Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Yup and 6-6 at guard

I do think our upside defensively this year is only ‘average’ and maybe more likely below average. But I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by the improved rebounding that may more than compensate for the worse ‘D’. I compare it to 2003 where are defense was pretty mediocre (sometimes worse) but they made up for it with rebounding being a strength (rare for us) because of the great size that team had at every position except GMAC (JG3).

Obviously 2003 had one of the best offenses we ever had, but this year has a chance to be a top 10 all time offense too I think (for different reasons than 2003 obviously)

2003 had cleanup guys too. Both McNeil and Warrick could offset mediocre to poor D blocking shots, rebounding and simply deterring shots too.

We saw this with Jesse late last year. It's far more difficult to shoot over and pass around 6-11 with a 7-5 wingspan. Especially as his positioning improved.

Benny may not be known as a rebounder but kind of like with Hak- use your athleticism and length and just go up and get it.

Yup and 6-6 at guard

I do think our upside defensively this year is only ‘average’ and maybe more likely below average. But I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by the improved rebounding that may more than compensate for the worse ‘D’. I compare it to 2003 where are defense was pretty mediocre (sometimes worse) but they made up for it with rebounding being a strength (rare for us) because of the great size that team had at every position except GMAC (JG3).

Obviously 2003 had one of the best offenses we ever had, but this year has a chance to be a top 10 all time offense too I think (for different reasons than 2003 obviously)

General20 said Benny Williams can shoot extremely well from 3. If that shooting skill translates to the ACC, we will have lineup where Joe Girard is the fourth best three point shooter on the court most of the game... And we'll be playing a two forward lineup bigger than most of our opposition. This team can be really good next year.

General20 said Benny Williams can shoot extremely well from 3. If that shooting skill translates to the ACC, we will have lineup where Joe Girard is the fourth best three point shooter on the court most of the game... And we'll be playing a two forward lineup bigger than most of our opposition. This team can be really good next year.

Swider and Benny will start, and Jimmy is the only other forward on the roster.
We are really thin this year.

3 G, 3 F, 3 C

Ajak can back up C & F. Not sure about Chaz's slot.

I think Chaz is a 3/2 wing kinda guy.

Hopefully only a “break glass in case of emergency” sorta option, but it’s nice to at least have a dude available for that.

Will be ‘interesting’ (and possibly a little terrifying) to see which one of Jesse/Frank/JBA would be our emergency 4, should we ever need such a thing.

Absolutely, I think there will be times when we have to see them on the court together.
Possible, but unlikely. JB is more likely to go small by sliding BB to 3 and bringing in Sym.

Possible, but unlikely. JB is more likely to go small by sliding BB to 3 and bringing in Sym.
Probably depends on the opponent. I think, with a lead, we could plug Frank in at the 4 for defense and rebounding.

Probably depends on the opponent. I think, with a lead, we could plug Frank in at the 4 for defense and rebounding.
Good point. We haven't really seen Frank perform at this level, so it's harder for me to project meaningful minutes for him other than at the 5 when JE inevitably is in foul trouble. If he can't effectively contribute in that capacity, JB will go small first, IMO.

Good point. We haven't really seen Frank perform at this level, so it's harder for me to project meaningful minutes for him other than at the 5 when JE inevitably is in foul trouble. If he can't effectively contribute in that capacity, JB will go small first, IMO.
Totally understand that. I think Frank is going to make a leap this year. I think that the coaches saw something early last season. That's why he was the first center off the bench, I believe, in the first game.

I don't know anything other than highlights and the staff saying he was the most athletic big in a very long time.

Totally understand that. I think Frank is going to make a leap this year. I think that the coaches saw something early last season. That's why he was the first center off the bench, I believe, in the first game.
That would be huge for this team. BTW and FWIW, I was high on Frank coming in last season. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the floor for extended minutes this season.

Forward is far less of a concern than how thin we are at guard. That is where my concern is if someone goes down.

Same thing is true for both (actually all 4) guard and forward positions.

One injury at guard or forward and we have no D-1 guy to bring off the bench.

Swider and Benny will start, and Jimmy is the only other forward on the roster.
We are really thin this year.

My team is on the floor!

I think before the school year starts we pick up two more kids for depth... A late blooming freshman program type and a transfer. With the lack of scouting the last year, I think the coaching staff are going to see something they like and take a depth pick with upside. They'll also get a transfer that can give good minutes if necessary, but won't hurt chemistry demanding more time. A lot of kids are in the portal that want to be starters today, but by the time August comes around they'll be happy to still be Division 1, no matter the playing time situation.

That is our deep depth and the guys that make sure we can practice five on five even if we get some injuries.

Last edited:
Same thing is true for both (actually all 4) guard and forward positions.

One injury at guard or forward and we have no D-1 guy to bring off the bench.

We always go through these doomsday scenarios. Find me a kid who wants to be the 4th guard or 4th forward in today's environment that also meets the level of player you expect to put on the court.

That 4th Forward is either Frank or JBA right now. 4th guard is Chaz for the moment.

I'm not saying it's what we want but it's also not exactly easy to find guys who are good players willing to hang out for that role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom