For decades we've lost early games to strong OOC competition that kills whatever buzz builds up over the summer.

Realistically, the Dome with more than 40,000 gets loud and looks decent on tv. If we could average 40-41,000 actual butts in the seat I would be happy with the occasional spike to 47,000 like we will see tomorrow.

One comment on this...present day early season non-con losses to USC, Penn State and Northwestern are very different from circa late 90's early season losses to the likes of NC State and East Carolina...Neither is a good scenario, and I agree we need to think differently over the early non-con games we pick...but the early season losses then and now are for very different reasons...

Just saw a guy drive by with two Clemson flags on his car... they're heeeeeere...

If we win those games it would have helped the program...of c
I gotta say, SU did something smart here...it seems that they released the 3rd tier cheaper seats on the visiting side last week and held a bunch for the home side and end zones until this week. In other words...the side of the stadium most likely to be on camera is going to be virtually full...there will be some small gaps up on high in the end zones and home side corners, but I dont think will be visible on the tube (and even those I bet will be reduced by half between now and kickoff)

Smart (or lucky but probably very planned).

If we have 48k + at the dome, it really doesn't matter.