Coleman in the Big Mac | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coleman in the Big Mac

Coleman would have been a monster in the Big East.

However, I'm not sure the ACC takes kindly to those big bruiser-types, especially vs. Duke and UNC.
I'm not sure Coleman is a "big-briuser type." He's big. Probably isn't going to be afraid of contact, but I think he has a lot of finesse in his game. I'm thinking a little bigger (not much) Sean May type who did quite well in the ACC.

The great thing about DaJuan Coleman for SU is that he's been a huge guy for 3-4 years already. So he's had his entire high school basketball & AAU career to work gain experience as a big man. Meaning he comes to SU as a pretty polished basketball player already, who knows the game, positioning down low, has played against the best, and has won 3 state championships already. He is well ahead of many of his big man peers in this regard...he will arrive at Syracuse as a player, instead of a potential player.

Often with big men right out of high school, they are still acclimating to their size & how they need to play down low. Guys like Isaiah Austin, who almost thinks he's a guard instead of a 7 foot tall center & needs to be more willing to stay down low, Kaleb Tarczewski needs to hit the weightroom and get better develop on offense, Grant Jerrett has been called a "late bloomer" who needs to add muscle & gain experience, Cameron Ridley is known as a "mostly upside player right now, and scouts may have to temper expectations for the time being", Steven Adams doesn't have much experience playing good comp, and does not have a very developed post game yet, Brandon Ashley needs better footwork and physical play down low, Willie Cauley is raw offensively and needs to add strenght to bang in post, ect.

To me, the only guys in the 2012 class (that are on Coleman's level athletically) that are more "finished product" than "great potential" are Anthony Bennett and Tony Parker.

I mean, it's great to get guys that are ranked in ESPN's top 10 recruits and all, but many of these centers and power forwards are ranked highly more on potential than actual production. And by the time they are ready to fully contribute to their college team, sometimes they do so for a year then leave.

After having to develop Fab & Christmas these past few years, it will be refreshing to have a guy like Coleman come in and be able to contribute from day one.

I don't think you see DJC at forward because there is no way he can get out on the wing to cover the 3 pt shot and still get back to cover the post. If anything, Rak or BMK will move to forward and play like Rick Jackson did when AO was at C.

I can't agree with you on "Leadership." Where have you seen that any of those guys can be leaders? They all seem to be very quiet. What leadership qualities have any of them shown?
MCW is a natural. Even on the bench, he was already a vocal leader.

I think we can all agree that MCW is going to wind up being a Syracuse legend, and I say that in complete seriousness.

Great post. I think we might have a few guys that fit your description coming back next year.
I think BT is too wrapped up in his own head to provide much leadership. If he continues to brood when things don't go his way, he won't be much help in that department. Still, he may step up if he realizes someone has to.

I think we can all agree that MCW is going to wind up being a Syracuse legend, and I say that in complete seriousness.

I agree, i just afraid he has a great year and goes pro, its not that crazy to think he can

I agree, i just afraid he has a great year and goes pro, its not that crazy to think he can
Oh I know that he can, he's a 6-5 point guard with uncanny court vision who even Gottlieb refers to as a future NBA player.

I can see him blowing up next year (say, 12 ppg, 7 apg, 35% 3pt) and going pro with his buddy Nerlens.

UNC

I know--but May played against Duke, and was an impact player in the ACC.

That's the guy Coleman reminds me most of [and has all along]. If he ends up having half as successful of a college career, he'll be a very good player for us.

I think BT is too wrapped up in his own head to provide much leadership. If he continues to brood when things don't go his way, he won't be much help in that department. Still, he may step up if he realizes someone has to.
Triche seems to beat himself up a bit at times, but I wouldn't call it brooding. His facial expressions (or lack of expression) seem to be a function of his stoic personality. No matter how things are going for him on the court, he always seems to play hard and keep his head in the game.

In contrast to that are players who react to a bad call or non-call by jawing to the officials and failing to get back defensively, or players who celebrate a good play with the clock running and miss an assignment. I'll take the Triche-type player any day of the week.

Anybody get a chance to verify his height, if he is 6'8" he is here for 3 years minimum, if he is 6'10" it will be two years maximum.

I think there will be a real benefit this year for Triche and MCW to be able to play through their mistakes. They can be confident they will have the chance to make a play on the other end when they throw a bad pass or miss a defensive assignment. Having a guy like DC2 will help take some of the pressure off as well as they can feed the post with the expectation they might get a pass back or they can watch the bigs go to work. In many ways this year our guards had a ton of pressure on them to make things happen all game. They seemed to cherish the opportunity but when guys like CJ and James had good games you could see how that released the pressure a bit on the guards and they were even more productive. In addition the spacing this year should be better considering teams may need to double DC2 or even Fair if he continues to progress and becomes a guy you cannot play 1 on 1.

A junior mcw with cooney and a senior fair junior rak and sophomore coleman? Holy ****
Yeah, it feels almost taboo after a 34-3 season to talk about the potential of not next year's team ... but the following year's team ... but I have no shame in exposing my thick and hairy fanhood to hang out there in anticipation of an orgasmic 2013/2014 season.

And I think in his sophomore year Grant will start to be a factor.

I agree, and solely on his personality traits. He doesn't have that Dion/Jonny/Devo moxie that seems almost necessary for freshman to make an immediate impact... but by his 2nd year he will be comfortable enough to break out.

Anybody get a chance to verify his height, if he is 6'8" he is here for 3 years minimum, if he is 6'10" it will be two years maximum.
He's 6'8 without shoes
Also - DeJuan Blair is about 6'6 without shoes

We have all the pieces for a prototypical "great" team next year (didn't have it this year):
Playmaking, pass 1st PG (MCW)
Sharpshooter (Cooney)
Leadership (Triche/Fair/Southerland)
A guy who finishes around the basket and has a midrange game (Fair)
A legit low post presence (DC2)
Scorers off the bench (Cooney, Southerland)
Size off the bench (Keita, Rak)
A good mix of veterans and youngsters
A handful of jumpshooters (Southerland, Cooney, Triche, MCW, Fair)
Penetrators (Triche, MCW)
Great defensively

Sorry, but there are some holes there if we are to compete for the NC.

No proven PG. BT has always been tentative and inconsistent, and MCW is simply unproven in any big-game situation. That is why he didn't play down the stretch.

No proven "go to" guy that you can clear out and let him go one-on-one with 10 seconds left on the clock.

No proven inside threat. To call DC2 "legit" at this stage is a stretch.

Even those you have labeled as "jumpshooters" are inconsistent at best, completely unproven at worst.

I hope the guys you mention can fill these roles. But the more holes you have to fill, the less chance that they get filled.

We will be good to very good, but I don't think that roster as is can compete for an NC. I can see us as a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 type of team.

Add Noel, and that may be a different story.

Sorry, but there are some holes there if we are to compete for the NC.

No proven PG. BT has always been tentative and inconsistent, and MCW is simply unproven in any big-game situation. That is why he didn't play down the stretch.

No proven "go to" guy that you can clear out and let him go one-on-one with 10 seconds left on the clock.

No proven inside threat. To call DC2 "legit" at this stage is a stretch.

Even those you have labeled as "jumpshooters" are inconsistent at best, completely unproven at worst.

I hope the guys you mention can fill these roles. But the more holes you have to fill, the less chance that they get filled.

We will be good to very good, but I don't think that roster as is can compete for an NC. I can see us as a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 type of team.

Add Noel, and that may be a different story.
so what jdubs says about the team is unproven and a stretch but if we get Noel(an uknown) we are a final 4 team?

1. I fully want MCW to have a great year and go pro. No reason to downplay his stats to water a second year.
Just let the guy run rampant like Waiters and Flynn. If you got it let it all out.

2. Dajuan has a great dribble to mix with his massive body for someone his size.
No need to initiate charge contact before the dribble when you can seal with a body like his off the dribble.

3. Part of the reason the ACC grabbed Syracuse and Pitt was because of their style of play.
Then let us play our zone as we always have, and let Pitt bring some toughness in the paint.
Bringing different styles to ACC ball will help their excitement factor and marketing in the long run. If everyone plays like Duke or UNC they will remain the 4th best conference due to boredom.

4. This team has what it takes to be a national championship offense.
Isolation ball will be our biggest challenge we lose all three of our iso players.
I believe MCW leading the way will add so much flare and either he will get the assists or someone else will because of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom