Coaches #4 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches #4

Duke loses at home to an unranked team and drops 2 spots we lose on the road to an unranked team and drop 3 spots. Yeah, the polls get it right. The dude from South Carolina probably still has Louisville in the top 10 and dropped us down to like 8.

Duke loses at home to an unranked team and drops 2 spots we lose on the road to an unranked team and drop 3 spots. Yeah, the polls get it right. The dude from South Carolina probably still has Louisville in the top 10 and dropped us down to like 8.

Well, in all fairness, that unranked team destroyed UNC just a few days earlier and Cameron Indoor is clearly one of the toughest venues to come out of with a W. I think what really hurt us was just how bad we looked against a putrid ND team that will be fortunate to make the NIT this year.

Well, in all fairness, that unranked team destroyed UNC just a few days earlier and Cameron Indoor is clearly one of the toughest venues to come out of with a W. I think what really hurt us was just how bad we looked against a putrid ND team that will be fortunate to make the NIT this year.
Notre Dame isn't good by any means, but according to bracket "expert" and I use expert loosely Joe Lunardi Notre Dame is only in the first 4 out. So they aren't like losing to Providence or Rutgers. However, Florida State is the classic Jekyll and Hide team they have lost to Harvard, Princeton at home, and Clemson by 20 and beat an overrated North Carolina team who doesn't play defense and had probably the best win by any team this year in winning at Duke.

Definitely doesn't mean much, but just for a little perspective, when OSU lost it's first game without Sully, they did not fall in the rankings, and remained number 2. Although the game was on the road at Kansas. But still, everyone's reasoning for not dropping them was because they were playing without an important cog to their team. I don't understand why the same logic cannot be used in Syracuse's case. Melo may not put up the same numbers as Sully, but he sure as hell is just as important to his team, IMO. If any team had an argument to pass us, it would probably be Kansas. But it's hard to argue why there should be any team with 3 loses ahead of a 1 loss SU.

The same logic cannot be used in Syracuse's case because it's NOT the same logic.

Sullinger is, arguably, the BEST player in all of America.

While a starter, Melo is, arguably, a role player on Syracuse.

He's 7th on the team in scoring...

And while he does lead the squad in rebounds per game, at 5.7 boards per, he snares just one more per game than our SF (Joseph at 4.6) and our off the bench super-sub CJ (5.1)

Those guys are 5 inches shorter and who knows how many pounds lighter than Fab, yet they rebound quite similarly to him.

Yes, Fab blocks a bunch of shots and is an most definitely important cog in Syracuse's defense... but he is in no way, shape or form as important to Syracuse's success as Sullinger is to Ohio State's.

Take Melo off Cuse and the Orange still might win the Big East and earn no worse than a 2 seed.

Take Sullinger off Ohio State and the Buckeyes do not win the Big 10 - Nor do they garner a 1, 2, or 3 seed.

Notre Dame isn't good by any means, but according to bracket "expert" and I use expert loosely Joe Lunardi Notre Dame is only in the first 4 out. So they aren't like losing to Providence or Rutgers. However, Florida State is the classic Jekyll and Hide team they have lost to Harvard, Princeton at home, and Clemson by 20 and beat an overrated North Carolina team who doesn't play defense and had probably the best win by any team this year in winning at Duke.

Yeah, hard to figure FSU out. I certainly wouldn't want to face a team like that come tourney time...there wouldn't be any doubt we'd get the version that showed up against UNC & Duke.

To be fair, we lost on the road to an 11-8 ND without Melo.

OSU lost on the road to a top 15 team in Indiana (who also beat UK there) and a top 5 team in Kansas.

And a crap Illinois team.

And at illinois. With sullinger. An illinois team who just lost to penn state.

Tranisitive property does not apply in sports.

Makes bar talk fun, but it isn't real.

Unless you wanna admit that Georgia, Gonzaga, Maryland and Rutgers are all better than 'Cuse.

B/c they all beat Notre Dame.

Tranisitive property does not apply in sports.

Makes bar talk fun, but it isn't real.

Unless you wanna admit that Georgia, Gonzaga, Maryland and Rutgers are all better than 'Cuse.

B/c they all beat Notre Dame.

Point is they lost at full strength to a mediocre illinois team. Plus they have 2 other losses. I dont care if they were missing their entire starting lineup for those 3 losses. No way a 3 loss team should jump us, no way

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

The same logic cannot be used in Syracuse's case because it's NOT the same logic.

Sullinger is, arguably, the BEST player in all of America.

While a starter, Melo is, arguably, a role player on Syracuse.

He's 7th on the team in scoring...

And while he does lead the squad in rebounds per game, at 5.7 boards per, he snares just one more per game than our SF (Joseph at 4.6) and our off the bench super-sub CJ (5.1)

Those guys are 5 inches shorter and who knows how many pounds lighter than Fab, yet they rebound quite similarly to him.

Yes, Fab blocks a bunch of shots and is an most definitely important cog in Syracuse's defense... but he is in no way, shape or form as important to Syracuse's success as Sullinger is to Ohio State's.

Take Melo off Cuse and the Orange still might win the Big East and earn no worse than a 2 seed.

Take Sullinger off Ohio State and the Buckeyes do not win the Big 10 - Nor do they garner a 1, 2, or 3 seed.
Well then we'll agree to disagree. I already stated that Melo does not put up the numbers Sully puts up. I simply stated he is as important to his team as Sully is to Ohio State. Melo is the one player on this team we cannot replace, which can also be said about Sully and OSU. Obviously, this is opinion based, but it's my opinion.

Fact is, our interior defense was non existent against a mediocre Notre Dame team. Before losing Fab, we were averaging over 7 blocks a game. The Notre Dame game we had 2. There were also hardly any shot alterations with the absence of Fab, which is also a big part of our D. Melo also rebounds the ball much better than the two guys behind him, Rak and Keita. Another fact that doesn't come up in the stats is the quality of ball screens Fab sets, something neither Keita nor Rak can do as well. As we all know, ball screens are very important in our half court sets. So I don't think Fab's numbers truly indicate how important he is to this team.

And honestly, none of us have any clue how Cuse will do if Melo is no longer with us, or how OSU would do without Sully for an extended period of time. I know OSU looked a hell of a lot better without him in their game at Kansas than we did without Melo against an awful Notre Dame team.

It just feels like a different standard and difference criteria for Syracuse in the poll vs everyone else, especially Duke, UNC, Ohio State, Kentucky.

We are probably the only team ever that would have a 3 loss team jump us in a poll. Especially after our first loss on the road w/o our starting center. Guess we don't get the Sullinger rule. Haters Gonna Hate all the more fuel we have to prove every voter wrong and come out strong tonight.

YOu mean the teams that (cumulatively) beat ND, UConn, FLorida and Louisville?

The parity this year is crazy. Outside of UK, most teams have question marks right now (UK has there's, but they aren't as big as some other teams)

Pollsters are simply more confident in their assessments of teams like UNC, OSU, DUke, Kansas, and Kentucky based on their OOC schedules. They have seen how those teams compare vis-a-vis the best. All they see from us is how we compare against conference foes, and many probably feel the conference is overrated to some extent.

Pollsters are simply more confident in their assessments of teams like UNC, OSU, DUke, Kansas, and Kentucky based on their OOC schedules. They have seen how those teams compare vis-a-vis the best. All they see from us is how we compare against conference foes, and many probably feel the conference is overrated to some extent.

There is no room for making sense in this thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom