Votes: 73 54.5%
  • His terms

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Gets a pass this season (Covid)

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see what everyone thinks. Hes a legend and has done so much for Syracuse and the CNY area. Is it time to hang em up or does he get to go out on his own terms? Does he get a pass this season due to covid? Do we take a chance and make a change and possibly lose Benny's commitment? This isn't happening but still curious where everyone's level of frustration is at and what they think is best for Syracuse basketball going forward.

He has said so many stupid things in the media the last couple years that are corrosive to building a functioning team. He doesn't deserve to remain coach any longer. Let's see what someone else would do with this roster.

I don't think I ever said it was like that. Arinze probably cost us the national championship and Melo just might have to. But we are talking this years team and there is no doubt in my mind that Sid would have made this team much better. it takes a glaring weakness, a fatal flaw, and makes it a lot better.

He's been hurt every year he's been here. It's insane to think he would be so much of a difference maker that you never play any of your other three centers.

I would like that too but I highly doubt Boeheim would go along with an announced “swan song” season.

Agree 144%. He doesn't want a Derek Jeter-esque "retirement tour" for his last season.

He'll do one of 3 things:
  • expire on the court.
  • retire at the end of a season or over the summer afterwards
  • retire shortly before a new season, forcing ADJW's hand to name Red as "interim Head Coach", so that he gets the full season to show what he can do to audition for the job (a la Bo Ryan to Greg Gard @ Wisky)
This is kinda like a flowchart, so it's a "If not X, then Y" flow to it.

He's healthy, so the first one is highly unlikely.
I totally expect it to be the 3rd one.
YMMV.

Guys he’s 76. It’s important to acknowledge the truth in “the grass isn’t always greener” but we need to work on a future for our program before we become a poor man’s UCLA or just deteriorate.

I get that people are nostalgic and cling to JB’s golden years, and what him and Julie have done for the program and region.

But if you care about Syracuse basketball you admit that JB should have been gone following the end of the latest sanctions or at the very least the day Buddy’s graduated.

giphy.gif

I would like that too but I highly doubt Boeheim would go along with an announced “swan song” season.
He is modest. It might even be painful to him. Not the same situation at all, but I told my clients a year ahead of time that I was retiring. I thought this would help them peel away to another therapist, or terminate therapy productively but they all hung on to the end. Saying those last good-byes nearly killed me.

I can see Coach dreading thinking of something as “my last year.”

Agree 144%. He doesn't want a Derek Jeter-esque "retirement tour" for his last season.

He'll do one of 3 things:
  • expire on the court.
  • retire at the end of a season or over the summer afterwards
  • retire shortly before a new season, forcing ADJW's hand to name Red as "interim Head Coach", so that he gets the full season to show what he can do to audition for the job (a la Bo Ryan to Greg Gard @ Wisky)
This is kinda like a flowchart, so it's a "If not X, then Y" flow to it.

He's healthy, so the first one is highly unlikely.
I totally expect it to be the 3rd one.
YMMV.
I have no doubt he will attempt #3. I’m sure he thinks he should choose who inherits HIS program. And he will also try to do right by Red or Gerry.

I have no doubt he will attempt #3. I’m sure he thinks he should choose who inherits HIS program. And he will also try to do right by Red or Gerry.

You misspelled Griff.

Why does everybody think GMac is somehow higher up in the pecking order than Griff?
He was already coaching while Gerry was still playing.

Gerry is the 3rd least experienced assistant coach (out of 3) and also the 3rd ‘best’ recruiter of the AC’s (also out of 3).

Guys he’s 76. It’s important to acknowledge the truth in “the grass isn’t always greener” but we need to work on a future for our program before we become a poor man’s UCLA or just deteriorate.

I get that people are nostalgic and cling to JB’s golden years, and what him and Julie have done for the program and region.

But if you care about Syracuse basketball you admit that JB should have been gone following the end of the latest sanctions or at the very least the day Buddy’s graduated.

He should of retired after 2018 as planned.

You misspelled Griff.

Why does everybody think GMac is somehow higher up in the pecking order than Griff?
He was already coaching while Gerry was still playing.

Gerry is the 3rd least experienced assistant coach (out of 3) and also the 3rd ‘best’ recruiter of the AC’s (also out of 3).

Because of the way JB gushes over Gerry as compared to his other assistants to booster groups and in the press. Who has been charged with recruiting our top targets these past few years? GMac.

I think Should go with his original assessment of how long he was gonna stay when is kids graduate I think he should move on. I mean come on at that point he's gonna be 78. That's too old

For those of you waiting for Buddy to leave so coach will retire .. bad news .. Boeheim just adopted a kid from Africa who will be our starting center the next 4 years .. he fits the classic SU forward build

Attachments

• BAA6222F-DF97-4436-9A87-F26A0044096E.jpeg
    BAA6222F-DF97-4436-9A87-F26A0044096E.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 85
The stepping down just before the season to give Red the keys seems to be the most likely. The question is what kind of car will Red be given - right now its a Pinto.

The stepping down just before the season to give Red the keys seems to be the most likely. The question is what kind of car will Red be given - right now its a Pinto.
Kind of like what Bo Ryan did with Greg Gard?

Just to be clear; this would be a dick move.
This would put Boeheim on par with Jim Calhoun.
It's Wildhack's decision, not Boeheim's.

Sure -- but let's also be honest that you likely aren't going to replace an all time great HOFer with a like-for-like successor. That doesn't mean that you can't put a great coach in place to replace JB [see: Pitino / Mack].

IMO, that should be our model.

People are too afraid of change. Sure, change brings risk -- but it also brings OPPORTUNITY. That's why this change needs to be handled with appropriate due diligence, and not delimited with artificial constraints, such as artificially restricting the list of candidates to those with ties to our program.

Sure -- but let's also be honest that you likely aren't going to replace an all time great HOFer with a like-for-like successor. That doesn't mean that you can't put a great coach in place to replace JB [see: Pitino / Mack].

People are too afraid of change. Sure, change brings risk -- but it also brings OPPORTUNITY. That's why this change needs to be handled with appropriate due diligence, and not delimited with artificial constraints, such as artificially restricting the list of candidates to those with ties to our program.
I am confident in Wildhack handling it with due diligence.

My concern is the due diligence may be years behind at this point. I have no info to back that up, just a glass half empty concern though I have faith in ADJW.

The next guy could flop, no one knows. But the program will be wrecked beyond short term repair if we allow Jb to coach for multiple more years.

My concern is the due diligence may be years behind at this point. I have no info to back that up, just a glass half empty concern though I have faith in ADJW.

The next guy could flop, no one knows. But the program will be wrecked beyond short term repair if we allow Jb to coach for multiple more years.

Not tracking with your first sentence. Behind by years? When the time comes, the AD needs to compile a list of the best candidates available at the time, and pursue them if there is mutual interest.

We need to identify and hire the most qualified, best candidate we can. Who is on that list will vary by the timeframe that the search is initiated.

But that shouldn't stop us from trying when the time comes.

The good news is that in college hoops, turnarounds can happen quickly. What this program needs more than anything is an influx of fresh ideas and new energy.

Just to be clear; this would be a dick move.
This would put Boeheim on par with Jim Calhoun.
It's Wildhack's decision, not Boeheim's.
Don't disagree with any of that, but your final line has not been proven to be true...yet.

Louisville has actually done well twice. Crum to Pitino and then Pitino to Mack. Agree strongly with your post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom