College Football Sim League | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

College Football Sim League

How's everybody doing? Had 18 holes to fill with 12 more next season. Gonna be a young group at SCSU.
Solid so far, I had 18 holes to fill as well. I've got 19 or 20 Green with alot of budget left so I feel good about it.

Not my best recruiting effort, will have 3-4 walkons, but the guys I've grabbed are really good. Just need a good season and to hit the bricks a little differently next offseason.

Not my best recruiting effort, will have 3-4 walkons, but the guys I've grabbed are really good. Just need a good season and to hit the bricks a little differently next offseason.

I think I did OK but it's hard to tell since I'm pretty sure my vision must be awful. So I liked the guys I got relative to my roster and the other guys to choose from but I'm not sure how they'll measure up overall.

It definitely wont be the best class ive had but it's our first cycle, learning experience. I looked at the WIS v 3.0 site to see the recruiting rankings from last season to see what the average player role rating should be for the higher end. Because we had no funds roll over and bc our vision probably sucks right now I've set a goal for myself of a ranking in the 70's. Obviously not going to build a dynasty on that but I thought it would be a good starting point. It's about middle of the road.

Finwad32 said:
It definitely wont be the best class ive had but it's our first cycle, learning experience. I looked at the WIS v 3.0 site to see the recruiting rankings from last season to see what the average player role rating should be for the higher end. Because we had no funds roll over and bc our vision probably sucks right now I've set a goal for myself of a ranking in the 70's. Obviously not going to build a dynasty on that but I thought it would be a good starting point. It's about middle of the road.
anywhere in the top 70 was my goal at the onset as well. I could still finish strong, but I am saving my money to battle at the last minute if needed. Once I can get some wins and vision up over the next two seasons, look out boys!

I think I did OK but it's hard to tell since I'm pretty sure my vision must be awful. So I liked the guys I got relative to my roster and the other guys to choose from but I'm not sure how they'll measure up overall.
Sounds like you're in teh same boat as me. But even if this group isn't the best, if it improves your overall roster, or has the impact of bringing your bottom up after a few more classes, you will be solid.

Sounds like you're in teh same boat as me. But even if this group isn't the best, if it improves your overall roster, or has the impact of bringing your bottom up after a few more classes, you will be solid.

Yeah, it'll be a process. I like having 18 schollies but i'm going to have to win a few games here to increase the vision. It's nice to not have too many folks picking off your commits but it's also not a good sign if it's too easy and other teams aren't that interested in your guys. A fine line I guess. Got my first scrimmage tomorrow ... with three total defensive backs. Nice.

Got 27 of 28 spots filled with tons of cash left. Should be able to pull the last guy as well, who's a solid LB. Overall, very happy that I was able to sign 28 guys on my first try in DII with lousy vision. Some solid players but hopefully when this class turns over I'll have my vision up and we'll have a lethal set of studs moving forward. If I had a Top 70 class I'd be very fired up!

Got 27 of 28 spots filled with tons of cash left. Should be able to pull the last guy as well, who's a solid LB. Overall, very happy that I was able to sign 28 guys on my first try in DII with lousy vision. Some solid players but hopefully when this class turns over I'll have my vision up and we'll have a lethal set of studs moving forward. If I had a Top 70 class I'd be very fired up!
I filled 10 of 14... The 10 guys will really raise the bottom, but now I have to deal with these pesky walkons over the next few seasons. Oh well. Time to draw up gameplans.

I filled 10 of 14... The 10 guys will really raise the bottom, but now I have to deal with these pesky walkons over the next few seasons. Oh well. Time to draw up gameplans.
Did you have many battles? How did you do vs. sims? Good to have this class under my belt and build a good base.

43zombie said:
Did you have many battles? How did you do vs. sims? Good to have this class under my belt and build a good base.
i had quite a few battles, but the recruits I have were worth it. Part of the rebuild process is just recruiting over who's already here.

I couldn't really afford to get into many battles with 28 spots to fill. Figured I'd lay down a solid base, get my vision up and in a few seasons spend that extra cash on better players. BTW - when you have 28 spots to fill they won't let you schedule any exhibition games, you get an email saying that you have too few players to field a decent team. I'm thinking I should probably see that same email a few times this season when my entire lousy team takes the field...

Done, all 28 in and accounted for with a nice stack of cash left over. Wow, didn't think we'd pull that off that easy...

Pretty impressive Keith. It was a little easier recruiting process than I anticipated with such a heavy conference.

I couldn't really afford to get into many battles with 28 spots to fill. Figured I'd lay down a solid base, get my vision up and in a few seasons spend that extra cash on better players. BTW - when you have 28 spots to fill they won't let you schedule any exhibition games, you get an email saying that you have too few players to field a decent team. I'm thinking I should probably see that same email a few times this season when my entire lousy team takes the field...

I generally don't worry much about carry-over. If it happens it's good but I don't sweat using my full budget either. 25% is a pretty low percentage to carry over IMO

Rough go of it so far this season, but my squad has been very competitive in each game. Can't ask for more than that I guess. I'm going to do my all to give you guys hell in conference play though. ;)

Yeah, I've taken it a few times this season but I can see my team slowly improving. We're REALLY bad on D, that could improve anytime now... Looking forward to our battle tomorrow OP!

Yeah, I've taken it a few times this season but I can see my team slowly improving. We're REALLY bad on D, that could improve anytime now... Looking forward to our battle tomorrow OP!

I think it's you and me today, right? I have to say -- 3-4 with a roster that young is pretty impressive. Good luck in the second half (although hopefully not TOO good!).

Damn, rough go of it this season... Oh well. Here's hoping for a 3-0 finish to get to 8-5. I can sleep ok on that. Have to figure out how to make a big push next season. May have to rewrite my offense altogether.

So a little dead time here between the season and recruiting. Figured I'd burn a little time discussing the game. I'm interested as to what people's thoughts are on 3.0 and WIS in general? I ask b/c most of the people on the GD forums just absolutely crush the game in general but I still find it enjoyable and generally intuitive. Here are a couple of my thoughts, for whatever they are worth:

• I find the majority of results make sense generally. I feel like people want the game to completely mirror real-life but I tend to feel like any simulation is going to have quirks and some issues that make it a little less than reality. When you take that into account, it seems like a pretty solid game. Not sure we have enough experience at DII to know if there is a big difference from DIII, but so far I'm OK with it.

• One of the downsides is that it seems like it's tough to tell, at times, what makes a real difference. I tried recruiting specialized players for certain sets but didn't feel like it made much of a difference. It seems like if you got an RB with good speed, elusiveness and hands that he would be a better receiving target than a power back with average hands but I don't feel that's necessarily the case.

• Some attributes are still a complete mystery to me. GI, for example, seems to matter but I'm not sure how much. I tend to factor it into most recruiting but I can't tell what effect it really has on results.

• Seems like Form IQ/Experience are huge factors in 3.0. I wanted to get a ton of frosh involved in year 1 but I won mostly with juniors and seniors. Tough call b/c I'd rather develop the younger guys but I just think it's nearly impossible to win with young players.

• Run/Pass balance seems to be rewarded in 3.0. Felt like all-pass was the way to go in 2.0 and there are all those posts about an 'air raid' offense but I'd like my chances knowing what was coming.
Anyway, what do you guys think? Thoughts on the game and/or 3.0?

billsin01 - I generally agree with your comments. I like that the gimmick offenses are finding it harder and harder to be successful. I think that's a big win for 3.0 vs. 2.0. I also like that Form IQ has as much an impact, because it forces teams to really focus on gameplanning and forces tough decisions with giving a young guy experience vs. playing to win now. I hate to lose, so I always go for the win.

I also have had issues determining which type of RB fit my offense. It seems like both are equally effective, so I no longer target one attribute over another, but look for the best well rounded. I think GI will begin to have more an importance as we ascend levels. I also think the players won't be significantly different from each other as much and it will lean more towards gameplanning etc. I could be wrong though. I like D2 more than I did D3, but don't have enough experience yet to love this team as much as I loved my Ithaca team.

I'm excited for this offseason. I think next season will really be telling in terms of seeing how the conference is going to shake out in the near term. I've been looking at recruits constantly since the last season ended to try to figure out exactly who I want to target. Should be interesting.

I've been pretty vocal with any nuggets of info I've been able to glean thus far on this board, but would be very appreciative to hear some other's thoughts. There's no 1 way to build a team in this game, so it's all subjective, but I'm sure with sharing more information we all could become more successful.

Well I'm back from the dead and ready to get this season started. Recruiting went well but we'll see. Had to go to my second-choices for several positions but those guys are a big improvement from the guys I was stuck with the first two times around. Should be interesting.

Nice win Fin, I will have my revenge soon!

Well I'm back from the dead and ready to get this season started. Recruiting went well but we'll see. Had to go to my second-choices for several positions but those guys are a big improvement from the guys I was stuck with the first two times around. Should be interesting.

Nice win Fin, I will have my revenge soon!

Good to hear re: recruiting. I think is league will be very interesting this year. Everyone with three classes and a big chunk of guys with at least a year under their belts. I don't know that those of us with big rebuilds will be beating the top tier squads but just about everyon should be competitive.

This recruiting session left me wanting a little, but should be alright anyway. Just have to change my approach for next season's recruiting session. Btw.. rebuilding a team fully from the ground up sucks. I forgot how much effort it took in Ithaca. Oh well. That said, I should have a VERY competitive team this season.