Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker)

As it happened with the state of Florida, People VASTLY underestimate the power Disney wields. They didn't rewrite laws for over 70 years by accident. If Disney says FSU and Clemson can leave (AKA they go to the SEC), they will leave but if they want them to stay (AKA if Fox and the Big 10 want them), they are staying.

This happens all the time in law.
Exactly. Contracts are made to be broken. Someone didn’t just say that, it’s true. Renegotiated is more like it. The ACC will cease to exist soon and those leaving will have a better exit deal than they have now. They will negotiate a settlement, the conference will get some money (but not as much as was originally agreed) and we’ll be playing in some sort of lesser league somewhere, whether it’s the ACC with James Madison in it or some other crazy patchwork, or the Big12 or something. The thing SU has to worry about is the Dome. How the heck do you maintain that facility while attracting 10k fans?

They might both lose

But is it worth the $$$$$ for the ACC to fight these in courts? It’s not like it’s free

Add in UNC and VA lawsuits and it’s easier just to negotiate and work out a deal
Do you think UVA and UNC would take it that far? I get people saying they will exit quickly once Clemson and FSU do the dirty work, but do you think they will sue the league they basically own/run?

C.R.E.A.M. I guess

I can assure JW is no idiot

He’s explored, planned and has back up on back up plans

The hiring of Fran Brown and the explosion of talent was no coincidence.

JW knew that hired needed to be a home run or they wouldn’t have a seat at the table
The hire was a good one, but a home run designation will require some results on the field to match some buzz in recruiting. Dan Mullen would've been a home run, Coach Brown is more a solid showing in the home run derby but we gotta see how does with live pitches.

As it happened with the state of Florida, People VASTLY underestimate the power Disney wields. They didn't rewrite laws for over 70 years by accident. If Disney says FSU and Clemson can leave (AKA they go to the SEC), they will leave but if they want them to stay (AKA if Fox and the Big 10 want them), they are staying.

Florida actually won the court case against Disney, ESPN/Disney still hold massive sway but its not 2004, Fox and streaming have taken a big chunk.

Do you think UVA and UNC would take it that far? I get people saying they will exit quickly once Clemson and FSU do the dirty work, but do you think they will sue the league they basically own/run?

C.R.E.A.M. I guess
The problem is nobody has a landing spot that’s guaranteed for more money, and that’s even before the uncertainty of the exit cost. The huge windfall of tv contracts isn’t there yet. Look at the discount Oregon and Washington took. The other conferences can wait and pick off schools on the cheap at this point.

The problem is nobody has a landing spot that’s guaranteed for more money, and that’s even before the uncertainty of the exit cost. The huge windfall of tv contracts isn’t there yet. Look at the discount Oregon and Washington took. The other conferences can wait and pick off schools on the cheap at this point.
Don't you think UVA and UNC know they have a guaranteed spot in the B10?

Florida actually won the court case against Disney, ESPN/Disney still hold massive sway but its not 2004, Fox and streaming have taken a big chunk.
That is true, Florida won the case that was claiming political retaliation, the more impactful one for Disney directly deals with the special district poison pill that rendered RDs board changes largely moot. That is a state case and one that I feel Disney has much more interest in. While i agree that their sway may have slightly shrunk, they are still the second largest streamer in the US, still hold the most popular sports service in the US and they have a heavily vested interest in maintaining the appeal of their sports network as it drives a significant share of their revenue via linear and DTC agreements.

The only real question at this point is whether administrators will realize that it makes more sense to thoughtfully create a Super League of 50-60 teams that can negotiate with media properties and collectively bargain with athletes… or will they not realize that because they’re reactive dolts, and instead end up with 2 power leagues and 1 half-power league who all try to do the same things?

I’m betting on the latter because we’ve seen for 25 years that college “leadership” is dumber than rocks.

Exactly

Which we found out with the FSU lawsuit, the ACC is in fact willing to negotiate an exit fee…whether they intentionally said you can buy your rights back or not, the cat is out of the bag
I know FSU talking heads thought it was a great victory when the ACC confirmed they would accept a market value settlement for an ACC school that wanted to leave.

I am not a lawyer but I suspect that the when you have a contract and there is a clear value for it, and a side wants out you have to accept that market value to buy out the contract.

There is a clear value for each ACC school that signed the GOR contract. It is the total value left on the contract, divided by 14, plus the exit fee. I believe the GOR value is $529 million and the exit fee $140 million. I don’t think anyone disagrees with this except FSU. FSU says because they should get c more than 1/14 of the TV money because they bring more value than the other ACC schools. 1/14 is a little more than 7%. If the court agrees with FSU’s contention they are worth more like 15% of the total value of the TV contract, that $529 more than doubles.

All the ACC did was say that yes, if they are presented with a fair buyout value from an ACC school, they will accept it. That shows the court they are acting in good faith and are reasonable.

Again I have never seen any legal expert not affliated with FSU say anything other than the ACC is going to win the lawsuit. If they do, I have yet to hear anyone explain a decent reason why the ACC would negotiate a dramatically lower exit fee from the conference. The only thing I have heard is that ‘discovery would be a nightmare’. Sorry, I don’t think any murders or major scandals would ensue if the lawsuit runs to completion. The ACC has an overwhelmingly strong case and is going to win.

Legal experts, please weigh in and explain to me where I am wrong on this.

The only real question at this point is whether administrators will realize that it makes more sense to thoughtfully create a Super League of 50-60 teams that can negotiate with media properties and collectively bargain with athletes… or will they not realize that because they’re reactive dolts, and instead end up with 2 power leagues and 1 half-power league who all try to do the same things?

I’m betting on the latter because we’ve seen for 25 years that college “leadership” is dumber than rocks.
I think the SU question is if they decide on elegance and figuring out the top 60 schools or so we have a real shot and Rutgers/Vanderbilt/Northwestern? are going to hit the streets. Our brand may matter if it's true musical chairs.

If the BIG/SEC decides to retain all members thick and thin, we're going to be on the outside looking in. Not sure it's any more binary than that.

Top 15 or whatever in football
Won 2 out of the last 3 NCs in soccer
Ranked 3rd in baseball
Made the tournament in basketball

So a couple I guess...

Threw that last one in there, ouch hurts , used our player to help get there. Double ouch !!

• Love
Reactions: gbo
I know FSU talking heads thought it was a great victory when the ACC confirmed they would accept a market value settlement for an ACC school that wanted to leave.

I am not a lawyer but I suspect that the when you have a contract and there is a clear value for it, and a side wants out you have to accept that market value to buy out the contract.

There is a clear value for each ACC school that signed the GOR contract. It is the total value left on the contract, divided by 14, plus the exit fee. I believe the GOR value is $529 million and the exit fee $140 million. I don’t think anyone disagrees with this except FSU. FSU says because they should get c more than 1/14 of the TV money because they bring more value than the other ACC schools. 1/14 is a little more than 7%. If the court agrees with FSU’s contention they are worth more like 15% of the total value of the TV contract, that $529 more than doubles.

All the ACC did was say that yes, if they are presented with a fair buyout value from an ACC school, they will accept it. That shows the court they are acting in good faith and are reasonable.

Again I have never seen any legal expert not affliated with FSU say anything other than the ACC is going to win the lawsuit. If they do, I have yet to hear anyone explain a decent reason why the ACC would negotiate a dramatically lower exit fee from the conference. The only thing I have heard is that ‘discovery would be a nightmare’. Sorry, I don’t think any murders or major scandals would ensue if the lawsuit runs to completion. The ACC has an overwhelmingly strong case and is going to win.

Legal experts, please weigh in and explain to me where I am wrong on this.
I think legally you are 100% right. I think there's merit to the damages that are here and if they are disproportionately penal. That's a real question for a court.

I think the existential issue is the bigger issue, not the legal one. What other schools are looking to leave b/c it's better for them. If a big portion of the league selects chaos, then who knows who's fighting for what

The "All Country Conference" with 3 divisions of 9 each?

Assuming Virginia & North Carolina to the B1G, and Clemson, FSU, VPI & NC State to the SEC.

East:
Boston College, Central Florida, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia.

Central:
Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Oklahoma State, TCU

West:
Arizona, Baylor, Arizona State, BYU, Cal, Colorado, Stanford, Texas Tech, Utah
I don't see the Big 12 doing that. Too many mouths to feed. Big 12 would like 4 of Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Duke, GT Tech, Miami. They likely won't be too picky. Whoever waits around to try to organize or rebuild the conference may be left out (see Wash St and Oregon St).

I don't see the Big 12 doing that. Too many mouths to feed. Big 12 would like 4 of Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Duke, GT Tech, Miami. They likely won't be too picky. Whoever waits around to try to organize or rebuild the conference may be left out (see Wash St and Oregon St).
It's also possible that the ACC will pick some B12 candidates when their TV deal expires (UCF, Cincy, TCU, WVU, ?).

The ACC left behinds IMO are better off staying left behind in the ACC. Make a national like minded school conference. So...

ACC
BC, SU, Nova
Pitt, UConn, USF
Duke, Wake, GA Tech
SMU, Rice, Tulane
Stanford, Cal, Colorado State
Army (FB only), Navy (FB only), Air Force (FB only)
Non FB: Notre Dame, St Johns, Georgetown
So 18 in both sports

B12
Louisville

B12 or SEC
VA Tech, NC State

B18/SEC
UVA, UNC, Clemson, FSU

Wherever they fit
Miami

That ACC would still be the 4th best FB conference and have access to the playoffs. Not a bad BBall conference either. Everyone in it would make less money that in a B12 but they also would have a chance to actually win in both sports. Going to the Big Franken 12 would just get these smaller schools lost in the shuffle. What is more important an extra $12M or so a year, or winning?