Coach K | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K

I caught the Coach K XM radio show on my way home from work today interested to see what he would say. There was zero mention of this which had me curious, but then it became clear the show was taped this morning and the news probably hadn’t broken when they taped it, at least not the part I heard anyway.

Bill, that sounds awful. Beyond awful. Thank you for your story. I am always amazed at the things people have gone through and the resiliency of the human spirit. As a former therapist, I heard many tragic, gruesome tales. Terrible losses. I always took hope that if/when something happened to me, I would survive it one way or the other because I would watch people working it out. It’s possible, but one is forever changed.

It’s really scary to be alive sometimes!

bball: You're welcome. My life unfortunately has had some frightful times, some under my control but most not. But, I am here and this board gives me an outlet to speak my mind in ways I don't in other places.

Life IS scary. You can walk down your driveway and...

People plan things so far ahead and say "oh, this morning I opened that present I got. I know exactly when I'll wear it - on our vacation this summer when they don't know if their going to be here for dinner. People need to realize they shouldn't save things for wearing six months from now. Put it on tonight...

One thing I have also learned is that no one guarantees us tomorrow. So, I try to enjoy life, every moment, every one, bad or good - I'm here and so is my dog and the rain or blue sky and it's beautiful.

Have a wonderful evening, beadlle :)

Knowing him personally my opinion is that he's emotional but one tough SOB.

Agreed, Briancuse.

I disagree with Alsacs.

Not the same thing but I have been through being close to dying after running into a dock on a slalom water ski, brilliant.

Coma for a brief time. Almost bled out - so many pints of blood they told me.

The nightmares were constant for months but then I learned to walk again and I was able to talk with my minister from my church and after six more months it was gone. You have to be stronger than the problem to get back up on that ski. There was one other thing I did that was as psychologically brutal on me. But this is about Jim Boeheim and I am using myself as an example of what a human is capable of.

JB is not going to retire - he might as well give up everything he has.

The more time passes the more things associated with the accident will go away. It is now too fresh so he has to see what happened as true but not his fault and deal with the psychological pain and thoughts in his mind. It is very difficult.

IMHO if he chooses to coach it would be Cathartic, yes... I think getting his mind on the game, being with friends, coaches, the team, coach K, the entire audience of fans, Juli behind him in the crowd, things he's familiar with, where everyone loves him or not, a place he knows with most everyone supporting him. If he's there he'll coach it's in his DNA.

>For any of us; a divorce, a death, a relationship that goes bad, the more time passes, the more you distance yourself from the thoughts of the problem the more it disappears until you do not consciously think of the problem. Unless, you bring the problem that happened five years ago into the present, then it is in the moment, now.<

However he is the only one who knows himself and how he may handle things and at the last minute may give this one to, G Mac, Griffin and Autry and the team. Anything is possible at this point - we'll have to see his reaction(s).

It's not enough just to like this post. Thank you for sharing from the depths of your being. I offer a deep bow.

It's not enough just to like this post. Thank you for sharing from the depths of your being. I offer a deep bow.
The same to you, sir and you are welcome. I must impress upon people that it was not an easy recovery but it got better and better as time moved forward and so did I. JB hasn't begun yet but he will. His support system is very large indeed.

Last edited:
I would think that he will seek and get input from Julie and his family.

Life IS scary. You can walk down your driveway and...

People plan things so far ahead and say "oh, this morning I opened that present I got. I know exactly when I'll wear it - on our vacation this summer when they don't know if their going to be here for dinner. People need to realize they shouldn't save things for wearing six months from now. Put it on tonight...

One thing I have also learned is that no one guarantees us tomorrow. So, I try to enjoy life, every moment, every one, bad or good - I'm here and so is my dog and the rain or blue sky and it's beautiful.

Have a wonderful evening, beadlle :)
Words to live by. Thanks Bill.

I would think that he will seek and get input from Julie and his family.
I have an acquaintance who had a similar experience and they met with the family of the deceased. That IMHO moved the timeline of the healing process forward the most. Not sure if that is happening or should, but helped my friend.

In order to cancel/postpone the game, it would take something like a national tragedy like 9/11 where all sporting events in the country are rescheduled, or something specifically horrible on the SU campus like a mass shooting event. This just doesn't rise to that level. The cancelling of Gameday combined with what I hope will be a nice moment of silence is the appropriate response.

K's usually a gracious loser and often is the one initiating conversations in the handshake line.

Our guy, on the other hand...

>autry fills in for jb
>su loses
>fans question Autry’s ability to be a head coaching option in the future.
>Autry leaves for another p5
>Autry uses his extensive coaching knowledge gained from years alongside a HOF within a large top 10 program.
>Autry succeeds and becomes another jedi force ghost for us.

Circle

Huh? Our guy does what you’re supposed to do.

K is the one known for the blow by. Not our guy.
I guess 40 years of watching JB wasn't enough for me to get a clear vision of his habits. Hopefully, I'll get to watch him for a few more and get it right.

On the one hand, Coach K was probably pretty freaked out about Zion and was distracted, maybe that contributed to the blow by. On the other hand, he did learn at the heels of Bob Knight, the worst sportsman and biggest douche in college basketball coaching history (outside of slime like Dave Bliss). Generally I think K is a good sport, so I guess it can be forgiven. Now let's go kick his and his team's a** tomorrow

win lose or draw, i'm certain he won't give jimmy a blow by tomorrow. it will be an extended moment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom