Colgate. Colgate? Seriously…Colgate. Hmmmm. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate. Colgate? Seriously…Colgate. Hmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he meant a team that shoots that many, has multiple players that can make them and passes so well. He didn’t say best either.
I thought that was supposed to be us...

Colgate’s no slouch. They were up 1 on NC State down there with 1 minute to go. They’ve been the best Patriot League team for 3 seasons. T?hey felt they were primed to win at the dome the last couple of seasons but didn’t. They are a tourney team.
What are we? Guess we are not a tourney team

Unbelievably, FWIW, Colgate was not even picked in the Patriot League preseason coaches poll to win the conference. Boston University was picked preseason #1. Chew on that for awhile. Colgate isn't even thought to be the best in in its conference by its own coaches. And Boeheim is anointing them as some super power. Excuses.

Just got home, can anybody tell me how Syracuse Athletics fared today?

1637504356346.gif

What are we? Guess we are not a tourney team
Seriously, after 3 games? Talk to me in January. While I appreciate that it’s really us we should be worried about and not the opponent, maybe because I’m older, wiser, and more patient, but w t f losses in November don’t bother me as much anymore.
Whenever I coach teams or individuals, i look for trends and whether they’re performing to the best of their ability. If they are, then there’s not much else to do. If they’re not, then how can i help them get better. Period.
This team has plenty of room to get better. And this certainly ain’t JB’s first rodeo. Long way to go & i expect we’ll be just fine.

Last edited:
Seriously, after 3 games? Talk to me in January. While o appreciate that it’s really us we should be worried about and not the opponent, maybe because I’m older, wiser, and more patient, but w t f losses in November don’t bother me as much anymore.
Whenever I coach teams or individuals, i look for trends and whether they’re performing to the best of their ability. If they are, then there’s not much else to do. If they’re not, then how can i help them get better. Period.
This team has plenty of room to get better. And this certainly ain’t JB’s first rodeo. Long way to go & i expect we’ll be Judy fine.
My issue, outside of the obvious being a loss to colgate who scored 100 (lol), we know the schedule will be tough. Opportunities for good overall “calibration checks” and quality wins sure, but when you expect to have a few non-conf losses because of the schedule ie next week, it’s tough adding one in like yesterday.

I haven't been able to read all of the posts, but has anyone mentioned the shocking 2009 pre-season loss to Division II LeMoyne in an exhibition game? This was one of the last times I can recall us playing M-2-M defense an entire game.
The team went on the finish 1st in the BE and garnered a #1 seed (West) in the NCAA tournament.

My issue, outside of the obvious being a loss to colgate who scored 100 (lol), we know the schedule will be tough. Opportunities for good overall “calibration checks” and quality wins sure, but when you expect to have a few non-conf losses because of the schedule ie next week, it’s tough adding one in like yesterday.
Honestly we’ll get a much better read on where we are after Atlantis. W t f losses are just that…w t f?!
As i stated in the OP, if this is the beginning of an ominous trend, then we’ll find out soon enough. But even then, success in this sport is governed by how you perform in March. We need to do enough to get in the Dance & go from there. Anything else is just white noise. JMHO

That’s where I am. The schedule is difficult enough without losing to Colgate.

So many choices of where to post this morning. I was somewhere between shocked and frustrated to see Syracuse manhandled by Colgate yesterday and decided to just turn my computer off for the evening. As I watched movies and drank wine, the game kept creeping back into my head - How? Why? Did it really happen? I finally settled on Superman and kryptonite as the best comparison to what happened. We just totally folded and could not muster up a single strength (though Joe G tried his best). Colgate was Syracuse's kryptonite. Then this morning I had one more additional thought, a better analogy would be "Casey at the Bat" by Ernest Thayer. I always loved and could recite the final verse. It is what best sums up yesterday's disaster.

"Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
but there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out."

I totally subscribe to what the Capt said earlier ...we got out played, out worked, out coached.

At least for me, I have to move on. Anymore time analyzing yesterday's defeat is too painful. LET'S GO ORANGE! Take no prisoners in Atlantis!

Gate isn't even the best team in the Pat League. Boston U. was picked #1 in the preseason coaches poll (albeit by 1 point). BU lost last night to FSU by 1 point in overtime in Tally. BU was down 8 with 2 minutes left and hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to go to OT.

Colgate lost to UVM by 10 today. UVM limited them to 6-20 from three.

Still a terrible loss for us.

It’s gonna be a bad lose all season. But I’m sure you’ve seen that many good teams have been having bad loses.

Colgate lost to UVM by 10 today. UVM limited them to 6-20 from three.

Still a terrible loss for us.
Will always be a terrible loss, regardless of how it's sliced or diced.
However I will say that Colgate has been w/o their best player, Cummings, for the last couple weeks

Will always be a terrible loss, regardless of how it's sliced or diced.
However I will say that Colgate has been w/o their best player, Cummings, for the last couple weeks
I figured they’d win at least one of their last four non-conference games. They wound up not having Cummings for three of them.

Colgate lost to Lehigh tonight. Both teams are 4-10. That loss continues to linger and sting us.

Teams that can shoot and pass will always have a chance to beat the zone. Don’t even need to be able to dribble. The zone is the great equalizer for less skilled teams.

This somehow makes you feel better?
I mean the Colgate loss continues to linger and sting us. I was hoping that somehow Colgate would be good and that loss would have less of an impact but Colgate doesn't look to be any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom