Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Cole is a big kid that can bang, we have all begged for more meat at the #4 and especially at the #5. Well Cole won’t play the #5, he will eat space on the floor as a #4.
I saw this apparently very early photo of Karim and had to step back a moment.
I had forgotten just how slim Karim was at UCLA and during his early NBA days.
I’m not suggesting this is a good sign for our fortunes at the #5 this year, but it does say you can be very effective without bulging muscles.
Of course Karim had skills that few will ever be privy too. Also, the game is now played by larger much more physical young men, so the time shift has obviously changed the college game significantly from Karim’s era. Add the 3 point line and Karim’s early career era is dramatically changed from what we have now.
Yet, I will try to hang onto the hope that a 3 headed #5 (15 fouls) can be very imposing, muscles or not.
Time will tell

Kareem

When has he ever banged down low?
Michael Scott GIF by Giphy QA

Hey if it keeps the wings back more and not out of position I’m all for it
The wings aren’t out of position: they are taking away 3 point shots. The zone is a flexible 4-1

The wings aren’t out of position: they are taking away 3 point shots. The zone is a flexible 4-1
When the forwards are up past the 3 pt line it creates unbalanced coverage. So yes I think it’s entirely a valid angle to say they are out of position trying to compensate.

When has he ever banged down low?
Per the below scoting report.
"...he can hit the mid-range shot, attack off the dribble and finish around the rim"
"As a rebounder, Swider is not afraid to mix it up inside."
6'-9" approximately 220, I'd say he can bang if put in that position.

SCOUTING REPORT
Cole Swider is an elite shooter, but he is not just that. Swider was a prolific three point shooter in high school and that translated to his time at Villanova. He shot over 40% from the outside last season. Swider, however, has other elements to his game. He can hit the mid-range shot, attack off the dribble and finish around the rim.
Swider has added 15 pounds of muscle to his frame with the Wildcats and is up to 225-pounds. That allows him to be physical inside, play in the post at times and also score through contact. His body type and strength could allow him to play in the middle of the zone if Syracuse elects to go small at times. Similar to how the Orange used Tyler Lydon. Swider has a better handle than most would think and is also a solid passing forward.
As a rebounder, Swider is not afraid to mix it up inside. He shows solid rebounding instincts, so his numbers on the boards should improve with a more consistent role. On a per 40 minutes basis, Swider averaged 12.9 points and six rebounds per game.

RELATED: COLE SWIDER DISCUSSES SYRACUSE COMMITMENT
ROLE

Swider is expected to be a combo forward for Syracuse. He will play the majority of his minutes at the three, or small forward, position, but has the ability to play the four as well depending on how Syracuse changes its lineup. The difference between and three and a four is not substantial at Syracuse from a defensive standpoint.
Offensively, Syracuse will run plays to get Swider open looks from the outside. Similar to how it did for players such as Elijah Hughes, Tyler Lydon, etc. In addition, Swider will have the ball in his hands and take defenders off the dribble. His skill set and versatility allows the Orange to do a lot of things with the rotation.
BOTTOM LINE
Cole Swider is a very talented basketball player. He was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole at Villanova and yet was still productive. He comes to Syracuse where the system should be a better fit for his abilities, and that provides the potential for significant production. Syracuse is better with Cole Swider on the roster.

By
Mike McAllister

Filipowski

Last edited:
Per the below scoting report.
"...he can hit the mid-range shot, attack off the dribble and finish around the rim"
"As a rebounder, Swider is not afraid to mix it up inside."
6'-9" approximately 220, I'd say he can bang if put in that position.

SCOUTING REPORT
Cole Swider is an elite shooter, but he is not just that. Swider was a prolific three point shooter in high school and that translated to his time at Villanova. He shot over 40% from the outside last season. Swider, however, has other elements to his game. He can hit the mid-range shot, attack off the dribble and finish around the rim.
Swider has added 15 pounds of muscle to his frame with the Wildcats and is up to 225-pounds. That allows him to be physical inside, play in the post at times and also score through contact. His body type and strength could allow him to play in the middle of the zone if Syracuse elects to go small at times. Similar to how the Orange used Tyler Lydon. Swider has a better handle than most would think and is also a solid passing forward.
As a rebounder, Swider is not afraid to mix it up inside. He shows solid rebounding instincts, so his numbers on the boards should improve with a more consistent role. On a per 40 minutes basis, Swider averaged 12.9 points and six rebounds per game.

RELATED: COLE SWIDER DISCUSSES SYRACUSE COMMITMENT
ROLE

Swider is expected to be a combo forward for Syracuse. He will play the majority of his minutes at the three, or small forward, position, but has the ability to play the four as well depending on how Syracuse changes its lineup. The difference between and three and a four is not substantial at Syracuse from a defensive standpoint.
Offensively, Syracuse will run plays to get Swider open looks from the outside. Similar to how it did for players such as Elijah Hughes, Tyler Lydon, etc. In addition, Swider will have the ball in his hands and take defenders off the dribble. His skill set and versatility allows the Orange to do a lot of things with the rotation.
BOTTOM LINE
Cole Swider is a very talented basketball player. He was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole at Villanova and yet was still productive. He comes to Syracuse where the system should be a better fit for his abilities, and that provides the potential for significant production. Syracuse is better with Cole Swider on the roster.

By
Mike McAllister

Filipowski

Yet nothing in his numbers show anything like that and frankly the opposite of that.

Yet nothing in his numbers show anything like that and frankly the opposite of that.
He has always been used as a secondary option at Villanova. He will not be used that way at SU. He has the skills to put up some big numbers at SU. SU’s system is perfect for his skill set. Let’s hope it works out well for him at SU.

When the forwards are up past the 3 pt line it creates unbalanced coverage. So yes I think it’s entirely a valid angle to say they are out of position trying to compensate.

its not a valid angle. We have tweaked the zone to be a 4-1 look at times. So nobody is out of position if it’s a 4-1. We do it based on a couple things. Who we are playing and what their offense is. If they are a 3 pt shooting team with multiple shooters, you’ll see is push up. If they are a pound it inside team not so much. But, it also greatly depends on our center. The 1. If it is someone who can get to the corner then 4-1 is more likely. If not, you won’t see it as much. JB doesn’t ask guys to cover the corners if they physically can’t. We’ve had more athletic centers in the past few years who can get there so we’ve seen more 4-1. You won’t see the 4-1 when we have a guy who can’t get there. So nobody is out of position.

its not a valid angle. We have tweaked the zone to be a 4-1 look at times. So nobody is out of position if it’s a 4-1. We do it based on a couple things. Who we are playing and what their offense is. If they are a 3 pt shooting team with multiple shooters, you’ll see is push up. If they are a pound it inside team not so much. But, it also greatly depends on our center. The 1. If it is someone who can get to the corner then 4-1 is more likely. If not, you won’t see it as much. JB doesn’t ask guys to cover the corners if they physically can’t. We’ve had more athletic centers in the past few years who can get there so we’ve seen more 4-1. You won’t see the 4-1 when we have a guy who can’t get there. So nobody is out of position.
The rotations, in fact, are always based on 2-3 concepts. I have heard JB speak on this in person and I have used the same principles when I coached. JB's version of the 2-3 is conceptually a match up zone, but the rotations on ball movement are 2-3. The forwards have tremendous coverage responsibilities depending on how the offense is aligned and what JB is trying to take away.

It will look like a 4-1 at times because the forwards play so high and out well past the 3 line. But, and this is a big but, if it looks like a 4-1 for more than a second or 2 it's because the weakside forward has not rotated down and back correctly. The only time they might stay in a 4-1 look is when the ball is on the deep wing and they are matching up with an elite shooter on the weakside.

Cole is a big kid that can bang, we have all begged for more meat at the #4 and especially at the #5. Well Cole won’t play the #5, he will eat space on the floor as a #4.
I saw this apparently very early photo of Karim and had to step back a moment.
I had forgotten just how slim Karim was at UCLA and during his early NBA days.
I’m not suggesting this is a good sign for our fortunes at the #5 this year, but it does say you can be very effective without bulging muscles.
Of course Karim had skills that few will ever be privy too. Also, the game is now played by larger much more physical young men, so the time shift has obviously changed the college game significantly from Karim’s era. Add the 3 point line and Karim’s early career era is dramatically changed from what we have now.
Yet, I will try to hang onto the hope that a 3 headed #5 (15 fouls) can be very imposing, muscles or not.
Time will tell
Karim lol

Buddy is a great player who I can see getting minutes for an NBA team.
I think this post is funny because 1 - it's probably true, 2 - Buddy is the least "athletic" player on the team. The NBA is full of Uber athletes - it shows you how valuable shooting can be I guess.

I think this post is funny because 1 - it's probably true, 2 - Buddy is the least "athletic" player on the team. The NBA is full of Uber athletes - it shows you how valuable shooting can be I guess.
Kyle Korver played for 16 years in the NBA. Check out the ups.

I always thought D Nick could've had a decent career because of his shooting, and he seems pretty together in his life. Tough league however..
Yeah, he was one of those hundreds of players that could have carved out a career in the NBA, but things never aligned for him.

Karim lol

Now you get to place a gold star on your refrigerator, you must be very proud !
Of course perfect people live a difficult life, being perfect is a burden of monumental proportion.
Hahahahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom