College Football Sim League | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

College Football Sim League

interesting... this may be easy for me to find, but when recruiting starts at noon tomorrow, how often do the cycles run? and how many cycles are there? i dont want to get caught sleeping on a few cycles and miss all the players i have targeted. I have 18 schollys open, so i have some filling to do.

The cycles run every three hours. I live in central time, so the cycles are: 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, 11pm, etc.

If you spend money on recruiting activities, you'll be updated the following cycle. You'll be able to see [1] if the players are leaning toward you [or others], and you'll get an e-mail response in your inbox that gives you a sense of what the recruits are thinking.

The emails from the players are standardized, but offer some clues about which direction players are leaning. A big part of recruiting is figuring out what they are saying and what it means.

another question... how do you set your depth chart? i know where the tab is for it, but is it the section down below the names where you can click and choose a guy at each position? and should you make sure every guy is listed down there?

or is that for specialized situations (ex 3rd downs, etc)

The cycles run every three hours. I live in central time, so the cycles are: 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, 11pm, etc.

If you spend money on recruiting activities, you'll be updated the following cycle. You'll be able to see [1] if the players are leaning toward you [or others], and you'll get an e-mail response in your inbox that gives you a sense of what the recruits are thinking.

The emails from the players are standardized, but offer some clues about which direction players are leaning. A big part of recruiting is figuring out what they are saying and what it means.

so 1, 4, 7, 10 pm in the East... and they run at 1 am and 4 am also? lol
how can i be up then.. HOW MANY TOTAL CYCLES

If I remember right, the first cycle doesnt run for 24 hours, correct? then its every 3?

another question... how do you set your depth chart? i know where the tab is for it, but is it the section down below the names where you can click and choose a guy at each position? and should you make sure every guy is listed down there?

or is that for specialized situations (ex 3rd downs, etc)

The depth chart is very important. It determines who starts [an important factor, because starters improve more and show better work ethic], and what the pecking order is in terms of what order they get into games when starters sub out.

Stamina is a factor in this game. Players with lower stamina tire faster and have to come out of the game. And depth is a factor; teams with more talented depth can outlast teams without the same depth.

The first step is to set the percentages that you want players at each position to come out of game. My recommendation is that you go 85% or higher. I have mine at 90%, but that's because I have a great system in place and lots of depth. Players' performance goes down when they get fatigued, so even if you have a stud their performance will get diminished if you play them when they are tired.

Sometimes, you might not have good depth at a position. If you only have 6 offensive linemen, then you need to set their percentage lower, so that those guys stay in the game. Otherwise, the game will swap in the "next" available guys to play OL--usually a defensive lineman who will have low blocking--and there is a position penalty for how those guys perform when they are forced to play out of position.

After you've set the percentages where they come out of the game, the next step is to go down and select the players from the drop down menus. This establishes the starters and sets the order that they will enter the game. For example, the player you list first at QB is your stater; the next guy is the backup, and so on.

When fatigued players come out of the game, they recuperate as a function of their stamina attribute scores. When they are replenished, they'll sub back into the game. The SIM controls this, you don't have to do anything other than set up the order from the pick lists.

Also, your formations factors in. You might have four running backs, but if you play all Trips formation [which only uses one back] or Shotgun [which has zero], then you probably aren't going to use too many RBs during the course of a game. But if you play formations with two RBs [I, Pro Set, ND Box] or three RBs [wishbone], then how you set up the order is important in terms of which ones play.

Ditto WRs--Trips and Shotgun use 3 and 4 receivers respectively, so you'll need the right depth to play those.

Same on defense--if you play a 4-3, 4-4, or 5-2, then you're using a lot of defensive lineman.

Conversely, 3-4 and 4-4 are heavy on linebackers.

Nickel and Dime are heavy on defensive backs.

If I remember right, the first cycle doesnt run for 24 hours, correct? then its every 3?

Correct. There is basically a one-day window to get your first cycle of recruiting activities in where there won't be any responses for 24 hours. So do what you plan on doing, and then you'll have to wait until the next day at noon EST to get the first cycle of results.

Don't overdo the spending on the first cycle!

And don't forget to send out your exhibition challenges and your out of conference invitations to schedule for the following season. The exhibition games give you the opporunity to play three additional games that don't count toward your record, which gives the players on your team three days of incremental improvement / development--a huge bonus.

You don't necessarily have to set up your schedule for next year out of conference, but if you don't then the SIM will just assign teams to you. Its in your control, so take advantage of the power to shape your schedule the following year. If you play all creampuff teams controlled by computers, then your SOS suffers, which makes it harder to get invited to the playoffs. But if you play all tough teams and lose, you'll have a much stronger SOS, but your resume will be impacted. So balance accordingly.

Correct. There is basically a one-day window to get your first cycle of recruiting activities in where there won't be any responses for 24 hours. So do what you plan on doing, and then you'll have to wait until the next day at noon EST to get the first cycle of results.

Don't overdo the spending on the first cycle!

And don't forget to send out your exhibition challenges and your out of conference invitations to schedule for the following season. The exhibition games give you the opporunity to play three additional games that don't count toward your record, which gives the players on your team three days of incremental improvement / development--a huge bonus.

You don't necessarily have to set up your schedule for next year out of conference, but if you don't then the SIM will just assign teams to you. Its in your control, so take advantage of the power to shape your schedule the following year. If you play all creampuff teams controlled by computers, then your SOS suffers, which makes it harder to get invited to the playoffs. But if you play all tough teams and lose, you'll have a much stronger SOS, but your resume will be impacted. So balance accordingly.

so tomorrow at noon (or soon after) i need to choose my 3 exhibition games for this year and also my 5 non-conf games for next year? is that correct...

so tomorrow at noon (or soon after) i need to choose my 3 exhibition games for this year and also my 5 non-conf games for next year? is that correct...

Yes...well you don't have to...but it is highly recommended...

Starting at noon tomorrow, you'll be able to extend invites to other teams for both exhibition and non-conference games.

The exhibition games will be for this year, during recruiting. The OOC games will be for next year's schedule.

If you extend an invite to a human coached team, that coach will have the discretion to decide whether to accept or not. But if you invite a SIM coached team, they'll always accept if they have an open slot.

so 1, 4, 7, 10 pm in the East... and they run at 1 am and 4 am also? lol
how can i be up then.. HOW MANY TOTAL CYCLES

You don't have to do recruiting stuff every cycle. In fact, there generally is a flurry of activity the first few as everyone is competing for players, and then it starts to settle down as people lock into their prospects.

But there is nothing that suggests you have to get up at 1am, 4am, etc. to do stuff. That said, if other coaches ARE up at those times and do recruiting activities, it can work against you.

You don't have to do recruiting stuff every cycle. In fact, there generally is a flurry of activity the first few as everyone is competing for players, and then it starts to settle down as people lock into their prospects.

But there is nothing that suggests you have to get up at 1am, 4am, etc. to do stuff. That said, if other coaches ARE up at those times and do recruiting activities, it can work against you.

Hey, I've been checking out the "guide to the game" in the forums, it keeps talking about downloading "yatzr's recruiting tool/spreadsheet" I cant download it at work. Is this going to set me back? or can I just make my own spreadsheet, and be good to go?

Hey, I've been checking out the "guide to the game" in the forums, it keeps talking about downloading "yatzr's recruiting tool/spreadsheet" I cant download it at work. Is this going to set me back? or can I just make my own spreadsheet, and be good to go?

I don't think you need it. Just read the FAQs on the positions, and understand the PRIMARY ability attributes that are relevant to each position. Then determine which secondary attributes fit your system. Recruit guys that fit the profile you want, and avoid those that don't.

I don't think that yatzr's tool is a "bad" thing, but I also think that there are a lot of coaches who don't fully understand what they're doing. No tool is going to supplant the need to understand the game, and how the players help you do what you game plan. So by my way of thinking, it isn't a value add. It takes some of the "thinking" away, and it might be fun to have a tool like that, but do you need it? No.

I'm in Warner coaching Amherst, can I move to Stagg?
I'm pretty sure you can move after your season in Warner is over. If the worlds are on different schedules, you will prolly have to wait until Stagg starts again. I'll look into it

Can I move my seasons around to different worlds?
Yes, you can move your seasons around from the Manage Seasons page under the Office menu if you have teams in multiple worlds. The following actions require at least one season remaining in a world:
  • Redshirting a Player
  • Scheduling a non-conference game for next season
  • Offering a booster gift (D-II and above)
  • Applying for a Job in a world for the next season
  • One season must remain in any World from the Renewal Deadline until Recruiting starts

Here is the updated conference rosters. If I have you listed as a "non sffan.com member" let me know, and I'll update it with your board name. I'm sure that if this season goes well, it shouldnt be hard to fill up the centennial conference.
Centennial guys, look out for an invite for an exibition game from me. I'll be updating the thread as far as records and anything else as the season goes on. Maybe it will help get a few more people interested. Good luck with recruiting!

Freedom Football Conference

East Region

Plymouth State - Keith43 (non sffan.com member)
Coast Guard - Dnyr85
Merchant Marine - SWFLCUSE
Norwich - BayonneOrange
Western Connecticut State - BlackKnight76
Worcester Tech - Clev04

West Region

Utica - Finwad32
Alfred - CuseTroop
Hartwick - AirForceOrange
Ithaca - Orangepace
Springfield - SUFaninNJ
St. John Fisher - Jeff4noles (non ssfan.com member)

Centennial Conference (In need of Coaches!)

East Region

Franklin & Marshal - Gillyacc (non sffan.com member)
Dickinson - scottleon (non sffan.com member)
Gettysburg - OPEN
Johns Hopkins - OPEN
McDaniel - OPEN
Muhlenberg- OPEN

West Region

Hobart - TBCuse11
Rensselaer Tech - OPEN
Rochester - OPEN
St. Lawrence - OPEN
Union - JKinPhilly
Ursinus - rudyru62 (non sffan.com member)

My name in the league is "Orangemen", and I'm Springfield's head coach, just in case anyone cares! I haven't looked up their mascot, but I might just go with the Isotopes anyway.
user2448_1170402940.jpg