Closing the 2013 Class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Closing the 2013 Class

Kimble now a 3 star, ranked #24 QB (ZA was and is ranked #56 QB).

Most of us were expecting Z.Allen to be a 4 year starter. Now that Kimble is ranked higher, should we have the same expectations for him? I think a red shirt season for Kimble this year and an open competition next year is the best way to go.

I like the Kimball commit because we beat a conference rival for him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Most of us were expecting Z.Allen to be a 4 year starter. Now that Kimble is ranked higher, should we have the same expectations for him? I think a red shirt season for Kimble this year and an open competition next year is the best way to go.

Those that thought that probably were taking into consideration ZA would've been here for spring practice since he was enrolling early, and even then, long shot.

Kimble now a 3 star, ranked #24 QB (ZA was and is ranked #56 QB)
Burton now a 3 star as well.

I hope that this is not the final ranking out for s**** ... they seem to be the only ones not pushing Miller to 3 star ... I know rivals did as well ...

I think a lot of the excitement around ZA was based on his early enrollment and ability to get in the S&C program and get a Spring practice under his belt. Loeb was probably going to start anyway, but Allen had the opportunity to be the back up and then step right in and be a 3 year starter (if he didn't redshirt). Of course that didn't take into account where Hunt or Wilson fit into the equation.

Those that thought that probably were taking into consideration ZA would've been here for spring practice since he was enrolling early, and even then, long shot.
Never know what could happen after a redshirt year, for either ZA, had he come here, or Kimble. Marvin Graves beat out a senior as a redshirt freshman.

Are we really comparing Kimble, who plays in a small school league in Illinois to Allen, who played at the highest level of Texas football? I mean, I think we did the best we could but I still think Allen is miles ahead of Kimble right now. All of you are just convincing yourself that Kimble is a better prospect so you feel better.

P.S. That #24 QB ranking by ESPN? That's for Dual Threat QB's, Allen was listed as a Pocket Passer.

Are we really comparing Kimble, who plays in a small school league in Illinois to Allen, who played at the highest level of Texas football? I mean, I think we did the best we could but I still think Allen is miles ahead of Kimble right now. All of you are just convincing yourself that Kimble is a better prospect so you feel better.

P.S. That #24 QB ranking by ESPN? That's for Dual Threat QB's, Allen was listed as a Pocket Passer.

Poor Austin Wilson. What does this kid have to do for some respect around here. He's now my new favorite QB and I hope a 2 or 3 year starter.

I hope that this is not the final ranking out for s**** ... they seem to be the only ones not pushing Miller to 3 star ... I know did as well ...
Until he flipped to TCU, Allen was ranked 79th with a 2-star rating from the experts at Skout. Obviously ZA is a much, much better prospect than that.

What burns my a$$ is he didn't receive a bump until after he flipped which is a slap in the face to our program.

Until he flipped to TCU, Allen was ranked 79th with a 2-star rating from the experts at Skout. Obviously ZA is a much, much better prospect than that.

What burns my a$$ is he didn't receive a bump until after he flipped which is a slap in the face to our program.

he would have received that bump if he stayed. they changed a lot of rankings after the season.

Timing. The 2 star was before the elite 11 and the season.

Sorry bnoro...you're wrong on this one.

I really liked ZA and still wish he came here this semester but... I think we struck gold with Kimble. I'm not comparing IL high school football to TX high school football but Kimble actually competed in the large school division. I pulled this from the article OE posted:

“It’s awesome,” said Kimble, The Telegraph’s Large-School Player of the Year. “I loved it when I visited Syracuse because they have a great group of coaches and special group of guys. It was such a comfort level for me.”

I think this kid ends up having a huge impact on the program. He becomes, at least, a 2 or 3 year starter.

BTW, any scouting service that lists ZA as a pocket passer loses a lot of credibility with me.

Sorry bnoro...you're wrong on this one.

I really liked ZA and still wish he came here this semester but... I think we struck gold with Kimble. I'm not comparing IL high school football to TX high school football but Kimble actually competed in the large school division. I pulled this from the article OE posted:

“It’s awesome,” said Kimble, The Telegraph’s Large-School Player of the Year. “I loved it when I visited Syracuse because they have a great group of coaches and special group of guys. It was such a comfort level for me.”

I think this kid ends up having a huge impact on the program. He becomes, at least, a 2 or 3 year starter.

BTW, any scouting service that lists ZA as a pocket passer loses a lot of credibility with me.
Never said Kimble was bad. I'm saying Allen AT THIS TIME is a better player coming out of high school because he has played better competition and has more experience because he played football year round. I hope he can make an impact but Allen definitely WOULD have made an impact.

Timing. The 2 star was before the elite 11 and the season.
The Elite 11 occurred over the summer and previous to his senior season. It takes 6 months to make adjustments in a player's standing?

Complete and utter bs...if he committed to a program that had a significantly larger paying base he would have been upgraded immediately.

Never said Kimble was bad. I'm saying Allen AT THIS TIME is a better player coming out of high school because he has played better competition and has more experience because he played football year round. I hope he can make an impact but Allen definitely WOULD have made an impact.

I am confused by what your saying? Allen was not going to start as a true frosh (needs to put on muscle to hold up for the season).

With all due respect to everyone here, we have no idea which QB will be better than the other.

At this point, I agree with bnoro in regards to ZA's ability RIGHT NOW compared to Kimble & Wilson, simply based on playing in the heart of Texas at the highest HS level. Some of those TX HS teams are better than some lower level D1A teams. Damn football factory down there.

That being said, I hope that BOTH Kimble & Wilson end up being better long-term prospects than ZA because it is likely that none of the 3 will start next year (Kimble & Wilson @ Cuse or ZA @ TCU). It sucks losing ZA right now, but I'm hoping that Kimble & Wilson end up being both being better choices.

We should wait to compare them until after a year or 2 of them starting.

The most important thing is that we landed a 2nd QB in this class, which was incredibly essential based on our depth charts and lack of development by maybe some of other QB's already on the roster.

Allen could also end up being injury prone. Not good that he's already had a shoulder/collarbone injury or whatever the 'upper body' injury was.

I think you have to look at the overall athlete, how many sports they play as well. I would bet that Allen spent a lot more time honing his craft that a kid from Illinois and PA, could be worng here but the kids that start for the big programs in TX usually are one sport athletes. Im just saying, I see no reason why Kimble isn't the athlete that Allen is and seems to have a string arm. Both kids will reshirt and see what happens. Allen is really skinny too.

Time will tell, whose better right now? Who cares? Lets revisit in two years, probably should know then

With all due respect to everyone here, we have no idea which QB will be better than the other.

At this point, I agree with bnoro in regards to ZA's ability RIGHT NOW compared to Kimble & Wilson, simply based on playing in the heart of Texas at the highest HS level. Some of those TX HS teams are better than some lower level D1A teams. Damn football factory down there.

That being said, I hope that BOTH Kimble & Wilson end up being better long-term prospects than ZA because it is likely that none of the 3 will start next year (Kimble & Wilson @ Cuse or ZA @ TCU). It sucks losing ZA right now, but I'm hoping that Kimble & Wilson end up being both being better choices.

We should wait to compare them until after a year or 2 of them starting.

The most important thing is that we landed a 2nd QB in this class, which was incredibly essential based on our depth charts and lack of development by maybe some of other QB's already on the roster.
Spot on. Cam Newton was a three star prospect coming out of highschool that some were surprised won the QB competition at Auburn. Johnny Manziel was a three star smallish guy standing 6-1 and under 200 lbs coming out of highschool. He only won the heisman as a redshirt freshman and beat the eventual NC on the way. We have no idea which kid will be better at this point.

The Elite 11 occurred over the summer and previous to his senior season. It takes 6 months to make adjustments in a player's standing?

Complete and utter bs...if he committed to a program that had a significantly larger paying base he would have been upgraded immediately.

It's not BS. Stars are based upon rankings which are done bottoms up. State ranking, then reginal ranking then national rankings then the stars are assigned. For the most part, those things are only updated a few times a year. There are times they will adjust stars based upon a camp like a Nike camp or when a player hadn't been evaluated and was a 2 star.

One site that bumped him from 2 to 3 stars, doesn't even have a real pay side for TCU. It's a desert. The system isnt perfect but it's not a scam either. What do you say when an SU player gets bumpled? Many have over the years.

I think you have to look at the overall athlete, how many sports they play as well. I would bet that Allen spent a lot more time honing his craft that a kid from Illinois and PA, could be worng here but the kids that start for the big programs in TX usually are one sport athletes. Im just saying, I see no reason why Kimble isn't the athlete that Allen is and seems to have a string arm. Both kids will reshirt and see what happens. Allen is really skinny too.

Time will tell, whose better right now? Who cares? Lets revisit in two years, probably should know then

I would much rather choose athletes and develop them as football players as opposed to taking kids who have only been playing football for their entire lives. I've said this before. Marrone told me that directly 5 years ago about NYS kids. He said they are just as good athletes as southern kids but the southern kids' football skills are just more developed. But after 2 years in college, those NYS kids can reach the same level or higher as the southern kids because they don't have any more room to develop.

Considering he was a relatively unknown in the rankings, I believe it was quite an inspiration to see him get some recognition. This is a new rating Bnoro, and it was never intended as a comparrison issue. As for being a PP, I believe ZA's position would be higher as a QB/DT than as a PP passer. He was the 3rd leading rusher in his conference last year, considering that this is Texas, that is pretty darn good. From the elite 11, the experts stated he had alot of work to do on his footwork to be a PP, just saying.

No, time will tell, and we have AW as well for a nice competition upcoming. I have to say, this year is a huge question mark as to who rises and takes the starting QB job.

Considering he was a relatively unknown in the rankings, I believe it was quite an inspiration to see him get some recognition. This is a new rating Bnoro, and it was never intended as a comparrison issue. As for being a PP, I believe ZA's position would be higher as a QB/DT than as a PP passer. He was the 3rd leading rusher in his conference last year, considering that this is Texas, that is pretty darn good. From the elite 11, the experts stated he had alot of work to do on his footwork to be a PP, just saying.

No, time will tell, and we have AW as well for a nice competition upcoming. I have to say, this year is a huge question mark as to who rises and takes the starting QB job.
I agree with you, that was the point I was trying to make. Him being listed as a PP hurt his ranking.

I agree with you, that was the point I was trying to make. Him being listed as a PP hurt his ranking.
Were on the same page, remarkable to say the least! It is getting quite interesting of late, lots of speculation. Any news of any transfers opening some slots?

I've always thought classifying a QB as either DT or PP hurts the ratings of the kids that have both skill sets. Zach Allen is a great example. Is he the passer that Hackenburg is? Nope. The running threat Woulard is? Nope. But a kid that can do both well is gold at the college level. Hopefully Kimble is one of those guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom