Color Me Concerned | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Color Me Concerned

That's why I had said before that hoops is watered down and there are NO truly elite teams, including us. And btw, the ACC isn't exactly a power conference this year. If Syr played Kansas' schedule we'd have 6 losses or more. Does an elite team go on a current 6-game stretch of not scoring above 60 pts and eek out wins? Or lose to a 6-19 team at home, while only managing to score 50 pts in regulation against a defense that is one of the worst in the nation? Or blowing countless double-digit leads and needing last minute heroics to squeak past the likes of mediocre teams like MD, NC St, Miami, St Francis, ND, and Pitt (who is vastly overrated this year)

The same Kansas who lost to Nova who we beat?

Grant not playing, rak invisible and cooney ice cold and we still won

Survive and advance on the road. Big win
and coming back after a tough emotional loss

and the ACC schedule makers screwed us. In the Big East, when there was a Saturday/Monday on the schedule, they tried to make both teams travel - whoever was hosting would have a road game on Saturday, so that there would be no "jet lag" or other travel related advantage. In this case, not only did SU have to travel to Duke and then to Maryland, but Maryland had nearly a full week off - their previous game was at home last Tuesday.

So you had a well rested team playing at home with no travel issues vs. a team on a two game road trip with short rest (and, actually, in the middle of a 3 game roadie). plus, as noted in another post, JB was down to basically two fully healthy rotation players in the second half (Grant out, not 100% sure on BMK's knee yet).

Big, gutty win. Coaching win, too, I'd say.

Last edited:
people are absolutely underestimating last nite's win. we were terrible in the last 5 minutes but played a very solid road game for 35 minutes in a tough enviornment coming off an emotional loss 48 hours earlier against a rested team playing for their bubble lives. if cooney knocks down a couple more of his open looks we win EASY.

people are absolutely underestimating last nite's win. we were terrible in the last 5 minutes but played a very solid road game for 35 minutes in a tough enviornment coming off an emotional loss 48 hours earlier against a rested team playing for their bubble lives. if cooney knocks down a couple more of his open looks we win EASY.

Part of my concern with this team is I don't expect Cooney to knock those shots down.

Cusefan0307 said:

Jesus I hate when this happens....

Virginia Commonwealth

Toledo

USC

Auburn

The same Syracuse who lost to Boston College?

Part of my concern with this team is I don't expect Cooney to knock those shots down.

i expect him to knock down the open looks, he gets the looks he got last nite and he'll start making them.

Cooney seems more like a break-the-record one game, be cold for the next four games, rinse, repeat type shooter.

Cooney seems more like a break-the-record one game, be cold for the next four games, rinse, repeat type shooter.
he might seem that way to you, but that is just a case of recency bias on your part

throughout the ACC schedule, he has been a consistent bounce-back guy
Miami 2-12, then VPI 3-8
UNC 2-12, then BC 2-5
Pitt 2-8, then Miami 3-6
Wake 0-5, then Duke 2-2

then ND, Clemson and Pitt where he went 15-27 combined.
the recent 4 game skid (5-25) is the first extended multi-game shooting slump of the entire season (prior to these four, he has never had more than 2 consecutive games where his 3 pt shooting was below .375).

What he is experiencing now is a regression to the mean from the previous three game hot streak

Last edited:
What he is experiencing now is a regression to the mean from the previous three game hot streak

if only the regression stopped at the mean

Well Mr. Transitive, we played Nova @ home, Kansas played em neutral site. And you're talking about 1 game... speaking of which, I got 1 game for ya... BC. Enuf said.

We definitely had moments of solid play, but the lulls with this team are uncanny. And no offense, but we are saying "if this... if that" after way too many games for justification. Cooney didn't make the open shots. Period. If Maryland didn't throw the ball out of bounds on their own a 10 times... or if the ref decided to whistle Keita for a foul on MDs last possession...

Or if Coleman would've nailed those FTs against Indiana in '87...

Well Mr. Transitive, we played Nova @ home, Kansas played em neutral site. And you're talking about 1 game... speaking of which, I got 1 game for ya... BC. Enuf said.

The same game you made you're first post ever, which makes me wonder if you are even a Syracuse fan.

Are you from syracuse.com? Thought I recognized your work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom