Colgate Post-Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Post-Game

65-0 and it could have been plenty more.

I think every position group on this team is Top 25 level, with the possible exception of QB. And hear me out on that.

Yes, Shrader extends plays. Yes, he throws a decent deep ball. But he has ZERO velocity on his throws. Some of those quick outs take forever to progress due to his lack of arm strength, and will absolutely not work against better opponents. He also missed a bunch of easy check downs today.

I am hoping I am crazy, but what I saw today was very worrisome at the most important position on the field.

Lots of new pieces on the OLINE, it will be MUCH better
The defense has a TON of depth, front 7 is scary good
Shrader was rusty, give him time off-season surgery is a big deal
RB depth looks amazing
WRs looked great blocking today
Special teams will be special this year

65-0 is impressive should have been more

Do we need to clean up stuff of course we do this is week one

Enjoy the win folks...cheers

Can you explain?
There are definitely bright spots, don't want to be overly pessimistic. Defense looks legit with significant depth across the front seven and lots of promising young players. Allen is definitely an exciting player with a lot of upside and we have a serious group of receivers this year. Also Reed was really impressive and is going to be key going forward.

List of concerns with the offensive line and quarterback play is long. 4 ol were not dressed for the game, 2 of them on the 2-deep... how does that happen? This is a pettern now...really bewildering and concerning. Bleich is still wildly inconsistent and the right side of the line struggled early in pass protection and if their play in the run game continues at a similar level, it's going to be a long season. I love Shrader's competitiveness and his feel in the pocket and ability to create with his legs are truly special. But it's so frustrating to watch him repeat the same bad habits. This is the game to stay on your 1st read and focus on the fundamentals of dropping back, setting your feet and delivering the ball on time and in rhythm. Instead, he continues to come off his read, sometimes he would flippantly look to his second but it was clear his security blanket was Gadsden, and even then, what he's really comfortable doing is running the ball. You could literally pick any receiver today before the snap, check the safety and throw the ball to leverage and it would have been a good day. Then throw in things like the throw on the pick (speechless!), consistently showing a lack of understanding velocity (I refuse to accept the narrative that this is an ability limitation with Shrader, with Dungey I think they was some credence to that argument, Shrader has shown he can throw the ball hard, he just clearly doesn't like to), and just not making automatic easy throws (when the post safety is isolated and let's the receiver cross his face this is an automatic throw). The talent disparity was such today that it didn't matter, but I have a hard time believing any of that is going to fly against opponents where we are more evenly matched.

Maybe I'm being overly critical or getting hung up on little details that don't matter against a clearly outmatched opponent. Maybe it is just rust from a subdued training camp for a veteran player recovering from injury. We did win 65-0 after all, can't ignore that.

There are definitely bright spots, don't want to be overly pessimistic. Defense looks legit with significant depth across the front seven and lots of promising young players. Allen is definitely an exciting player with a lot of upside and we have a serious group of receivers this year. Also Reed was really impressive and is going to be key going forward.

List of concerns with the offensive line and quarterback play is long. 4 ol were not dressed for the game, 2 of them on the 2-deep... how does that happen? This is a pettern now...really bewildering and concerning. Bleich is still wildly inconsistent and the right side of the line struggled early in pass protection and if their play in the run game continues at a similar level, it's going to be a long season. I love Shrader's competitiveness and his feel in the pocket and ability to create with his legs are truly special. But it's so frustrating to watch him repeat the same bad habits. This is the game to stay on your 1st read and focus on the fundamentals of dropping back, setting your feet and delivering the ball on time and in rhythm. Instead, he continues to come off his read, sometimes he would flippantly look to his second but it was clear his security blanket was Gadsden, and even then, what he's really comfortable doing is running the ball. You could literally pick any receiver today before the snap, check the safety and throw the ball to leverage and it would have been a good day. Then throw in things like the throw on the pick (speechless!), consistently showing a lack of understanding velocity (I refuse to accept the narrative that this is an ability limitation with Shrader, with Dungey I think they was some credence to that argument, Shrader has shown he can throw the ball hard, he just clearly doesn't like to), and just not making automatic easy throws (when the post safety is isolated and let's the receiver cross his face this is an automatic throw). The talent disparity was such today that it didn't matter, but I have a hard time believing any of that is going to fly against opponents where we are more evenly matched.

Maybe I'm being overly critical or getting hung up on little details that don't matter against a clearly outmatched opponent. Maybe it is just rust from a subdued training camp for a veteran player recovering from injury. We did win 65-0 after all, can't ignore that.

Lean on a dominant D, stay healthy, better special teams play, don't turn it over and finally and most importantly get some solid OL play. I think our defense can win us some games so long as the other key parts are not handing out field position or turnovers.

Not trying to be overly simple minded either. It looks like we have a couple of solid options against teams that push on our OL with a good WR core and decent blocking on WR screens. The ball should get out sooner as a result. OL got better as game went on but is clearly the weak spot right now. Hoping to see improvement week over week and think we will. This looks the part a top 25 or better defense and can't understate how key that is.

Lean on a dominant D, stay healthy, better special teams play, don't turn it over and finally and most importantly get some solid OL play. I think our defense can win us some games so long as the other key parts are not handing out field position or turnovers.

Not trying to be overly simple minded either. It looks like we have a couple of solid options against teams that push on our OL with a good WR core and decent blocking on WR screens. The ball should get out sooner as a result. OL got better as game went on but is clearly the weak spot right now. Hoping to see improvement week over week and think we will. This looks the part a top 25 or better defense and can't understate how key that is.
I think the wide receiver group is significantly more talented than we realize.

Did Beck not call any designed runs for Shrader? He had some scrambles but trying to recall if that was it

65-0 and it could have been plenty more.

I think every position group on this team is Top 25 level, with the possible exception of QB. And hear me out on that.

Yes, Shrader extends plays. Yes, he throws a decent deep ball. But he has ZERO velocity on his throws. Some of those quick outs take forever to progress due to his lack of arm strength, and will absolutely not work against better opponents. He also missed a bunch of easy check downs today.

I am hoping I am crazy, but what I saw today was very worrisome at the most important position on the field.

He's coming off of surgery. Decent start. Not great, but he has more improvement to come.
Del Rio can fling it, too, and got about a full quarter today, put up great numbers 10-13.

He went through his progressions all game. I thought Shrader was great.

He was explicitly told to hand off in the read option game. He made one poor throw to Gadsen that should have been PI, and that pick was on Price, who ran the wrong route.

He’s not going to be the number 1 pick in the draft, but he’s a very effective collegiate QB who is probably under appreciated by this board.

He’s essentially the Scoop Jardine of a use QB’s to be honest.

As usual, good and not so good stuff in the first game. Two examples of what I liked.
On offense, we played with some tempo.
On defense, Clark was hitting people with nasty intentions.

As usual, good and not so good stuff in the first game. Two examples of what I liked.
On offense, we played with some tempo.
On defense, Clark was hitting people with nasty intentions.

To add on Clark- kid just looks like he is out there on the playground. Just having fun while being everywhere.

Didn’t get a chance to watch the post game presser, did Dino address More and Ellis being in boots?

Interesting that there were no passes to LaQuint Allen. Kept everything pretty vanilla. A lot of guys played in the secondary. This is by far the best depth Dino has had at SU. All three levels on defense has talent coming offf the bench. I thought Stephon Thompson looked a step slower. I’m sure he needs reps, but that’s a pretty good player coming off the bench. Everyone just looked like they knew what they were doing. Rocky is going to have a really good defense that will allow us to have a chance to be in every game.

I think the wide receiver group is significantly more talented than we realize.

I mentioned to my buddy during the game that the wide receivers look legit this year, and not just from a making plays standpoint, but an actual eye test perspective. These dudes are big, fast and athletic. Could pose a serious problem for opposing secondaries if they can put it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom