Coaching Carousel | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

The ACC appears to be the most innovative P-5 league. The SEC is filled with Saban wannabees and some retreads and the B1G is filled with boring hires and some retreads.
LOL...Retreads

Not a bad hire, however, his offense is predicated on the running QB, which Houston has. Rutgers does not. That's going to be a problem unless they can bring a running qb in immediately.

Whatever happened to the Fridge?

Will be unemployed unless the new Rutgers HC retains him. Was ACC Coach of the Year with 8 wins in 2010 and then released by UMd that same year! Another unbelievable decision by UMd, worse than UGa getting rid of Richt or Nebraska parting ways with Pelini. But I am sure he will wind up somewhere.

Is this a coaching carousel - or musical chairs?

"In an interview with WNST in Baltimore, Friedgen said he was so angry over the firing that he burned his Maryland diploma and now roots mainly for Georgia Tech, though later revoked that statement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Friedgen

Coaching carousel winners and losers
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coaching-carousel-winners-and-losers-210455034-ncaaf.html

WINNERS

Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division. The weaker half of the ACC now looks to have its strongest coaching lineup since the league split into two divisions.

Mark Richt fell into Miami’s lap when he was fired at Georgia, suddenly giving clarity and unanimity to a search that seemed unfocused at times. Richt must navigate the idiosyncratic recruiting ground of South Florida and demonstrate that he still has the fire within – but he’s easily the most proven coach The U has hired in a long time. It sure beats bringing back Butch Davis and all his NCAA baggage.

Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock probably had the most skillful coach-management season of anyone. He managed to ease legend-in-residence Frank Beamer into retirement with a minimum of acrimony (something also made possible by Beamer’s inherent class). He managed to outflank several competitors to land highly-sought Memphis coach Justin Fuente as his replacement. And he managed to both bypass star defensive coordinator Bud Foster as head coach but retain him as DC. Well done.

Virginia made the Stealth Hire of the Year, locking up BYU’s Bronco Mendenhall without anyone hearing a peep about it until the day it was announced. While Mendenhall will have to familiarize himself in a hurry with a very different recruiting territory and recruit demographic, he made a couple staff moves that should help in that area by retaining Virginia assistant Marques Hagans and hiring fired East Carolina coach Ruffin McNeill. Mendenhall certainly brings an accomplished track record to Charlottesville, having averaged nine wins per year in 11 seasons at BYU.

Syracuse. The Orange’s yardage production has declined every season since 2012, which is a big reason why Scott Shafer was canned. In comes Dino Babers, whose Bowling Green team was No. 4 nationally in total offense. It will be tougher sledding going against Clemson and Florida State annually than anyone in the MAC, but Babers’ offensive résumé fills Syracuse’s immediate need.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Virginia:
Navy defensive line coach Shaun Nua has been named defensive line coach at Virginia. Nua has spent the past four years at Virginia and previously worked under Bronco Mendenhall at BYU. This completes Mendenhall's full-time staff.

surprised it's been quiet on the BYU hiring front. Coach Naomanatua (or however you spell it) was supposed to interview Monday. I would have thought an announcement either way would have been made already.

surprised it's been quiet on the BYU hiring front. Coach Naomanatua (or however you spell it) was supposed to interview Monday. I would have thought an announcement either way would have been made already.

BYU:
The Capital Gazette reports that Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo’s triple-option offense may be a sticking point for BYU, with reporter Bill Wagner saying that BYU wants Niumatalolo, but not his offense.

BYU: The Capital Gazette reports that Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo’s triple-option offense may be a sticking point for BYU, with reporter Bill Wagner saying that BYU wants Niumatalolo, but not his offense.

So, they want him to coach but throw away the offense he has known and trusted for, what, 15 years or so? um, that would be like us telling Babers to scrap his Baylor-offense for the Navy's.

Virginia:
Navy defensive line coach Shaun Nua has been named defensive line coach at Virginia. Nua has spent the past four years at Virginia and previously worked under Bronco Mendenhall at BYU. This completes Mendenhall's full-time staff.
I'm confused - if Nua has spent the last 4 years at Virginia, how is (was) he the Navy D-line coach? :)

texascpa said:
might be the dumb move if the off season

So, they want him to coach but throw away the offense he has known and trusted for, what, 15 years or so? um, that would be like us telling Babers to scrap his Baylor-offense for the Navy's.

That's one of the dumbest things I have read. I'm sure Coach Niumatalolo appreciates them wasting his time.

That's one of the dumbest things I have read. I'm sure Coach Niumatalolo appreciates them wasting his time.

Now maybe we know why Bronco left - Administration telling him how to run his program.

Now maybe we know why Bronco left - Administration telling him how to run his program.
Well, he was there for 11 years. Is it a new administration?

Well, he was there for 11 years. Is it a new administration?

No idea, but a lot of folks have been curious as to why he would leave, especially since he's been so successful. Was it just the money?

No idea, but a lot of folks have been curious as to why he would leave, especially since he's been so successful. Was it just the money?
We've heard that there was also some frustration on his part regarding the reluctance of the athletic and school administration with joining a conference. He's spoken about their scheduling difficulties. One of the things that drew ND to the ACC deal was the continuing problem of scheduling late season games when schools are in the middle of their conference schedules. The deal with USC-w and Stanford fills a weekend in October at home and the last game of the year in Cali. Who else can they get in November?

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Dec-16

- Randy Edsall might look at potential NFL or broadcasting jobs, but
he’s owed $3 million from Maryland, so he can take his time. Reflecting on his work at Maryland in an interview with the Hartford Courant, he pointed to fixing the program's academic issues.

"We made the program better," Edsall said. "I stuck to my guns in terms of doing what I thought was right in terms of developing kids, graduating kids and having kids go out and work and play to the best of their ability. We didn't win enough games. So be it.

“But I wasn't going to compromise what I thought the college model should be in terms of graduating your kids, developing the kids and getting them ready for the real world, because less than 1 percent of them are going to the NFL. I wasn't going to compromise that. I was going to work within the framework of the institution."

I would believe what Edsall said if he didn't take a bit of a dump on UConn. That said, maybe he changed and was ready to be what a complete college coach should be.

BYU: The Capital Gazette reports that Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo’s triple-option offense may be a sticking point for BYU, with reporter Bill Wagner saying that BYU wants Niumatalolo, but not his offense.

That reminds me of XHCSS and his term at Michigan. I don't see this working unless Niumatalolo can bring his own offensive system.