Conference Obligations | Syracusefan.com

Conference Obligations

44USMC

If the Big 12 - East merger takes place here's what I think could happen. Feel free to amend.

SU plays football with the ACC as soon as next year due to the football conference going the way of the dinosaurs.

SU plays Big East basketball with the rest of the conference until the end of the major TV contracts due to the immense cost of an ESPN contract buyout and reduced revenue with the signing of the basketball schools' new one.

Big East basketball will be a scheduling nightmare with 4,5,6 new teams added. I guess it depends who comes from the remnants of the Big 12.

If the Big 12 - East merger takes place here's what I think could happen. Feel free to amend.

SU plays football with the ACC as soon as next year due to the football conference going the way of the dinosaurs.

SU plays Big East basketball with the rest of the conference until the end of the major TV contracts due to the immense cost of an ESPN contract buyout and reduced revenue with the signing of the basketball schools' new one.
I dont see any way (a) our basketball team and football team play in different conferences, or (b) that we are not playing in ACC next year...

I dont see any way (a) our basketball team and football team play in different conferences, or (b) that we are not playing in ACC next year...
How so?

With respect to (a), I dont think the school (or conference) for that matter would agree to split sports like that. Is there any precedent for it?

With respect to (b), I think that the BE is likely to want to resolve their status asap and will not ultimately hold the defectors hostage. Not good for us or the conference as 2 year lame ducks. BE will have aligned with someone else by then.

Well, it's easy to see a split. I wonder if the schools' hand could be forced by ESPN who makes the Big East football schools fulfill their obligations for 27 months. These contracts are based on good faith.

ACC can renegotiate now...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...r-sports-allies-with-lucrative-tv-market.html

Big East

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-10/big-east-tv-contract-may-double-to-460-million.html

Contractually, ESPN could hold the Big East schools accountable and force them to play out their remaining time due to negotiations in good faith and the schools having signed away their rights. This has the potential to save ESPN money if it doesn't see the SU/Pitt vs Duke/UNC matchup as having more profit potential than the current Big East / ACC lineups. Same for the football schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom