Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Coleman

The power is out in dajuan colemanville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange. I thought he was awful a couple weeks ago, but that tonight he was good. He has really improved his shot to the point where it is a legit basketball shot that has chance to go in, not these ricochet deals off the backboard. Anyway, I thought he showed substantial improvement tonight.

He looks better to me. Had decent rebound numbers. As Boeheim said in the post game, we don't have a big man that can post up and won't this season. I thought that was a telling statement. Frustrating but that is the way it is...

He looks better to me. Had decent rebound numbers. As Boeheim said in the post game, we don't have a big man that can post up and won't this season. I thought that was a telling statement. Frustrating but that is the way it is...
JB understands and accepts things the way they are much better than people on this board.

why is it that most every other team we play has a guy or two that they feed the post to, more frequently than we do? i know rak and dc2 arent proven back to the basket guys but i cant see this team progressing without trying to force the post game until it improves.. thats just my humble opinion.. without consistant shooting, dominant defense or good ball handling.. how are we beating any decent team without a presence down there or at least an effort to have a presence? at the beginning of the year there were two things that stood out as possible improvements from last yr to this year; inside scoring and outside shooting- without one getting going i think this year turns into the biggest struggle in a while.. i hope i am wrong.. it just seems like that switch of smart basketball play turned off.. with little sign of a possible return

We didn't have one last year either. As long as the big guys play good D, get rebounds and make layups, I'll be fine.

We didn't have one last year either. As long as the big guys play good D, get rebounds and make layups, I'll be fine.
But we had the pick and roll lob to Fab in our arsenal. Why not try that with Roc?

DC2 will always be limited because he cannot play above the rim. While he has the wide body to establish position, he shoots from a low position and taller, albeit perhaps "less talented", centers can alter or block his shot with just good arms up defense or jump and block him too many times. Starting with the ball down also gets it stripped too much.

He is AO-light under the tin. Maybe from the high-post he can do better.

We didn't have one last year--but compensated by generating turnovers at an amazing clip and turning those into transition scoring opportunities that offset our lack of low post game.

Not the case this year.

Yeah, it sucks we dont have a low post scorer. Im more concerned with our lack of a legit shot blocker. I would argue that is more important of a cog to have in fielding a successful Boeheim team than a low post scorer.

Shot blockers are such a huge key to the zone being successful against real teams. It also sets up the offense for fast break points.

We didn't have one last year--but compensated by generating turnovers at an amazing clip and turning those into transition scoring opportunities that offset our lack of low post game.

Not the case this year.

good post - thats what concerns me a lot.. earlier this year- use of the pass and turnover creation on d was making up for that- now those two things have dissapeared .. or they arent being utilized efficiently when available- even then it still puts this years team several steps behind last years vs having advantages in inside scoring.

DC2 will always be limited because he cannot play above the rim. While he has the wide body to establish position, he shoots from a low position and taller, albeit perhaps "less talented", centers can alter or block his shot with just good arms up defense or jump and block him too many times. Starting with the ball down also gets it stripped too much.

Why, in light of these observations which should not be new, was/is Coleman considered such a high prospect? If opposing centers of lesser talent can block/alter his shot, is he considered an offenesive "power" house? Many here were predicting very high things of DC2 and they have not appeared even against lesser teams.

Boeheim addressed the teams lack of a post up player. Said it won't happen this season. He sounded rather definitive on the subject. The team tries to get it to the big men but in situations where they can just turn and dunk it or hit a short face up. If Rak or Coleman post up 12 to 15 ft. from the basket they never get an entry pass. Probably because it won't lead to good results and the guards know that.

Think you hit the nail on the head. Def needs to continue to get in better shape and increase legs/vertical. He looks to have the beginning of 15' and in type of game. For him to make it at the next level he is going to have to work on his agility and vertical. It would be a huge mistake for him or Rak to try to make the leap this year as far as they have shown at this point in the season, but I will not pretend to know what is going on in an 18 year old's head. Heck, I'm 33 and don't know whats going on in my head half the time. ;)

I still think the high-low with DC and Rak could be a real weapon for us, hopefully this year.
Problem is we don't focus on feeding the post. I would have liked to have seen and think it would have been extremely beneficial to feed the big fella's more during the OCC. They can't develop if you don't feed them. Even the last two years when we had the teams to play the high low we didn't use it nearly enough.

Nah. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing below the rim. These types of players are clearly different than rim rocking skywalkers, but they can be equally as effective. To call them limited would be an inaccurate characterization. The key to doing it effectively is how the player uses their body to initiate contact, lean on defenders to overpower them down low, create space to get their shots off uncontested, etc.

Coleman definitely has the body to excel in the low box, but thus far he hasn't done a good job of getting his body on people to carve out space and keep defenders on the ground when he goes up for shots. He'll learn.

I still think the high-low with DC and Rak could be a real weapon for us, hopefully this year.

I like the fact that Coleman seems to have the green light on that 16-footer (and keeps trying it). It's bound to go in, and it's going to free up the high-low.

Good things will happen if that happens, though it seems likely that we'll go with the two smaller forwards for long stretches as the season goes on.

Nah. There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing below the rim. These types of players are clearly different than rim rocking skywalkers, but they can be equally as effective. To call them limited would be an inaccurate characterization. The key to doing it effectively is how the player uses their body to initiate contact, lean on defenders to overpower them down low, create space to get their shots off uncontested, etc.

I think limited is fair though. You're right there are ways to compensate for that; but all the things that you point out that Coleman can learn can also be learned by someone who has the ability to play above the rim. The reverse is not true.

(Calling him limited may sound worse than it's meant though; Jared Sullinger was limited in the same way and he was only an All-American)

Yeah, it sucks we dont have a low post scorer. Im more concerned with our lack of a legit shot blocker. I would argue that is more important of a cog to have in fielding a successful Boeheim team than a low post scorer.

Shot blockers are such a huge key to the zone being successful against real teams. It also sets up the offense for fast break points.

We're blocking a ton of shots though. Coming into the day we were third in the country in block%. Rak is 14th in the country in block%. He's not playing a ton of minutes but when he does, he's blocking shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom