Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

It's pathetic that folks in person or on social media directly attack any player.

Sadly more than not far too many want their pound of flesh and social media is the equivalent of everyone having your phone number to come directly at you or your family.

Why is Pete Moore responding to a random person on Twitter, especially with the phrasing regarding Cole? And other players that aren’t 100% to come back?

What’s he doing?

Reminder - this is a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Board when it comes to sources. He might have overheard something and it slipped out. Kids do change their minds, too. Depends on who spoke to them last, sometimes.

Here’s my 2 cents. This is my conjecture piecing together tidbits I’ve heard and knowing human nature.

I think JB actually wanted Jimmy and Buddy to return and that was known internally. He simply didn’t want his sons legacy to be tarnished by a sub par season and wanted to give them a chance at redemption.

I don’t think Cole saw a benefit of returning in this circumstance and indicated he was leaving…and I that was fine with JB.

This was probably where we were up until JB leaked the idea of Jimmy applying for a waiver - which was about the time things really looked a losing season was possible, if not likely…and the natives were really getting restless.

Then, I honestly think Juli stepped in. Juli puts up a brave face, but I don’t think this season has been fun for her at all. Fans can be unbelievably mean and insensitive. I saw her plenty at road games…not so much at the dome. I don’t think she wanted any part of this happening again next year in what might have been growing public discontent. It’s not how any of them wanted this season to go, but I think she made the call. Remember, you always recruit mom….she’s the decision maker!

So now that it appears JB3 and Buddy are indeed gone, there is a mutual interest from Coach and Cole for him to return.

Cole can be more of a focus of the offense. And JB gets a piece of a puzzle so he can have a successful season next year that he desperately wants.

So that’s my take on how this has shifted.

Edit: just saw Mike Waters clarification….but I think what I said above holds true and that Swider is seriously considering a return.
So we think Jimmy still has a shot at coming back?

My source says Cole plans on coming back. Hardly groundbreaking but the source is very close to the situation.
Best news I have heard all week -- thanks for sharing! (and I will indeed give you some credit towards some "groundbreaking" as the most positive comment I had seen on the topic recently was only 50/50). This would be a gamechanger now that we discovered we actually have a true PG as well (not to mention a full season of Jesse).

Last edited:
I never would’ve thought this 2 months or so ago, but he really had some great performances as the year went on.

Playing more minutes with a distributor like Torrence, and a center who will draw doubles like Edwards should help him continue to get good looks. And even having Girard at the 2 - not a great distributor or penetrator for a PG, but as a two he’s pretty solid in those areas and obviously his range stretches the floor….that should help Cole get looks too,

Man, if Benny can remotely come close to his HS press clippings and make a large sophomore leap we could be pretty good. I’m thinking like a Damone Brown freshman to sophomore leap. Give us 10 and 5 and solid defense. Doable?
Add in Judah or a solid transfer at forward, and we’re cooking with gas.

I wish Buddy was returning.

And I think some are missing some of that post.

“Fans can be unbelievably mean and insensitive.”
Fans can be insensitive. We can. But would anyone in Syracuse be mean or insensitive to Juli? She’s amazing and is beloved in the community. I’m sure she has a great group of friends who help keep her spirits up. Sure, she might hear a few complaining blowhards at the Dome sitting around her, but she’s not listening to talk radio or reading message boards. I think the pain Jake is talking about is watching how much the losing has weighed on her husband (in a year that was supposed to be a capstone) but also on both of her sons. That’s a lot of pain and frustration for everyone to be carrying around the house when they’re all there.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest. My take is the kid (cole) will be 23 next year. It’s time for him to move one. It’s getting a little crazy some of those kids / men are ending up at 23/24 and still acting like college kids
I tend to agree, but wouldn’t mind him here another year too

These players all lost because of covid. My daughter lost year Senior year of Lacrose and college. No ceremony. No college experience. With the way things are in the world unless they are simply ready to move on why not come back. Be with your friends. Do what you love and continue your education for free at a great school.

There are guys playing college hockey at 25 if they played juniors before going to college. Some Mormons are 24 or 25 in college after completing their post-high school missions. Rhino on our football team will be 30 this year and I love it!
Necessary Roughness GIF

I never would’ve thought this 2 months or so ago, but he really had some great performances as the year went on.

Playing more minutes with a distributor like Torrence, and a center who will draw doubles like Edwards should help him continue to get good looks. And even having Girard at the 2 - not a great distributor or penetrator for a PG, but as a two he’s pretty solid in those areas and obviously his range stretches the floor….that should help Cole get looks too,

Man, if Benny can remotely come close to his HS press clippings and make a large sophomore leap we could be pretty good. I’m thinking like a Damone Brown freshman to sophomore leap. Give us 10 and 5 and solid defense. Doable?
I'm not sure why... But I'm extremely excited about Williams going forward.

I think we lock him in as a starter next year and he becomes a very good player. I'm thinking even better than Damone Brown's leap.

I remember Etan Thomas being terrible his freshman year, but there was one play that made me think he was going to be good. It was actually a missed dunk, but he showed grace and explosiveness in that one move that made me say "wow."

I can't put my finger on that one single move from Williams, but I have that same feeling with him.

Last edited:
Eh, he’s being a dad. I get it. Try to look at it from his perspective.
Yeah, you only think you are able to be objective as a dad... If my son manages to not fall down when the ball gets kicked to him, I think I have a future soccer star. JB is a man, but a basketball coaching robot.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why... But I'm extremely excited about Williams going forward.

I think we lock him in as a starter next year and he becomes a very good player. I'm thinking even better than Damone Brown's leap.

I remember Etan Thomas being terrible his freshman year, but there was one play that made me think he was going to be good. It was actually a missed dunk, but he showed grace and explosiveness in that one move that made me say "wow."

I can't put my finger on that one single move from Williams, but I have that same feeling with him.
He had a couple of weak side blocks in the zone that were spectacular.

Benny is far more Hakim Warrick, Damone Brown than Kris Jo, Wes Jo or Billy Owens in terms of playing style. He needs to own that and master it.

Four big things that can really propel him forward are

1- Work on his hands. Benny needs to make it priority number one that he catches and holds on to everything. As many simulated catches in traffic as he can possibly stand.

2- Finish the drive. Benny bails on his drive too soon. One more dribble to a jump stop and then laying it in or throwing it down. Even if he has offensive foul issues like as he works it out, be aggressive. We know he can pass it which is great but be a threat to score.

3- Clean up release on the jump shot. Benny is pushing his shot too much and part of that is timing on the release to go with lack of arc.

4- Sliding on defense. You can tell he is much more comfortable playing mtm in how he does well sliding his feet on the perimeter but loses himself chasing in rotations. If JB isn't just saying things and mixes in more MTM- Benny i think can be an elite defender given his length and instincts on the ball. He can be a good zone defender too especially as a weak side shot blocker but needs a lot of work on rotations.

I’ll be honest. My take is the kid (cole) will be 23 next year. It’s time for him to move one. It’s getting a little crazy some of those kids / men are ending up at 23/24 and still acting like college kids
We know Cole wants to be a sportscaster down the road. That is one of the reasons Syracuse was a finalist when he was in HS and a big reason he transferred here late.

Coming back for another season gives him more chances to take Newhouse courses in his chosen field.

He wasn’t happy with his role at Villanova. Wanted more freedom on offense. And more playing time.

JB promised him he would get those things and he delivered. Cole always thought he was capable of taking over games and scoring 30 plus points and at Syracuse, he had the freedom to make it happen.

It has to be tempting to think, if I could do this being the 3rd (or 4th or even 5th) option on the offense this season, what could I do next season? Especially there is a true pass first PG running the offense next year.

Maybe he wants to see what he can do as the man? Maybe he wants to end his college career on a more positive note?

Guessing experts are telling him his future as of today is playing basketball in Europe. That is where the best money is for a player like him. Maybe he is thinking it might be prudent to avoid playing over there right now? The uncertainty of COVID is bad enough but there could be a full scale war over there by basketball season next year.

There are lots of reasons for him to consider staying.

We know Cole wants to be a sportscaster down the road. That is one of the reasons Syracuse was a finalist when he was in HS and a big reason he transferred here late.

Coming back for another season gives him more chances to take Newhouse courses in his chosen field.

He wasn’t happy with his role at Villanova. Wanted more freedom on offense. And more playing time.

JB promised him he would get those things and he delivered. Cole always thought he was capable of taking over games and scoring 30 plus points and at Syracuse, he had the freedom to make it happen.

It has to be tempting to think, if I could do this being the 3rd (or 4th or even 5th) option on the offense this season, what could I do next season? Especially there is a true pass first PG running the offense next year.

Maybe he wants to see what he can do as the man? Maybe he wants to end his college career on a more positive note?

Guessing experts are telling him his future as of today is playing basketball in Europe. That is where the best money is for a player like him. Maybe he is thinking it might be prudent to avoid playing over there right now? The uncertainty of COVID is bad enough but there could be a full scale war over there by basketball season next year.

There are lots of reasons for him to consider staying.

Spot on. Plus mentally, maybe more than any player we have he is built for that leadership role. He does everything from scoring to rebounding to maxing out his floor burns.

We did seem to have a very old team for modern college basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom