Coaches Caravan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches Caravan

No but I expect 10 nuggets of information out of you

Spicy nuggets...

Wendy%27s_Spicy_Chicken_Nuggets.gif

Went last night to the event in Rochester. Was pretty surprised at the turnout, placed was packed. Dyaisha Fair was there signing autographs and former OL Adam Terry walked in at some point.

A few things that caught my attention were Wildhack saying McCord turned down twice the amount of money from Nebraska that he got from Syracuse. Fran mentioned Savion Washington and the mountain of a human he is at least 3 times. Fran also commented how the former head coach (Dino) recruited some very high character players. A group of people were in the back talking pretty loudly while Fran had the mic and he called them out and told them to be quiet. I was pretty amused with that.

Overall it was a good time and am an even bigger fan of Fran after meeting him and listening to what he had to say. Very genuine and real.

I'll echo and add to 310Pigpen 's post. 3Heads Brewery was a nice location (excellent IPA's). Food trucks were stationed outside, along with a tent offering hot dogs with tasty toppings. Place was packed. With Matt Park as the emcee, JW kicked things off, wearing a brace on his left leg (and a temporarily slower "40 time"). After that Red, FLJ and HCFB took turns at the mic. Matt does a nice job at these events, queuing up guests with interesting questions, providing SU anecdotes and injecting humor.

As far as juicy 'insider' information, there wasn't much. Since 310 covered the other speakers, I'll offer a few observations about HCFB. First, he's a serious guy. For some reason I was expecting the usual cordial, glad-handing approach that many coaches display - shaking hands, yucking it up with fans, etc. Fran is not that guy. He comes across as very intense.

Second, he is clear about his expectations: "Are you committed and can I trust you". As he started a DART explanation, some attendees were yapping in the background. "Hey", he said, "settle down back there". The room went silent. I was standing next to JW and he had a big smile on his face.

Lastly, he picked out a few players to mention. The first was Savion Washington ('24 OT) - "6-9 325". He continued, reciting the height and weight each of the starting offensive lineman including (surprise?) "Petry". "He's a leader". I guess the Spring 2-deep was no joke.

Excellent event. Great to meet the coaches and see JW again. They're at Binghamton tonight.

Last edited:
I'll echo and add to 310Pigpen 's post. 3Heads Brewery was a nice location (excellent IPA's). Food trucks were stationed outside, along with a tent offering hot dogs with tasty toppings. Place was packed. With Matt Park as the emcee, JW kicked things off, wearing a brace on his left leg (and a temporarily slower "40 time"). After that Red, FLJ and HCFB took turns at the mic. Matt does a nice job at these events, queuing up guests with interesting questions, providing SU anecdotes and injecting humor.

As far as juicy 'insider' information, there wasn't much. Since 310 covered the other speakers, I'll offer a few observations about HCFB. First, he's a serious guy. For some reason I was expecting the usual cordial, glad-handing approach that many coaches display - shaking hands, yucking it up with fans, etc. Fran is not that guy. He comes across as very intense.

Second, he is clear about his expectations: "Are you committed and can I trust you". He started into DART, and at that point, with some attendees yapping in the background, he said, "hey, settle down back there". The room went silent. I was standing next to JW and he had a big smile on his face.

Lastly, he picked out a few players to mention. The first was Savion Washington ('24 OT) - "6-9 325". He continued, reciting the height and weight each of the starting offensive lineman including (surprise?) "Petry". "He's a leader". I guess the Spring 2-deep was no joke.

Excellent event. Great to meet the coaches and see JW again. They're at Binghamton tonight.
Cool. Not sure any two deep right now is going to be the two deep come August 31st (that is the home opener). But I think it is notable that Coach Brown still has Mark Petry on the first team offense. Good for him.

I would assume Petry is one of the starting OTs. Can you remember the whole starting OL? I can't imagine Fran would have Washington on his first team with him at Colorado for the spring semester.

Cool. Not sure any two deep right now is going to be the two deep come August 31st (that is the home opener). But I think it is notable that Coach Brown still has Mark Petry on the first team offense. Good for him.

I would assume Petry is one of the starting OTs. Can you remember the whole starting OL? I can't imagine Fran would have Washington on his first team with him at Colorado for the spring semester.
Good question. He did mention Enrique, Reed and Petry on the line. I think Savion came up initially because of his height - which fit Fran's answer about upgrading the size of both lines. I think money3189 was there, he might be able to fill in the other guys.

Last edited:

Second, he is clear about his expectations: "Are you committed and can I trust you". As he started a DART explanation, some attendees were yapping in the background. "Hey", he said, "settle down back there". The room went silent. I was standing next to JW and he had a big smile on his face.

He's remarkably consistent. Very similar to my past interactions. He's got his selling points down and he's very genuine. Everyone seems to love meeting him. He's our biggest weapon.

Petry holding onto a two deep spot continues to surprise me. He has age and experience and if he steps up as a leader great.

Went last night to the event in Rochester. Was pretty surprised at the turnout, placed was packed. Dyaisha Fair was there signing autographs and former OL Adam Terry walked in at some point.

A few things that caught my attention were Wildhack saying McCord turned down twice the amount of money from Nebraska that he got from Syracuse. Fran mentioned Savion Washington and the mountain of a human he is at least 3 times. Fran also commented how the former head coach (Dino) recruited some very high character players. A group of people were in the back talking pretty loudly while Fran had the mic and he called them out and told them to be quiet. I was pretty amused with that.

Overall it was a good time and am an even bigger fan of Fran after meeting him and listening to what he had to say. Very genuine and real.
Is this event a place where I can ask coach brown sign a Syracuse football? Or is it way too busy and crowded?

Does anyone connected know if they’re actually going to reschedule this?

More importantly, hope everyone stayed safe during the storms

Does anyone connected know if they’re actually going to reschedule this?

More importantly, hope everyone stayed safe during the storms
It is going to be a challenge because it is tough to find a date at this late notice when all the coaches will be available. I know they are trying to make it work.

My guess is if it happens, it will probably have to be scaled down a bit where not all the coaches attend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom