Coaching Staff | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff

Wow, a Rex Chapman sighting; that takes me back to, what, the mid-1980's?
There's a very entertaining Twitter feed, and the person uses the name "Rex Chapman." I think that's what Jake is referring to.

I just don’t see why Lynch would be Co-OC. He hasn’t proven anything to deserve that. I want new OC to have the reigns completely
The players, on offense, would storm the gates of hell for Lynch. Know this from multiple sources. It’d be a big transition, I don’t think we have anything to lose keeping him at Co and RB coach. He’s been fine in positional coaching.

I have to believe both coordinators will bring at least one coach with them. As mentioned before, I think Sterlin will want to bring in Matt Mattox to be the OL coach, but Matt just signed a contract with UTSA and it is a different situation that normal when a new OC comes in, since Sterlin will be surrounded with people already familiar with his scheme, so maybe not.

If Matt doesn’t come, I think the move is to put Lynch at OL and hire a recruiter as the new RB coach. If Matt comes, I think Mike ends up the RB coach, though he might end up joining Sean Lewis at Kent State, where last I knew, they have an opening at RB coach.

Could Macky end up the new RB coach at Syracuse? I guess crazier things have happened. He knows the system. But I think we need a proven recruiter for this hire.

Agree that Martin is headed for an analyst role or maybe back to Texas. Happy trails Kirk.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think it is imperative that Zach bring at least one coach with him, to help implement the new scheme (and to protect Syracuse in case Zach gets poached some day).

When Gonzales left San Diego State to become the DC at Arizona State, he brought the CB coach, Tony White with him. That guy took over as the Arizona State DC when Gonzales became the HC at New Mexico.

If Arnett brings someone from San Diego State with him, who will it be?

The DL coach was Hoke. So he is out.

The safety coach, Richard Sanchez, was not retained by Hoke and is available, But we have Nick Monroe. So he is probably a no go, though I suppose he could be switched to corners.

Then there is the cornerback coach at San Diego State, Demetrius Sumler. He was retained by Hoke but I am quite sure Syracuse could offer him a significant raise to leave. I think the chances are good he will be heading here. We need a cornerback coach and we need someone who knows the Long 3-3-5 scheme. HE checks both boxes.

If he doesn’t want to leave San Diego, I bet Ernest Lawson would. Ernest was the DL coach at San Diego State before Hoke came last season. He got fired to make room for Brady. I believe he coached at a high school in 2019.

Also remember the name Jordan Thomas. Jordan is a GA at San Diego State who works with the DL. He has worked closely with Zach (worked with the LBs in 2018) and I would assume he has to be seriously considered as someone Zach might bring with him to Syracuse. Jordan played at San Diego State under Long and knows the scheme very well.

Bring in whoever is SDSU's best recruiter

I have to believe both coordinators will bring at least one coach with them. As mentioned before, I think Sterlin will want to bring in Matt Mattox to be the OL coach, but Matt just signed a contract with UTSA and it is a different situation that normal when a new OC comes in, since Sterlin will be surrounded with people already familiar with his scheme, so maybe not.

If Matt doesn’t come, I think the move is to put Lynch at OL and hire a recruiter as the new RB coach. If Matt comes, I think Mike ends up the RB coach, though he might end up joining Sean Lewis at Kent State, where last I knew, they have an opening at RB coach.

Could Macky end up the new RB coach at Syracuse? I guess crazier things have happened. He knows the system. But I think we need a proven recruiter for this hire.

Agree that Martin is headed for an analyst role or maybe back to Texas. Happy trails Kirk.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think it is imperative that Zach bring at least one coach with him, to help implement the new scheme (and to protect Syracuse in case Zach gets poached some day).

When Gonzales left San Diego State to become the DC at Arizona State, he brought the CB coach, Tony White with him. That guy took over as the Arizona State DC when Gonzales became the HC at New Mexico.

The safety coach, Richard Sanchez, was not retained by Hoke and is available, But we have Nick Monroe. So he is probably a no go, though I suppose he could be switched to corners.

Then there is the cornerback coach at San Diego State, Demetrius Sumler. He was retained by Hoke but I am quite sure Syracuse could offer him a significant raise to leave. I think the chances are good he will be heading here. We need a cornerback coach and we need someone who knows the Long 3-3-5 scheme. HE checks both boxes.

If he doesn’t want to leave San Diego, I bet Ernest Lawson would. Ernest was the DL coach at San Diego State before Hoke came last season. He got fired to make room for Brady. I believe he coached at a high school in 2019.

Also remember the name Jordan Thomas. Jordan is a GA at San Diego State who works with the DL. He has worked closely with Zach (worked with the LBs in 2018) and I would assume he has to be seriously considered as someone Zach might bring with him to Syracuse. Jordan played at San Diego State under Long and knows the scheme very well.

Only problem I see with Sumler is that he is a native San Diegoan, so I question whether he would want to relocate across the country and I seriously question his recruiting ties to our areas of strength.

It's imperative we get at least one ace recruiter this offseason. So it will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Great post Tom. Thank you.

The players, on offense, would storm the gates of hell for Lynch. Know this from multiple sources. It’d be a big transition, I don’t think we have anything to lose keeping him at Co and RB coach. He’s been fine in positional coaching.
Players get over it. They carried Shaf off the field after the last game. My two cents is Mike is retained. Hopefully not as Co OC but as a position coach. Id have Cav gone, Mike to OL and bring in a stud recruiting guy at RB.

I know a few who would love to see Lynch take over the OLine. ;):)
Wasn’t Lynch the OL coach originally and we were struggling at that position so Dino brought in a dedicated OL coach with a long history in Cavanaugh? Thought we saw some decent improvement in Cav’s first year (may have been the dungey effect or combo of that and 2 senior tackles) and then obviously backwards this year.

I’d be surprised if Lynch went back to OL, but If there was a move here could see Mattox come in as sutomcat had suggested. I’d also be ok w another year of Cavanaugh to see what he could do with returning guys we have plus addition of Bleich and potentially Reed if they are enrolled and eligible.

Last edited:
Wasn’t Lynch the OL coach originally and we were struggling at that position so Dino brought in a dedicated OL coach with a long history in Cavanaugh? Thought we saw some decent improvement in Cav’s first year (may have been the dungey effect or combo of that and 2 senior tackles) and then obviously backwards this year.

I’d be surprised if Lynch went back to OL, but If there was a move here could see Mattox come in as sutomcat had suggested. I’d also be ok w another year of Cavanaugh to see what he could do with returning guys we have plus addition of Bleich and potentially Reed if they are enrolled and eligible.
Cav definitely has much more of a OL resume than Lynch, though Lynch has recruited a little better.

OL Coach is the one coaching position on a football team where you don't just throw anyone in there. The o line is the engine of the whole team, and not an easy one to coach at that. Not just any old coach on the football team will suffice

I would keep Cavanaugh. Line showed great improvement when players were beginning to play in position in the latter part of last year

OL Coach is the one coaching position on a football team where you don't just throw anyone in there. The o line is the engine of the whole team, and not an easy one to coach at that. Not just any old coach on the football team will suffice

I would keep Cavanaugh. Line showed great improvement when players were beginning to play in position in the latter part of last year
He was also against the transfer who quit but they overruled him and he ended up correct so there’s that.

This is the truth. I’ve heard the same thing

This is the truth. I’ve heard the same thing
That's usually the case for any position coach. Likeability does not the measuring stick.

Cav didn’t want Alexander? That’s news to me. Thanks for that tidbit. I like him more now.
Yeah not sure what it was but he wasn’t a guy he was trying to get but lynch and Dino wanted him.

Huge opportunity to revamp the staff and I want to see the AD step up to the plate and go after it. We need some recruiters on deck. Now is the chance to go out and get them. Definitely encouraged by the Gilbert hire, but of course I'm a greedy bastard and want more.

Hat nod to the coaches who are out, they'll always be Cuse to me and I hope they all land on their feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom