CoachDMustStay.com... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

CoachDMustStay.com...

I think anytime you lose games on the last play of the game, your decisions weigh more and are looked at more critically. It’s no surprise that the rash of “he’s bad at in-game decisions” came after the last two games.
I don't know how anyone can still think he makes good decisions...watch a Bills game. The difference in decision making is glaring. Time management, 4th downs, 2pts, decisions to run or pass, etc. Sean McDermott 100% has an analytics staffer in his ear giving info constantly. That is what Dino needs, because he clearly cannot manage it on his own.

If we don't get at least 5-6 wins, Dino should go. Will he? I don't think so due to $$$.
The Bills Bossman has plenty of $$$ to throw around on sports stuff.

I totally disagree, if you keep losing games you could win you are no way on the right track. This is a recurring pattern under DB.
DB is sixty and after six years we are still not even playing 500 ball, my opinion is we should cut him ASAP and get a younger head coach with upside. I see no potential other than the rare flash in the pan with DB. Keep doing the same things that are not working is the definition of insanity.
It is definition of insanity, but I am amazed at number of insane people out there. Just stay the course. Waiting for new, better results. Which never comes.

I would hire an NFL type. Cause my belief is recruiting has changed. You sell one thing in 2021! NFL..playing on Sunday.This ain't 1980. This is my marketing pitch, my 30 second sales pitch if I am coach with NFL background taking over program..."I coached in NFL, scouted in NFL, know NFL talent, know GM's and scouts, know what they want in incoming players, know what it takes to get players in NFL, will run NFL system with NFL type workouts".

IMO...this is going to be the new recruiting...academics, city, stadium, blah, blah, blah..in one ear, out the other.

I do believe Dino is back despite what I believe will be a depressing record. It is about the buyout. Too much money.

I believe I am right about future of college recruiting...sell NFL...many college fans agree with me

Last edited:
It is definition of insanity, but I am amazed at number of insane people out there. Just stay the course. Waiting for new, better results. Which never comes.

I would hire an NFL type. Cause my belief is recruiting has changed. You sell one thing in 2021! NFL..playing on Sunday.This ain't 1980. This is my marketing pitch, my 30 second sales pitch if I am coach with NFL background taking over program..."I coached in NFL, scouted in NFL, know NFL talent, know GM's and scouts, know what they want in incoming players, know what it takes to get players in NFL, will run NFL system with NFL type workouts".

IMO...this is going to be the new recruiting...academics, city, stadium, blah, blah, blah..in one ear, out the other.

I do believe Dino is back despite what I believe will be a depressing record. It is about the buyout. Too much money.

I believe I am right about future of college recruiting...sell NFL...many college fans agree with me

and when said coach whiffs on 95% of these recruits and realizes after a year or two that Syracuse is and always has been a developmental program built on 3 stars and most will need some time to develop then maybe they can face reality of the task at hand. It will take a very specific type coach to be successful long term here. Marrone was an NFL coach with NFL guys like Donnie Henderson, Rob Moore, Ty Wheatley, etc where were was all the NFL talent? Doug understood what needed to be done, he had a good staff that could coach and develop regardless of their background. That is what is needed and the next coach if there is one, needs to understand the landscape of Syracuse football. Did GROB showing his rings off prove successful?

You actually are so far behind in the race that you think you are in the lead with this type stuff.

The goal is to win games at the ACC level and if we get kids to the league then bonus. If you try and recruit 4 stars with the promise of the NFL you will fail and fail miserably here. You sound like Dr. Gross and his band of misfits. It ain't happening

Last edited:
Dream world.
Let's say the Orange lose 4 more before the end of the season, or even the next 4, does ADJW drop the axe and promote an coordinator at that point? Or is he going to whistle past the graveyard ( another old folk saying I can't derive any double entendre or woke deconstruction problems with).

Let's say the Orange lose 4 more before the end of the season, or even the next 4, does ADJW drop the axe and promote an coordinator at that point? Or is he going to whistle past the graveyard ( another old folk saying I can't derive any double entendre or woke deconstruction problems with).

I have no idea but if you think that the Pegulas' are going to write the check to buy out Dino you are insane. reminds of those expecting Al Davis to do something similar years ago.

As much as Dino's decisions have driven me nuts. It feels like we are on the cusp of another 2018. Had we started Shrader game 1 it could've been this year, but next year could be another special year.

All that said, the one realistic guy I'd take over Dino is Marrone.

We look a lot better and have more overall talent, but record wise we are still stuck. We haven't improved from the Shafer era outside of 2018. The way this year is going it will be 7 of the last 8 seasons where we fail to get 3 ACC Ws or 3 P5 Ws. When you play 9 a year and can't get 3 Ws, how can you justify keeping the status quo? If Dino goes 5-7 this year and we miss a Bowl, why keep him? Especially when he made bad decisions that played huge roles in the Rutgers, FSU, and Wake losses?

Even with 2018 Dino is 14-36 (.280) against the P5. Shafer was 8-22 (.267). Eye test we are improved but record wise we haven't moved.

I have no idea but if you think that the Pegulas' are going to write the check to buy out Dino you are insane. reminds of those expecting Al Davis to do something similar years ago.
There's deals to be made. Play a series of games at New Era or something like that.

Like I said, only in Syracuse will fans get this passionate about a 27-39 coach.

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC
Look I believed in him until this season. Then the stories about practice, the weirdest fan fest you could have, the strange interviews, then starting Devito AGAIN!, then this absolutely horrific play calling, the continuing to stick with TD, the ghastly penalties (like multiple punt formation issues), and the continued general lack of foundational grasp on how to coach during a game all became too much.

No it wasn’t, that was one of my points.
You are right we had the second most restricted Governor in the country.
Making playing football, and attending school, harder for our students than anyone else in our conference.

and when said coach whiffs on 95% of these recruits and realizes after a year or two that Syracuse is and always has been a developmental program built on 3 stars and most will need some time to develop then maybe they can face reality of the task at hand. It will take a very specific type coach to be successful long term here. Marrone was an NFL coach with NFL guys like Donnie Henderson, Rob Moore, Ty Wheatley, etc where were was all the NFL talent? Doug understood what needed to be done, he had a good staff that could coach and develop regardless of their background. That is what is needed and the next coach if there is one, needs to understand the landscape of Syracuse football. Did GROB showing his rings off prove successful?

You actually are so far behind in the race that you think you are in the lead with this type stuff.

The goal is to win games at the ACC level and if we get kids to the league then bonus. If you try and recruit 4 stars with the promise of the NFL you will fail and fail miserably here. You sound like Dr. Gross and his band of misfits. It ain't happening

Yep. Wake is the model for us. We went with the wrong BG coach.

Throwing it out is foolish. Only teams with 0-11 or 1-10 records call for seasons to be "thrown out". Noticed Alabama did not throw it out. The games were lost to teams that also dealt with covid.

IMO, this is part of the problem. Not just in sports. In society. It is a losers lament. Everyone is a victim. You are never to blame. It is someone elses fault. It is not a persons fault they decided to not get educated and now don't have job skills for a modern technological economy. Someone else is to blame. Not them. They are a victim!

When fan bases get used to losing the fingers get pointed at covid, injuries, refs, the league office. Everywhere except where problem is.

Unfortunately, that means the football problems...the real problems...are not addressed. It allows some to vent. Accomplishes nothing.
When you already have the best players, coaches, and live in a very lax COVID state, carrying on is much easier than retooling with young players a new OC and a new DC and no camp during a pandemic.

The "everyone went through" COVID implies it fell equally and it did not.

I'm sure if we ignored the impediments to success and just declared a "winners" mentality we'd win the ACC. People imply all the time that pointing out the things that make something hard is a "victim" mentality. It's not. It's about taking stakes properly so you know where you are and what needs to be accomplished to succeed.

What if the "football" problems are only a part of the solution and looking past the non-football ones are what's knee-capping the program.

Hopefully food for thought.

We look a lot better and have more overall talent, but record wise we are still stuck. We haven't improved from the Shafer era outside of 2018. The way this year is going it will be 7 of the last 8 seasons where we fail to get 3 ACC Ws or 3 P5 Ws. When you play 9 a year and can't get 3 Ws, how can you justify keeping the status quo? If Dino goes 5-7 this year and we miss a Bowl, why keep him? Especially when he made bad decisions that played huge roles in the Rutgers, FSU, and Wake losses?

Even with 2018 Dino is 14-36 (.280) against the P5. Shafer was 8-22 (.267). Eye test we are improved but record wise we haven't moved.
If you're moving on you'd better be sure of the reasons for his record, recruiting, etc.

(Also, gotta point out that Shafer dreams of the level of wins Dino had; prob a faulty comp)

and what would that do for the Pegulas they don't own the stadium? You are doing a hell of a job here
We're in kinda of fix here if the season doesn't pan out. Might very well be bowl or bust. If ADJW likes playing high stakes poker, he could double down or else come up with some creative plan in lieu of having the buyout cash in hand.

Morgan looked real promising. Mankiewicz, a Texas QB who has all the tangibles and Lamson who I hear is another in the style of Dungey/Shrader. I really like that QB room. All the time Dino has been here he really only brought in 1 guy, Devito, and that was a square peg for a round hole that he would not stop trying to make fit.
The question is will they all stay or some go the portal route?

dino's top WR just walked off the team. (a kid poised to set some records) and you think everything's cool ?
If the portal wasn’t an option do you think Harris would have left? Times have changed and players have more say than ever. It may not be good, but it’s what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom