Coach K on Dan Patrick | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K on Dan Patrick

K def took things from his Olympic experience with JB

But what Duke is doing with its Boeheim-influenced Zone is very much different than what SU does it.

Tom Izzo said it perfectly in his comments before the game. He explained to the interviewer that the Zone was fundamental to SU’s basketball culture. He said they recruit specifically for the Zone. They are constantly modifying it and improving it. The players continually understand how to play it better and buy into it as a weapon.

That’s fundamentally different from the occasional use of the defense.

I have gotten the sense from the last three games, based on watching the games and listening to the player interviews, that these guys understand just how significant a weapon this defense is when opponents unused to playing against it start having to deal with it in a pressure situation.

The numbers in the past three games speak for themselves.

Facts, and people can’t wait til he retires. Coaches are only as good as the players they get. Put Coach K with our team this year and I bet he leaves again with a back injury.

Let's not go off the deep end.

Boeheim is a Top 10 coach of all-time (I would put him somewhere in the 7-10 range). And Coach K is probably the greatest college basketball coach of all-time.

Caught JT3 on the radio. He said we would win 3 games pre tourney. Not counting the play in. When pressed as to why he said "cause I've seen it before." Said no coach wants to see Syracuse in their bracket and gushed with praise for JB and the zone.

That cannot be easy for JT3 to articulate and his old man probly had to go lay down. Gives you some perspective on how JB is perceived amongst peers.

JB is not even playing a 2-3 zone anymore. It looks like a circle or amoeba overhead.

Somebody called it a 4-1 a few weeks ago.

It looks like a 2-3 from up top until the ball gets close to the top of the key.

Love the bit in here about Duke not being able to defend man to man, so they switched to zone. Uneducated pundits always like to say the zone makes you bad defensively and doesn’t prepare you for the league. Maybe these kids aren’t good defensively regardless.

Duke solved its defensive problems by taking a page from Syracuse's playbook

[Bomani]ZONE IS FOR COWARDZ[/Jones]

I always thought that the only coaches definitely better than JB were Izzo, K, and Pitino. Well Pitino is out of the game and Izzo is 1-5 vs Boeheim.

Huh.

I always thought that the only coaches definitely better than JB were Izzo, K, and Pitino. Well Pitino is out of the game and Izzo is 1-5 vs Boeheim.

Huh.

And this year Izzo's team was loaded with players that many would say were far better than SU's. So it's not like the two coaches were playing with equal poker hands.

I like Izzo a lot. But I watched two in-depth interviews with him after the game.

It sounded to me that he didn't understand what happened in the game. His take was that the loss was all about a bad shooting night. "We got good shots." We usually make those shots."

Now I might buy into that if I hadn't just watched the ASU and TCU games. A single team can have a bad shooting night. But when three teams in a row have a bad shooting nights, you start to suspect something else is afoot.

Boeheim is a Top 10 coach of all-time (I would put him somewhere in the 7-10 range). And Coach K is probably the greatest college basketball coach of all-time.

I honestly can't think of a credable argument for K being a better coach than Boeheim.

After coaching together, K decided to copy everything Bkeheim does. That's pretty much proof of who the better coach is.

K might be the most successful coach of all time, but that's a much different argument from who the best coach is because these teams dont compete on a level playong field.

Basically Boeheim is the best basketball coach, and K is the best a working for a University where people buy him the best players.

I like Izzo a lot.

Izzo is a scumbag masquerading as anything but. He’s enabled a culture tolerant of sexual assault and battery for years for the sake of his program, and acts the martyr while he does so.

“I took too many bullets this year.”

I hope he’s able to pull himself down off the cross before next season.

Coach K is a good coach but he also gets all the top players every year. So How good is he with players rated borderline top 100??

Izzo is a scumbag masquerading as anything but. He’s enabled a culture tolerant of s e xual assault and battery for years for the sake of his program, and acts the martyr while he does so.

“I took too many bullets this year.”

I hope he’s able to pull himself down off the cross before next season.

^^Michigan Guy over here^^

I honestly can't think of a credable argument for K being a better coach than Boeheim.

After coaching together, K decided to copy everything Bkeheim does. That's pretty much proof of who the better coach is.

K might be the most successful coach of all time, but that's a much different argument from who the best coach is because these teams dont compete on a level playong field.

Basically Boeheim is the best basketball coach, and K is the best a working for a University where people buy him the best players.

I gotta say I think the pro-Boeheim pendulum has swung a wee bit far in the last ten days. He's a great coach. I agree that he's a top-10 guy all time. I was arguing that two weeks ago when people wanted to fire him. But he's not the greatest coach of all time. Syracuse is on a great run in the tournament right now, but so is Loyola Chicago.

Just on K - K and Boeheim took over pretty similar programs - Duke had had a great three-year run immediately before K started but before that hadn't gone better than 14-12 in 7 seasons. Since then K's won 5 championships, and JB's won 1. And basically every other stat you can imagine is going to favor him too. Yes, he's getting better players, but there's not something automatic about that with Duke - it's because he's built the program as he has.

To my, reluctant, eyes, it's almost impossible to argue against Calhoun as the top of the list. What he did with that program is remarkable. Izzo's taking a lot of shots right now, many highly deserved, but his record in the aggregate looks better than JB's too and it's hard to say he's getting significantly better players than SU. Pitino too - if Louisville was getting better players, that's because of Pitino not something automatic to that school.

Huh.

Bomani Jones is a freaking moron. For a lot of reasons, but mainly because he has bad takes then loves to back them up with "yeah, but you're an idiot so just go away".

If you watch the 2010 Big East quarterfinal closely when AO goes down you can see Coach K in the second row with a BB gun.
Actually I spotted a 13 year old Grayson Allen posing as a ball boy. Tripped him under the hoop among all the traffic

Bomani Jones is a freaking moron. For a lot of reasons, but mainly because he has bad takes then loves to back them up with "yeah, but you're an idiot so just go away".

He tries to be Dan Lebatard on his show (not sure he has a radio show anymore tbh) but he can’t do it because DLBT is funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom