OC/RB: Lynch
AHC/ST/WR: Lustig
WR/TE: Ferri
OL: Cavanaugh
DE: Reynolds
DL/LB: Stanard
DC/LB: Arnett
S/Nickel: Monroe

Something hasn't been announced yet, the staff just doesn't make sense right now.

Question Marks:
1. Kirk Martin - Not sure what he brings to the table with Gilbert coming in, hasn't 'crooted well.
2. Mike Lynch - Do him and Gilbert go to co-OCs? Does he accept a step back? Do we just let him go?
3. Vinson Reynolds - 'Crooted fairly well, but do we cut him loose and have Stanard take the DL, and go find a better 'crooter?

I'm interested to see how this shakes out over the next few weeks with the coaching convention and the two new additions. I can't imagine that we're done.
I love that ‘croots/‘crootin/‘crooter has become a thing on the board. It makes me think of Idiocracy every time.

C7B46176-8FA5-4D44-9B14-53B5D1C8E87A.jpeg

Why would Martin want to do that/why would we even bother keeping him around?

I think we should fire him but he is family to Dino so just speculating that Dino offers him an off field role. Why he would possibly take it is no one would hire him for anything good at this point

And what's up with Macky? His silence is interesting, but you have to guess he's leaving Kent state for another job? Coming home?

I think we should fire him but he is family to Dino so just speculating that Dino offers him an off field role. Why he would possibly take it is no one would hire him for anything good at this point
Correct. Give him an off-field role and a year to find a new gig... probably back in TX.

And what's up with Macky? His silence is interesting, but you have to guess he's leaving Kent state for another job? Coming home?
RB or OL coach?

OC/QB - Gilbert... going to help us land a 4 star QB next cycle... BOOK IT
RB - Lynch (I'd be fine if he was let go)
ST/AHC - Lustig (stud)
WR/TE - Ferri (stud)
OL - hopefully will be filled soon
DL - Stanard
DC/LB - Arnett
S/N - Monroe
CB - stud recruiter hopefully

I would be good seeing several changes. Lynch, Reynolds and Cavvy. Probably won't happen, but I expect to see 2 more changes. Kirk Martin could easily become an Analyst or just simply move on.

We really, really, really need to land a friggin STUD recruiter or 2 (pipe dream I know). Need to pay up, too. It will only pay off in spades. It's not hard math.

Did Cous put you up to this?
Hah. Not at all. It's a reasonable assumption that he could be back, and then the rest of the coaching staff falls in line.

Last edited:
You guys think Gilbert is leaving a HC position for a Co-OC position? That seems like a big demotion.

He almost has to bring in someone.

Might see a couple more departures.

2 great hires today so I won’t speculate let the chips fall where they may.

You guys think Gilbert is leaving a HC position for a Co-OC position? That seems like a big demotion.
The guy Gilbert replaced was making 180K... Have to guess our lowest paid is earning quite a bit more than that.

Co OC Sean Lewis left Cuse for more than twice what Mcneese is paying. It is in no way a demotion to go from FCS head coach to P5 assistant.

The guy Gilbert replaced was making 180K... Have to guess our lowest paid is earning quite a bit more than that.

Co OC Sean Lewis left Cuse for more than twice what Mcneese is paying. It is in no way a demotion to go from FCS head coach to P5 assistant.
I know Gilbert made $100K his last year at USF. He was set to get a raise to $400K if he had stayed there. But he might have sensed things were not going to end well there after the 6 game losing streak to end 2018.

I have to believe both coordinators will bring at least one coach with them. As mentioned before, I think Sterlin will want to bring in Matt Mattox to be the OL coach, but Matt just signed a contract with UTSA and it is a different situation that normal when a new OC comes in, since Sterlin will be surrounded with people already familiar with his scheme, so maybe not.

If Matt doesn’t come, I think the move is to put Lynch at OL and hire a recruiter as the new RB coach. If Matt comes, I think Mike ends up the RB coach, though he might end up joining Sean Lewis at Kent State, where last I knew, they have an opening at RB coach.

Could Macky end up the new RB coach at Syracuse? I guess crazier things have happened. He knows the system. But I think we need a proven recruiter for this hire.

Agree that Martin is headed for an analyst role or maybe back to Texas. Happy trails Kirk.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think it is imperative that Zach bring at least one coach with him, to help implement the new scheme (and to protect Syracuse in case Zach gets poached some day).

When Gonzales left San Diego State to become the DC at Arizona State, he brought the CB coach, Tony White with him. That guy took over as the Arizona State DC when Gonzales became the HC at New Mexico.

If Arnett brings someone from San Diego State with him, who will it be?

The DL coach was Hoke. So he is out.

The safety coach, Richard Sanchez, was not retained by Hoke and is available, But we have Nick Monroe. So he is probably a no go, though I suppose he could be switched to corners.

Then there is the cornerback coach at San Diego State, Demetrius Sumler. He was retained by Hoke but I am quite sure Syracuse could offer him a significant raise to leave. I think the chances are good he will be heading here. We need a cornerback coach and we need someone who knows the Long 3-3-5 scheme. HE checks both boxes.

If he doesn’t want to leave San Diego, I bet Ernest Lawson would. Ernest was the DL coach at San Diego State before Hoke came last season. He got fired to make room for Brady. I believe he coached at a high school in 2019.

Also remember the name Jordan Thomas. Jordan is a GA at San Diego State who works with the DL. He has worked closely with Zach (worked with the LBs in 2018) and I would assume he has to be seriously considered as someone Zach might bring with him to Syracuse. Jordan played at San Diego State under Long and knows the scheme very well.

I have to believe both coordinators will bring at least one coach with them. As mentioned before, I think Sterlin will want to bring in Matt Mattox to be the OL coach, but Matt just signed a contract with UTSA and it is a different situation that normal when a new OC comes in, since Sterlin will be surrounded with people already familiar with his scheme, so maybe not.

If Matt doesn’t come, I think the move is to put Lynch at OL and hire a recruiter as the new RB coach. If Matt comes, I think Mike ends up the RB coach, though he might end up joining Sean Lewis at Kent State, where last I knew, they have an opening at RB coach.

Could Macky end up the new RB coach at Syracuse? I guess crazier things have happened. He knows the system. But I think we need a proven recruiter for this hire.

Agree that Martin is headed for an analyst role or maybe back to Texas. Happy trails Kirk.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think it is imperative that Zach bring at least one coach with him, to help implement the new scheme (and to protect Syracuse in case Zach gets poached some day).

When Gonzales left San Diego State to become the DC at Arizona State, he brought the CB coach, Tony White with him. That guy took over as the Arizona State DC when Gonzales became the HC at New Mexico.

The safety coach, Richard Sanchez, was not retained by Hoke and is available, But we have Nick Monroe. So he is probably a no go, though I suppose he could be switched to corners.

Then there is the cornerback coach at San Diego State, Demetrius Sumler. He was retained by Hoke but I am quite sure Syracuse could offer him a significant raise to leave. I think the chances are good he will be heading here. We need a cornerback coach and we need someone who knows the Long 3-3-5 scheme. HE checks both boxes.

If he doesn’t want to leave San Diego, I bet Ernest Lawson would. Ernest was the DL coach at San Diego State before Hoke came last season. He got fired to make room for Brady. I believe he coached at a high school in 2019.

Also remember the name Jordan Thomas. Jordan is a GA at San Diego State who works with the DL. He has worked closely with Zach (worked with the LBs in 2018) and I would assume he has to be seriously considered as someone Zach might bring with him to Syracuse. Jordan played at San Diego State under Long and knows the scheme very well.

To quote Rex Chapman, “this is the content I’m here for”.

There may be a DL coach, but not from SDSU. I'm not positive so I'll just wait and see.

The buyout for Gilbert, per that one article I posted, is 100,000. With Mattox signing with UTSA there is surely another buy out. Guess it depends how much money SU wants to pay out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom