Cole Swider to hire an agent and declare for the NBA Draft | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider to hire an agent and declare for the NBA Draft

There are times when losing a talented player early is addition by subtraction (e.g. Michael Lloyd, DeShaun Williams, Eric Devendorf). I don't see this as one of those times. We would have a stronger roster next year with Cole in it. He did everything that was asked of him this year and I wish him the best. In a perfect world he would have been playing 20-25 min per game this past year and not 35.

If you don't replace Cole (hence a team without Cole being just fine) we are likely looking at something like 2018-2019. Girard, like Hughes is the only proven 3 pt shooter. You have a big 3 in Girard, Edwards and hopefully Mintz. After that it's on the development of Benny (wildcard), Frank Howard was also a wildcard. You add a veteran in Torrence ( like we had in Bourama).

You then toss out a long list of unknowns. We had 9 guys who played 10 minutes per game that year. We were really tough on D but putrid on offense. We won with a lot of hero ball. You hope Mintz can break that down with help off the bench from Symir.

You hope Taylor or Bunch can be 3pt threats. You hope depth comes from Brown or Carey. You hope Copeland gives you more than say an 18-19 Jalen Carey.

It's all a guessing game. Not to mention one of the big 3, without Cole coming back is still a freshman himself. So it's more a big 2 that we know of.

Thus anyone saying losing Cole is no biggie must really like rock fights or have a crystal ball.

Thus we need a replacement who can put the ball in the hoop. Ideally that would be someone in this large recruiting class. Thus find the 1 yr rental and if the youngsters upstage him then so be it.

yeah, because a high school kid that isn't ranked in the top 100 is going to be as good. And Swider did score 15 against Duke in the ACC tournament. Don't double down on dumb. I have never questioned how smart you are but if you can't see the connection to what you said, that we were 16-17 with him so what is the loss? That is the connection to Tucker. It wasn't that hard to understand. Using your failed logic, if we were 16-17 where is the loss. So we were 5-7, where is the loss. Swider is a good player. We don't have a replacement for him. I saw Bunch. He isn't a replacement. And what could Cole do witha real pt guard setting up his 41% 3 pt shooting? Oh, and Bees, who doesn't need me to defend him,, did not say that Cole was our LeBron. He was just showing how foolish your 16-17 point was. You should have been able to figure that out.

Gimme a break with this stuff, Tucker is an All American and football is a completely different animal. If Tucker were to get hurt this season, it might not change the outcome of the season.

Cole won't do anything with a real point guard because he's not a #1 option. He's not a guy who's going to carry a team on his back. I know our expectations are in the gutter but with or without Cole the outcome next season won't change. Just like adding him last season didn't change anything. It's bleak with or without him. I'd rather we go with the youth movement and play for the future.

Gimme a break with this stuff, Tucker is an All American and football is a completely different animal. If Tucker were to get hurt this season, it might not change the outcome of the season.

Cole won't do anything with a real point guard because he's not a #1 option. He's not a guy who's going to carry a team on his back. I know our expectations are in the gutter but with or without Cole the outcome next season won't change. Just like adding him last season didn't change anything. It's bleak with or without him. I'd rather we go with the youth movement and play for the future.
You are entitled to your opinion. I am not willing to write next year off. I don't have a crystal ball and don't know what some guys can or can't do with this extra year. I do know that right now, we aren't as good as we were 2 days ago. You don't care about that, fine. But I want the guy that scored 36 against the team that is playing for the national title just two weeks before the NCAA tournament.

Chaz is on scholarship, both he and JBA have a difficult decision to make.

So if Frank and Cole stayed, Mintz committed, what would have happened? Can we take scholarships away? Or are they a year to year award?

So if Frank and Cole stayed, Mintz committed, what would have happened? Can we take scholarships away? Or are they a year to year award?
We can't take them away.

So if those 2 decide to stay (on the bench), we can only offer 1 transfer player?
I knew all those math classes you skipped would serve you well some day

You're exactly right - we needed one person to hit the portal to be able to bring in Mintz. Thank you Frank (I guess). Now with Cole leaving that opens up one more spot unless more hit the portal.

I knew all those math classes you skipped would serve you well some day

You're exactly right - we needed one person to hit the portal to be able to bring in Mintz. Thank you Frank (I guess). Now with Cole leaving that opens up one more spot unless more hit the portal.

926099cb-0cde-44a1-b4c8-9168f6b82674_text.gif

He’s getting a look but they will look at everyone that think can be a good fit. He has a little injury history too so we’ll
John Camden out of Memphis. Cuse recruited him hard. He’s in portal
What about Williams from Buffalo if he withdraws his name?

I think he is perfect and I think he will come back too.
but has anyone heard that he wants to transfer if he does? And quite frankly, after 16-17, we aren't as attractive as we were just last year coming off a sweet 16 run.

Winning builds chemistry. If freshmen play and lose dissent is a likely outcome. Losing leads to finger pointing.

He is but he can come back. My ideal transfer if he does come back.

I haven't seen him pop up on any draft boards as of yet. Certainly would be as good as you could get. That said I'm guessing competition would be fierce if he went portal if he decides to return to college.

Bunch/Taylor about 20 minutes each?
As of today and subject to change based on transfers in/out. But I think it has potential.

Mintz/Sy/Q
Joe/Mintz/Taylor
Bunch/Taylor
Benny/Brown/JBA
Jesse/TBD/Carey

With Cole instead of Bunch, I would have agreed. I just think we need a quality forward. A better back up 5 as well.

Yep. Otherwise it's putting a whole lot on how much of a jump Benny makes. Let's say he makes a jump but not yet to the point of growing into expectations. Then we really have issues. That veteran forward becomes an even bigger factor then.

I have high hopes he can do it but I think there is too much just penciling in that he will right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom