Completely Irrelevant Questions | Syracusefan.com

Completely Irrelevant Questions

Cusefan95

All Conference
Lot's of really discouraging discussion right now on the board, and I doubt it's going to improve much in the next week so I figured its a good time to ask something innocuous.

My daughter LOVES the marching band, so when we go to games we always watch the band pregame at Hendricks Chapel. This year one of the songs they play is "Every Time We Touch" by Cascada. At first I thought "Why are we playing Duke's song?" since they play this before every home basketball game (and probably football as well) - but after looking it up on Youtube it seems a lot of college bands like Georgia Tech and Notre Dame play this song also. So my questions:

1) What would be a good song that Syracuse could start to play that would lead to an immediate identification with the school? If I hear Sandstorm, I think South Carolina. If I hear Every Time We Touch, I think Duke. Enter Sandman - VT. It would be great if we had something like that.

2) When did "Every Time We Touch" become a marching band tune? I don't think I would have predicted that would happen to a Eurodance song - and while it works well, I wonder who thought to give it a shot.

Lot's of really discouraging discussion right now on the board, and I doubt it's going to improve much in the next week so I figured its a good time to ask something innocuous.

My daughter LOVES the marching band, so when we go to games we always watch the band pregame at Hendricks Chapel. This year one of the songs they play is "Every Time We Touch" by Cascada. At first I thought "Why are we playing Duke's song?" since they play this before every home basketball game (and probably football as well) - but after looking it up on Youtube it seems a lot of college bands like Georgia Tech and Notre Dame play this song also. So my questions:

1) What would be a good song that Syracuse could start to play that would lead to an immediate identification with the school? If I hear Sandstorm, I think South Carolina. If I hear Every Time We Touch, I think Duke. Enter Sandman - VT. It would be great if we had something like that.

2) When did "Every Time We Touch" become a marching band tune? I don't think I would have predicted that would happen to a Eurodance song - and while it works well, I wonder who thought to give it a shot.

Sour Sitrus has been playing "Everytime We Touch" for years now.

Maybe "Orange Crush" by REM?

Eye of the Tiger, since we're on a perpetual uphill climb here.

The song was a hit in 2006, so likely after that!

It's a song that lends itself well to college marching band - a clear melody for the trumpets / clarinets / flutes and enough going on in the background for the low brass and mid-range instruments to do interesting things.

The secret here is that an independent arranger will put together a song and sell it to anyone who is interested. It's relatively cheap and can just be distributed along with a bunch of other songs without a hassle. That's why everyone plays it.

Sour Sitrus has been playing "Everytime We Touch" for years now.

Maybe "Orange Crush" by REM?

I can get to about one or two games a year, since neither noon or 7PM starts work well for me. I usually would leave my kids watching the band while I’d grab a beer at the beer tent, watch whatever game was on TV, pick up food and bring it back to the kids. My daughter always complains I’m gone way too long and there’s no way food lines were that long. I’d thought I was delaying watching other games only briefly, but since this year was the legitimately the first time I’ve heard Cascada - I’m forced to conclude my daughter has a legitimate gripe here.

I did not expect this thread to expose my shortcomings as a parent, this took a weird turn.

On the opposite side, when I was a kid I used to hate the marching band. No idea why looking back. But my dad (former SU employee for 35+ years) used to drop my aunt and I off at games and knew the guys working the booths, so he'd drop us off right in front of the gate (maybe H?). We'd walk in like 11:57a for a noon game. Great memories.

I don't think the song necessarily needs to have a tie in to Syracuse colors, history, the mascot, etc.

Here are ten relatively new songs marching bands have taken up that might get the crowd excited. I honestly don't know many of them by the title. I think SUMB does Call Me Maybe but I am not 100% sure. If they don't, pretty sure SSS does.

Would love to see SUMB take on Gangnam Style ala Ohio University (many of us who attended the game in Athens 2 years ago were wowed by the Ohio University Marching 110)...

1. Carly Rae Jepsen “Call Me Maybe” – The University of California marching band performed the infectious song at halftime, and the production saw the entire crowd singing along with the band. If you recognize this song, then you already know why the audience couldn’t get enough of it. The beat is addictive.

2. No Doubt “Spiderwebs” – Iowa State’s marching band altered this rock hit to nod to the brass beginnings of the band through a wall of trumpets.

3. Kanye West “All of the Lights” – They say “go big or go home,” and the Temple University marching band treated this performance like it was “do or die.” They fittingly blew Kanye West’s song from his fifth studio album “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” into the most grandiose version.

4. Skrillex “Medley” – EDM is known for its range of percussive electronic music genres, commonly featured in clubs and festivals. The marching band brought EDM into their world with this iconic Michigan State remix, known for one of the world’s biggest beat drops.

5. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis “Thrift Shop” – Bringing an “anything goes” atmosphere to the song, the University of Idaho marching band altered the notorious twisting sax into an ancient Roman battle cry.

6. Robin Thicke “Blurred Lines” – Jackson State’s marching band captured the repetitive salsa and meringue tunes in the Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams classic production. They infected an entire stadium with a massive drumline, and fans couldn’t get enough.

7. Psy “Gangnam Style” – At Ohio University, the marching band brought the ridiculousness of the viral, modern dance to the field with this wild performance. It’s a half-time show you have to see to believe!

8. Daft Punk “Medley” – The Western Washington University Viking Band brought the showmanship and robotic sounds with this Daft Punk tribute, complete with raver glow sticks. It doesn’t get more high energy than this!

9. CeeLo “Forget You” – The Southern University band had fun with CeeLo’s creative revenge song, and the audience could feel that joy in their performance. This song stands out for many reasons, including its playful pop hook and various stylistic elements. Fans weren’t expecting a marching band to perform a revenge song, which only added to its shock value.

10. Beyonce “Medley” – The University of Michigan took their performance of Beyonce’s classics to the next level by featuring the Queen B herself during the performance, a move nobody saw coming! It was the beginning of the celebrity-endorsed marching band era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom