Cohen Article on HCSS- Great Job | Syracusefan.com

Cohen Article on HCSS- Great Job

RICuse44

Starter
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...h_scott_shafer_ho_1.html#incart_flyout_sports

Very nicely done. Please keep doing these articles and let Tomcat and Rocco take over talking about actual football matters. Shows you that HCSS is not your average college head coach. I loved this piece. I've run out of eligibility otherwise I would try to walk on. At which point HCSS would laugh at me and my out of shape 34 year old self.

Agree, great article. Will definitely make him a better coach, recruiter, coach and most importantly a mentor of young men looking for a great way to improve their lives.

Cohen is just a snot nosed (as opposed to hard nosed) kid who has a lot to learn. He can obviously write but he has to learn how to be right. Being provocative for the sake of getting attention is the trick of small children and small minds. He has to understand that his audience has people who know far more about the subject he is assigned to write about and they are not bashful about calling him out.
I love Orange Football and have been privileged to see the Little's, Csonka's, Morris's, McNabbs etc live but that does not make me a expert - it makes me a fan. This board is great because I can express an opinion or ask a question and generally (with some obvious exceptions) get some well informed answers. Cohen has to understand his audience better and while he doesn't have to pander he does have to make sense and should shy away from making absolute statements about those aspects about which he really does not know much.
Question, probe yes - expound like an airbag - no.

I'm sure the kid has gotten backlash for his bad judgement. That's how you learn. Have you made any mistakes in your life and been given another chance? He wrote a very good piece here so how about we lay off a little bit and give him a chance to redeem.

DON'T CLICK THAT LINK.

Cohen has spit enough venom about the team. Don't support his work.
You are not alone in disliking some of what Cohen has written but, if people follow your advice on this, they will miss out on a very well written article that gives a lot of insight into who and what our new head coach is.

I have not like Cohens articles or approach at all but if this article is any indication of the young mans potential we should provide him with a second chance. It is one of the better written articles i have read in the last 5 years on a Syracuse sports figure. Well done i hope that this is a turning point for him.

this is a very good article; no matter who is the author. if you love Syracuse football and want greater insight into who HCSS truly is, a must-read/ the author is young and has made some missteps in reporting about the program and yet when one reads this article it's clearly well written and researched. Perhaps we need to cut him some slack and see what he does with reporting SU football from here on.

You are not alone in disliking some of what Cohen has written but, if people follow your advice on this, they will miss out on a very well written article that gives a lot of insight into who and what our new head coach is.
Thanks for getting me to read the article.
It's probably Cohen's best for that website.

Cohen and Mink both seem to do a good job at the personal profile stories. It's too bad that they can't stick to this and rely on someone else for the team coverage.

People should take the time to read this- it's well done.

I have not like Cohens articles or approach at all but if this article is any indication of the young mans potential we should provide him with a second chance. It is one of the better written articles i have read in the last 5 years on a Syracuse sports figure. Well done i hope that this is a turning point for him.

In fairness, he had pretty good material to work with in this case.

Glad I read this one. If these writers can figure out that covering SU football is not an audition for Outside The Lines or for 60 Minutes, they will be well served. Maybe this writer's effort to delve into some of the experiences that have forged HCSS's character will cultivate some development in that regard. Let's hope so. Talent alone is never enough, and like they say, patience is a virtue.

DON'T CLICK THAT LINK.

Cohen has spit enough venom about the team. Don't support his work.

Agreed. We shouldn't have to be doing back flips because he actually wrote something worth reading.

He pulled BS when he was with the DO, he pulled BS in some of his articles with the PS and he pulled BS on twitter. Now he writes one acceptable article (likely with people looking over his shoulder) and that's supposed to make us forget all the BS he's already pulled? Give me a break.

Is rather go spend the night in a dumpster than read any more of his work.

In fairness, he had pretty good material to work with in this case.
Agreed but he also did well with it and the material im assuming was researched by him. I hope that when it comes to team coverage that he can simply report the facts and not interject himself or a negative slant into the writing. Kid showed some talent in this article i hope that he keeps it up.

I appears to have gone down the memory hole, but Rahme wrote a similar story when Shafer got the job.

I love the article and can respect someone who is willing to submerse themselves in a culture far from what they would call their "comfort zone" and learn from it all. I can honestly say I don't have the balls to place myself in the run down streets of cities like Akron. This story makes me feel that this man knows what he's doing and can teach our beloved Orange some need values our society is so desperately lacking. Great Article....lets go orange!

It's a great article. Talented writer, not sure if he's a reporter though. There is a difference.

I'd take a writer over a reporter in most cases. Reporting can improve. Writing tends to be a skill you either have or don't have. Regardless, people are crazy about this stuff. Young kid learning a bit on the job -- it's a natural progression. Most here couldn't make it to class let alone write a credible article for a publication in college.

I'd take a writer over a reporter in most cases. Reporting can improve. Writing tends to be a skill you either have or don't have. Regardless, people are crazy about this stuff. Young kid learning a bit on the job -- it's a natural progression. Most here couldn't make it to class let alone write a credible article for a publication in college.
Really? I beg to differ...speak for yourself.

I love the article and can respect someone who is willing to submerse themselves in a culture far from what they would call their "comfort zone" and learn from it all. I can honestly say I don't have the balls to place myself in the run down streets of cities like Akron. This story makes me feel that this man knows what he's doing and can teach our beloved Orange some need values our society is so desperately lacking. Great Article....lets go orange!

That's why I spend so much time on this board. Just to see how the other half lives.

They really should have one of each. Reporting is becoming a lost art. Which drives many of us crazy. The human interest stories are great though.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken Nolan's Feb. 1st story was the first time anyone at the PS ever wrote anything revealing about Shafer's past coaching experience. I always found that kind of frustrating and a head scratcher, but with this Nolan article I recall being very happy to finally get the story on what happened with Shafer at Stanford.