Class of 2014 - Concerned about our lack of RB recruits | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Concerned about our lack of RB recruits

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
First let me say we return a great core next year with PTG and the two young kids especially Morris who has shown flashes of greatness.

That being said our recruitment of RB's to date is head scratching. Obviously last year we lost Ray and Augustus and weren't able to flip someone late. Obviously you would like to bring in a RB every year but look stuff happens and we had two guys who redshirted. However, for this class we have only 1 RB commit who in his own words prefers to play more of an H back role and isnt big on running between the tackles. He also has big time qualifying issues.

So my question is where are the other RB recruits? We missed out on Ollison and the kid from Chicago but I cant believe the staff would roll the dice with just Erv. If he doesn't qualify that would be two straight years with zero rb recruits and only 3 total Rb's on the roster including PTG who has a history of injuries. As good as this class is shaping up we need to bring in at least 1 additional RB, color me big time concerned if we dont.

PS - Yes I do realize Howard could probably play RB in a pinch but hes not being brought in to play the position so I dont count that.

Does Moore figure in the mix? He's been a mystery in so many ways. One injury at tailback next year and we're really thin. I also think McFarlane is playing out of position. He should be in the H back role:

I've been surprised with people's lack of concern on the board.
Erv is an H-back not a between the tackles runner.

We will go into 2015 with Morris, McFarlane and hopefully some true freshman. Gotta pray for no injuries.

Does Moore figure in the mix? He's been a mystery in so many ways. One injury at tailback next year and we're really thin. I also think McFarlane is playing out of position. He should be in the H back role:

Hes pretty much a fullback at this point and based on the offense we run there really isnt a place for him. He should have redshirted last year.

JeremyCuse said:
Hes pretty much a fullback at this point and based on the offense we run there really isnt a place for him. He should have redshirted last year.

With Smith leaving, we're going to need a power back next year, and Moore fits that role.

I've been surprised with people's lack of concern on the board.
Erv is an H-back not a between the tackles runner.

We will go into 2015 with Morris, McFarlane and hopefully some true freshman. Gotta pray for no injuries.

Thats a recipe for a disaster, one injury and an off the field issue next season and your down to one RB, literally. As you noted really surprised more of our recruiting guys on this board have expressed concern like myself and a few others. Wish there was a coaches show coming up, would have loved to have asked Coach Schafer about this.

With Smith leaving, we're going to need a power back next year, and Moore fits that role.

He doesn't have that Div 1 speed you need as a big back that Smith had and he has an injury history, I wouldn't put much stock into him playing any sort of role next year.

First let me say we return a great core next year with PTG and the two young kids especially Morris who has shown flashes of greatness.

That being said our recruitment of RB's to date is head scratching. Obviously last year we lost Ray and Augustus and weren't able to flip someone late. Obviously you would like to bring in a RB every year but look stuff happens and we had two guys who redshirted. However, for this class we have only 1 RB commit who in his own words prefers to play more of an H back role and isnt big on running between the tackles. He also has big time qualifying issues.

So my question is where are the other RB recruits? We missed out on Ollison and the kid from Chicago but I cant believe the staff would roll the dice with just Erv. If he doesn't qualify that would be two straight years with zero rb recruits and only 3 total Rb's on the roster including PTG who has a history of injuries. As good as this class is shaping up we need to bring in at least 1 additional RB, color me big time concerned if we dont.

PS - Yes I do realize Howard could probably play RB in a pinch but hes not being brought in to play the position so I dont count that.

Fair analysis, but to be honest, we just had a logjam at the position. If Jerome came back, we would have 5 players/RB's vying for playing time.. With Kinder and most likely a few more departures, there will plenty of room at the inn and we will end up taking someone who none of us have been following. Also, many of these kids want to see playing time and we had a lot of young talent in the bullpen last year into this. Good players are on the way, bank on it!

I'm not worried at all, and I worry about everything. We were deep at the position and we lost 1 guy. We brought one in and there is still time to add another.

With Kinder and most likely a few more departures, there will plenty of room at the inn and we will end up taking someone who none of us have been following. Also, many of these kids want to see playing time and we had a lot of young talent in the bullpen last year into this. Good players are on the way, bank on it!
I hope so, just have seen zero crumbs.

JeremyCuse said:
He doesn't have that Div 1 speed you need as a big back that Smith had and he has an injury history, I wouldn't put much stock into him playing any sort of role next year.

I was thinking in more of a short yardage role because the other three backs lack that ability. I also expect one of them to suffer an injury leaving us with two backs. We may need him. And like you, I don't expect Philips to qualify.

With all the talented WRs coming in and Jarrod West possibly staying, Broyld who was a RB last yr can play the 4th RB too.

With all the talented WRs coming in and Jarrod West possibly staying, Broyld who was a RB last yr can play the 4th RB too.
jackie-chan-meme_thumb7.png

Sudano said:

Is West going pro??

I'm joking.

JeremyCuse said:
First let me say we return a great core next year with PTG and the two young kids especially Morris who has shown flashes of greatness. That being said our recruitment of RB's to date is head scratching. Obviously last year we lost Ray and Augustus and weren't able to flip someone late. Obviously you would like to bring in a RB every year but look stuff happens and we had two guys who redshirted. However, for this class we have only 1 RB commit who in his own words prefers to play more of an H back role and isnt big on running between the tackles. He also has big time qualifying issues. So my question is where are the other RB recruits? We missed out on Ollison and the kid from Chicago but I cant believe the staff would roll the dice with just Erv. If he doesn't qualify that would be two straight years with zero rb recruits and only 3 total Rb's on the roster including PTG who has a history of injuries. As good as this class is shaping up we need to bring in at least 1 additional RB, color me big time concerned if we dont. PS - Yes I do realize Howard could probably play RB in a pinch but hes not being brought in to play the position so I dont count that.

I too am concerned. We need a large bruiser type back for short yard situations. We need about five to six scholarship backs on the roster.

From what I have seen of Morris is that even with his thin frame, he runs with a lot of power. Another off season of eating a jar of peanut butter a day and lifting weights should have him right where we need him. We can be just fine without a 220 lbs running back. Just need someone around 205.

Morris is listed at 6 ft 200 lbs. If he gets to a legit 205-210 we are good.

any chance we take the juco kid that has been hanging around

any chance we take the juco kid that has been hanging around
Not in the picture. Going to Western Kentucky. (apparently he's already signed his LOI. Pre-Petrino's departure.)

I am with Bnoro and money I am comfortable waiting until 2015 as long as we can get a stud, should be an easy sell for early playing time.
As long as we can get a stud? Yikes, that's comforting you?

I'm with bnoro and money on this. We're fine going into next year with PTG, Morris and McFarlene. If you get down to your 4th RB in a season then you're screwed anyway.

We're in deep with some top running backs next year and I would fully expect us to land 1 and probably 2 bonafide blue chips type kids.

Taken with a grain of salt but Sct has us with 9 offers out to 2015 running backs, 2 are from pennsylvania (one being Sequon Barkely - who's friends with AJ and KJ), he's from Whitehall, PA (think Allentown), 200 mi from Syracuse. Barkley is a buttgers commit (who wont stick there) and rvls is tabbing him as a 4* kid as of today.

Another RB we allegedly have an offer out to is Anthony Dubose from Newburgh, NY.

Not in the picture. Going to Western Kentucky. (apparently he's already signed his LOI. Pre-Petrino's departure.)
thank you. Im in the camp that we should look to take one more in this class. If not i hope we bring in a kid for jan next year so they can hit the spring otherwise we are going to have three backs on the roster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom