Coach K | Syracusefan.com

Coach K

Zippy1808

2nd String
As we know, he and Boeheim are closer than close.
One must wonder if they are in touch about possibly postponing or canceling Saturday's game.
A decision has to be made tonight, as Duke will travel tomorrow.
I'm sure all sorts of contracts come into play, but something tells me they are the two men ultimately in control, and if one wants to broach the idea, it will happen.

Not suggesting by any means this is going to happen, but I will be interested to hear what Coach K says when asked about this, which he will be.

I for one just can't see how Boeheim coaches Saturday. The sight of him out there - having his head in the game and screaming at the players and refs and doing what he does best, less than 72 hours after this, is unfathomable.

No chance it gets cancelled. And for those that say JB shouldn't coach in the game, I also disagree. I get the optics of ESPN Gameday and that pulling out not a bad decision but this is different..this is a man doing his job. He was not at fault for the death as unfortunate as it was. If he is mentally up for coaching Saturday he should do it. If he is not, he should take the night off and no one would blame him as it is a tragic situation.

Channel 9 said that they talked to Duke officials and they will be here Saturday.

There’s a difference between patently insensitive and it doesn’t matter what we do - college game day- and a scheduled event that has meaning and numerous ripple effects if disrupted “life goes on”

Unless the funeral is at the same time he must coach. He will coach. It’s his job. People are dependent on him.

The game is going to be played.
If I had to guess I don’t see JB coaching this weekend.
Time heals wounds.

I think coaching would almost be cathartic in a way. He can focus on something else. Personally I’d be surprised if he doesn’t coach. Would understand completely if he didn’t, but would be surprised.

There are also young men who is leading, by deed and by word. How often do coaches ask their charges to tough it out. Now the events are different by a huge magnitude, but what example do you set for your team.
It might also be a place of solace for coach. A place to quiet his mind for a couple of hours, with just basketball.

The game is going to be played.
If I had to guess I don’t see JB coaching this weekend.
Time heals wounds.
Time doesn't heal this. I know people that have gone through what jb is going through right now. It is always there.

Time doesn't heal this. I know people that have gone through what jb is going through right now. It is always there.
If this is the case then my guess he is done.
It’s hard to yell at players or refs if he can’t heal the wounds of this tragedy.

I hope whatever happens is JB’s call and not what is best for PR.

If this is the case then my guess he is done.
It’s hard to yell at players or refs if he can’t heal the wounds of this tragedy.

I hope whatever happens is JB’s call and not what is best for PR.
I have been told that you can be a okay and suddenly it hits you. I wouldn't wish it on anyone

I don't think he will ever get over this but the more time that passes the easier it will be to get through.

Knowing him personally my opinion is that he's emotional but one tough SOB.

Agreed, Briancuse.

I disagree with Alsacs.

Not the same thing but I have been through being close to dying after running into a dock on a slalom water ski, brilliant.

Coma for a brief time. Almost bled out - so many pints of blood they told me.

The nightmares were constant for months but then I learned to walk again and I was able to talk with my minister from my church and after six more months it was gone. You have to be stronger than the problem to get back up on that ski. There was one other thing I did that was as psychologically brutal on me. But this is about Jim Boeheim and I am using myself as an example of what a human is capable of.

JB is not going to retire - he might as well give up everything he has.

The more time passes the more things associated with the accident will go away. It is now too fresh so he has to see what happened as true but not his fault and deal with the psychological pain and thoughts in his mind. It is very difficult.

IMHO if he chooses to coach it would be Cathartic, yes... I think getting his mind on the game, being with friends, coaches, the team, coach K, the entire audience of fans, Juli behind him in the crowd, things he's familiar with, where everyone loves him or not, a place he knows with most everyone supporting him. If he's there he'll coach it's in his DNA.

>For any of us; a divorce, a death, a relationship that goes bad, the more time passes, the more you distance yourself from the thoughts of the problem the more it disappears until you do not consciously think of the problem. Unless, you bring the problem that happened five years ago into the present, then it is in the moment, now.<

However he is the only one who knows himself and how he may handle things and at the last minute may give this one to, G Mac, Griffin and Autry and the team. Anything is possible at this point - we'll have to see his reaction(s).

Last edited:
Knowing him personally my opinion is that he's emotional but one tough SOB.

Agreed, Briancuse.

I disagree with Alsacs.

Not the same thing but I have been through being close to dying after running into a dock on a slalom water ski, brilliant.

Coma for a brief time. Almost bled out - so many pints of blood they told me.

The nightmares were constant for months but then I learned to walk again and I was able to talk with my minister from my church and after six more months it was gone. You have to be stronger than the problem to get back up on that ski. There was one other thing I did that was as psychologically brutal on me. But this is about Jim Boeheim and I am using myself as an example of what a human is capable of.

JB is not going to retire - he might as well give up everything he has.

The more time passes the more things associated with the accident will go away. It is now too fresh so he has to see what happened as true but not his fault and deal with the psychological pain and thoughts in his mind. It is very difficult.

IMHO if he chooses to coach it would be Cathartic, yes... I think getting his mind on the game, being with friends, coaches, the team, coach K, the entire audience of fans, Juli behind him in the crowd, things he's familiar with, where everyone loves him or not, a place he knows with most everyone supporting him. If he's there he'll coach it's in his DNA.

>For any of us; a divorce, a death, a relationship that goes bad, the more time passes, the more you distance yourself from the thoughts of the problem the more it disappears until you do not consciously think of the problem. Unless, you bring the problem that happened five years ago into the present, then it is in the moment, now.<

However he is the only one who knows himself and how he may handle things and at the last minute may give this one to, G Mac, Griffin and Autry and the team. Anything is possible at this point - we'll have to see his reaction(s).
Bill, that sounds awful. Beyond awful. Thank you for your story. I am always amazed at the things people have gone through and the resiliency of the human spirit. As a former therapist, I heard many tragic, gruesome tales. Terrible losses. I always took hope that if/when something happened to me, I would survive it one way or the other because I would watch people working it out. It’s possible, but one is forever changed.

It’s really scary to be alive sometimes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom