Cleveland is a bad situation for Dion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cleveland is a bad situation for Dion

To me as a disabled vet this is a slap in the face to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country by giving their life for it. Does he realize all that have given up so much so he has this right to express himself and practice his so called religion that he has just rededicated himself to? Dion has lost my respect and am embarrassed that he attended SU and I once cheered for him.

To me as a disabled vet this is a slap in the face to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country by giving their life for it. Does he realize all that have given up so much so he has this right to express himself and practice his so called religion that he has just rededicated himself to? Dion has lost my respect and am embarrassed that he attended SU and I once cheered for him.

So you are saying he should be thankful for being able to express himself by not expressing himself? what kind of logic is that. "Hey, you should be thankful you are able to NOT stand for the national anthem by...standing for the national anthem.". What?

Im not arguing the merits of his actions, simply the logic here. I will say this , I would like to hear his argument as to how the national anthem is contradictory to his religious belief. Last I checked, there was nothing in there about surrendering your soul or picking a deity. He has been given some bad advice here, but I am not going to hate on him for it.

So you are saying he should be thankful for being able to express himself by not expressing himself? what kind of logic is that. "Hey, you should be thankful you are able to NOT stand for the national anthem by...standing for the national anthem.". What?

Im not arguing the merits of his actions, simply the logic here. I will say this , I would like to hear his argument as to how the national anthem is contradictory to his religious belief. Last I checked, there was nothing in there about surrendering your soul or picking a deity. He has been given some bad advice here, but I am not going to hate on him for it.
he gets paid millions of dollars to play a game plus now all of a sudden he is conviently a Muslim? To be honest I really don't care what your opinion is I think I have earned the right to my opinion even if you fail to see the logic in it. See I suffered a head injury serving my country and sometimes it is hard to express what I want to say and people on this board are quick to jump on it. It has gotten so bad in this country that our kids don't even say the pledge allegiance to the flag anymore cause it might offend someone. To me to stand and place your hand over your heart to our anthem is way to pay respect to those that have given us our rights that we enjoy in this country. I am probably rambling now and have just confused you more sorry STEVE HOLT that I am so stupid.

Last edited:
This latest action is just another indicator of Dion's muddled thought process.
Once the fans in Ohio digest the fact that Dion is a Muslim who doesn't stand for the national anthem, he's not going to be long for that team. It's not as if he's playing in liberal New York or L.A. I was watching the game last night, pulling hard for Dion to do well, and this morning I read about this, and now I could care less about Dion. He's an idiot. I wonder how his Israeli coach will react to that news?

I could care less about Dion. He's an idiot. I wonder how his Israeli coach will react to that news?

You could? ; )

Anyway when Lebron went to Miami players altered their game to play with him. This was because LBJ was the best player in the world and it was better to put stats aside for the greater good i.e. Four finals and two rings. Kyrie and Dion would be wise to follow Boshs example. But if it's Christmas and things still aren't working, Kyries not going to be the one that gets moved.

Part of me feels like Dion would just rather be option 1/1A on a turd getting his 25ppg on 35% shooting. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd rather see him as a second unit guy on a title contender than as a volume scorer on a lottery team.

Sixth Man serves Dion well on that team. Lebron praised him in that role as giving them energy, excitement, scoring and defense off the bench. I always thought Dion would be a less bizarre Lance Stephenson/JR Smith type on that team but after reading about him (not standing for the National Anthem because he's Muslim) he fits perfectly into that "bizarre, ultra-talented spark off the bench."

I don't even understand the significance of not standing for the National Anthem because he's Muslim. It's the Anthem for our country which includes people of the Muslim faith. Where is he going with this?

Seriously? If you were being sarcastic, apologies for me missing it.

The best place for Dion: Cleveland Cavaliers. Forget the BS on this board about him being written off and ridden out of town by the Cleveland press, blah blah, and conspiracy theories. Bunch if crap that you read here from the homers. Dion needs to learn how to play better defense (that he is capable of), improve his shot selection (which he may not be capable of), and understand his role (which we know he is capable of because he did it here). The problem with #3 is that he thinks he is a super star, and he's not. Until he figures out that checking his head at the door and playing his part...which may NEVER be more important in the league than next to LeBron...he'll continually be running himself toward the bottom of the league where guys who have talent fall because they can't play with stars (see: Ellis, Monta).

Dion needs to get his S together right now and play his role, because his is playing with two top 10 players in the league. Shut up, play defense, and let these guys being the game to you. If he could get it into his head that he'll raise his value be playing within the system, he'll be better off. Instead, he thinks he needs to compete with LeBron and Love for shots. Idiotic.

44cuse

I'm thinking you missed Monte Ellis' season in Dallas last year. He played really well on a good team, with Dirk.

Dion is such a lightning rod... and he thought this week was a good time to come out with this Natl Anthem crap?

I mean, I'm all for doing what you want to do - that's your right. But its also every American's right to criticize you and basically blackball you if they want to. Dion is just stoopid.

Once the fans in Ohio digest the fact that Dion is a Muslim who doesn't stand for the national anthem, he's not going to be long for that team. It's not as if he's playing in liberal New York or L.A. I was watching the game last night, pulling hard for Dion to do well, and this morning I read about this, and now I could care less about Dion. He's an idiot. I wonder how his Israeli coach will react to that news?
I'm pretty sure Dave Blatt doesn't care about any player's religion.
I'm more interested in seeing Dion's agent at Landmark Sports sitting in his office with his head in his hands.
Not respecting the national anthem is a good way to kill (or at least substantially undercut) your career.

Actually Dion is lucky he's not playing in NYC.
The story would be a candidate for front page of the NY Post & Daily News.
He'd be getting killed by the media and fans.
But you'd be hard pressed to even find the story in the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/

98% of the teams are a bad fit for Dion.

He should go to Philly where him and MCW can each hoist 50 shots a game, get their points/stats and you guys can fawn over them...while wondering why neither makes an all star team or gets 1 MVP vote.

Why is MCW being dragged into this? What has he done besides get drafted to a team trying to lose and actually give them something to cheer for? This post just seems so out of place.

Time to just come out and say it since few are willing to acknowledge it - Cleveland is a horrible place for Dion. It's already been decided that he's the problem. That judgment, so early in to this thing, is set in stone. Whatever he says or does, it's been decided that he's wrong, even if what he's being told is a contradiction.

Back when you were in highschool, did your group of buddies have a guy that was a part of everything, but kind of an outsider to the group? He was included because he was the designated friend that it was ok to bust on. He was there to make everyone feel better, and give everyone an outlet to pick on.

That's what Waiters is in Cleveland. Let's get rid of this myth that he has some great opportunity in Cleveland. He doesn't. He's the designated scapegoat. That sucks, and is not a good situation. He's being criticized for things that are problems with every player on that roster, but that doesn't matter so long as he's there to take the abuse.

You know who could really use him? The Pacers.
If Cleveland is a "bad" situation for dion, he should just retire. Getting to play alongside the best player in the game, chance to win titles, etc. dions career is turning out to be a joke.

If Cleveland is a "bad" situation for dion, he should just retire. Getting to play alongside the best player in the game, chance to win titles, etc. dions career is turning out to be a joke.
Nobody on that team has looked good this year. Dion came off the bench last night and had a great game. A little premature to call it a joke. Crazy sixth men have made a career off doing what the Cavs are asking Dion to do.

Nobody on that team has looked good this year. Dion came off the bench last night and had a great game. A little premature to call it a joke. Crazy sixth men have made a career off doing what the Cavs are asking Dion to do.
Dion has never been a guy that struck me as someone who could be a sixth man long term. He also doesn't seem to be improving as a player (which is disappointing BC I thought he could be really good) But the point of my post was that if he couldn't hang in Cleveland or is disgruntled there his career will be a joke.

Why is MCW being dragged into this? What has he done besides get drafted to a team trying to lose and actually give them something to cheer for? This post just seems so out of place.

He's long been going out of his way to rip on Syracuse athletes in the pros, unless they play well for one of his NY teams.

Dion had a very good game last night ... and luckily didn't suffer a career-ending injury when he was flagrantly fouled while defenseless in the air making a great shot. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/11/lebron_james_likes_dion_waiter.html

OrangeDW said:
I'm thinking you missed Monte Ellis' season in Dallas last year. He played really well on a good team, with Dirk.

As a W's fan I've seen 70% of his games so I know exactly what he is. And yes, that was his third best statistical season and clearly his most productive from a team perspective. So in that sense, you are correct. I perhaps should have qualified the example by saying what I was thinking which was: the reason he got traded to the Bucks. Not his Mavs experience.

But Monta was far from the point of the post.

44cuse

This ended up spinning in to some unexpected stuff due to the National Anthem thing and the polarizing feelings around Dion.

My point boils down to this - it was decided, even while they still had Wiggins, that Dion was a problem. There are already columns about trade partners. Yes, Dion has some character flaws and limitations in his game, but does anyone honestly believe that if he was playing exactly the way he's "supposed" to be playing for them and their record is what it is right now that he'd be getting a pass? I don't think he would. His role is to be the punching bag and symbol of the Cavs' flaws, independent of what he's actually doing. To me, that's a horrible situation.

It's hilarious to me that people are talking like all he needs to do is be a 3 and D guy. That's not his game at all. This is akin to us last season telling Baye "Hey big fella, we're going to post you up a bunch tonight because we're expecting 18 points from you."

This ended up spinning in to some unexpected stuff due to the National Anthem thing and the polarizing feelings around Dion.

My point boils down to this - it was decided, even while they still had Wiggins, that Dion was a problem. There are already columns about trade partners. Yes, Dion has some character flaws and limitations in his game, but does anyone honestly believe that if he was playing exactly the way he's "supposed" to be playing for them and their record is what it is right now that he'd be getting a pass? I don't think he would. His role is to be the punching bag and symbol of the Cavs' flaws, independent of what he's actually doing. To me, that's a horrible situation.

It's hilarious to me that people are talking like all he needs to do is be a 3 and D guy. That's not his game at all. This is akin to us last season telling Baye "Hey big fella, we're going to post you up a bunch tonight because we're expecting 18 points from you."

The media's Bn ripping Irving as much as Dion... maybe more so.

Finally a quote that really gets it. Dion is NOT a 3 & D guy. Yes he can hit the 3, but he's not a catch and shoot wing and I really don't think he wants to be. Yes he can play defense, but he is never going to be a lock down defense first player. I do believe he can find a role on this team because he is really a jack of all trades can do everything. The problem is not Dion and LBJ or Dion and Love. Its Dion and Kyrie. If the Cavs had a true pass first PG Dion would be great as the 2G. Kyrie is the opposite of pass first. Can Kyrie be the PG for ther Cavs the way he was for the US National team? That is the question. If Dion ends up leaving, fine. But the Cavs won't be better for it. I'm not saying Dion is better than Kyrie (though he is a better shooter). I just don't think Kyrie is capable of being the lead PG on a championship team where he is not the #1 option.

The media's Bn ripping Irving as much as Dion... maybe more so.
Fair enough. I haven't seen anyone saying they need to get rid of him though.

It will be interesting if the Cavs do trade Waiters. If they still struggle, who takes the heat? My guess is Blatt.

He's long been going out of his way to rip on Syracuse athletes in the pros, unless they play well for one of his NY teams.
Never ripped on hart, etan, hak or Melo as a nugget.

Or freeney, Harrison, mungro, brown or most others.

But when they're a jackarse...I call them a jackarse, when they're an easy target...I take aim.

You can thank me later for taking care of business in house and thus rendering any troll from another teams', flaming post...useless and ignored.