Confidence rating for each game this year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Confidence rating for each game this year...

I saw a B10 article and it showed Purdue as the youngest and least experienced team in the B10.
I don’t get that. Purdue is basically returning the team that beat Tennessee in the music city bowl. Big ten network Joshua perry has us third in his initial power rankings behind Ohio state and Michigan.

Darrell hazell wasn’t a good coach but he built up some physical lines. When he left and those lines graduated in 2018, there was no one to replace them and then there were like 7 medical retirements in 2 year. The OL finally looks like men again.

The defense returns 11 guys who have played a lot. Only karlaftis replacement Jack Sullivan and Jaylan Alexanders replacement semisi fakasiieki didn’t play a ton of snaps last year. Semisi started in 2020 but was out for the year last year.

Aiden Oconnell was the 3rd rated passer in America in the regular season last year behind Bryce young and cj stroud and he can make anyone look good. When bell and Wright missed the music city bowl he threw for 534 yards and 5 TD and 3 INT to what was left over..

he’s our best since brees and he just gets through reads lightning quick, has great ability to reset his feet in the pocket, and the throws a soft super accurate ball that hits receivers in stride.

It’s a team where big ten people are pretty unanimously like “yeah they’ll contend for the west this year.”

And in my 25 years watching Purdue the team really excels when they play QBs who don’t spread the ball around and threaten the entire field really well, unless that team brings like Wisconsin’s OL and defense. A good comp for this game might be the 2018 BC team that came to Ross ade.

AJ Dillon had 19 carries for 59 yards. Anthony brown passed for 94 yards, 1 TD and 4 INT and 0-3 Purdue won 30-13. For whatever reason they’ve always done well against NE teams (well, north of Rutgers; thanks Diaco)..

I don’t get that. Purdue is basically returning the team that beat Tennessee in the music city bowl. Big ten network Joshua perry has us third in his initial power rankings behind Ohio state and Michigan.

Darrell hazell wasn’t a good coach but he built up some physical lines. When he left and those lines graduated in 2018, there was no one to replace them and then there were like 7 medical retirements in 2 year. The OL finally looks like men again.

The defense returns 11 guys who have played a lot. Only karlaftis replacement Jack Sullivan and Jaylan Alexanders replacement semisi fakasiieki didn’t play a ton of snaps last year. Semisi started in 2020 but was out for the year last year.

Aiden Oconnell was the 3rd rated passer in America in the regular season last year behind Bryce young and cj stroud and he can make anyone look good. When bell and Wright missed the music city bowl he threw for 534 yards and 5 TD and 3 INT to what was left over..

he’s our best since brees and he just gets through reads lightning quick, has great ability to reset his feet in the pocket, and the throws a soft super accurate ball that hits receivers in stride.

It’s a team where big ten people are pretty unanimously like “yeah they’ll contend for the west this year.”

And in my 25 years watching Purdue the team really excels when they play QBs who don’t spread the ball around and threaten the entire field really well, unless that team brings like Wisconsin’s OL and defense. A good comp for this game might be the 2018 BC team that came to Ross ade.

AJ Dillon had 19 carries for 59 yards. Anthony brown passed for 94 yards, 1 TD and 4 INT and 0-3 Purdue won 30-13. For whatever reason they’ve always done well against NE teams (well, north of Rutgers; thanks Diaco)..
"Basically returning the team..."
Didn't Purdue lose its top receiver to the Draft? Then, lose its 2nd best returning receiver to an academics issue?

I forgot that Bell was out of the Music City Bowl. I'll be interested in seeing if Tyrone Tracy and Charlie Jones like the Purdue offense better than Iowa. I suspect they will.

Didn't Purdue lose its top receiver to the Draft? Then, lose its 2nd best returning receiver to an academics issue?
he said basically returning the team who beat Tennessee in the bowl game, Bell and Wright were both out for that game and are both now gone

Neither played in the bowl game .. nor did karlaftis …

Broc Thompson caught 7 passes for 217 yards and 2 TD. Aidan Oconnell threw for 534 and 5 TD with what was left over.

The receivers are Thompson, slot starter from last year TJ Sheffield and Iowa transfer Charlie Jones, the best returner in America who managed to get 320 receiving yards catching passes From spencer petras last year, woof. The TE is 2nd team all big ten Payne Durham. The line of Miller, holstege, Hartwig, MBow and Craig all played in that game. The defense all did too except for Cory trice (out with injury) and semisi fakasiieki who started in 2020 but blew his knee out in camp. Both will be back.

Neither played in the bowl game .. nor did karlaftis …

Broc Thompson caught 7 passes for 217 yards and 2 TD. Aidan Oconnell threw for 534 and 5 TD with what was left over.

The receivers are Thompson, slot starter from last year TJ Sheffield and Iowa transfer Charlie Jones, the best returner in America who managed to get 320 receiving yards catching passes From spencer petras last year, woof. The TE is 2nd team all big ten Payne Durham. The line of Miller, holstege, Hartwig, MBow and Craig all played in that game. The defense all did too except for Cory trice (out with injury) and semisi fakasiieki who started in 2020 but blew his knee out in camp. Both will be back.
Yeah, that's pretty fearsome.:(

I forgot that Bell was out of the Music City Bowl. I'll be interested in seeing if Tyrone Tracy and Charlie Jones like the Purdue offense better than Iowa. I suspect they will.
I don’t know how Jones got 320 receiving yards with Spencer Petras and Brian ferentz (woof). Tyrone Tracy had 589 yards in 2019 catching balls from Nathan Stanley and half of that in the next two years from petras lmao. Petras is so bad.

The receivers are

Right side -

Broc Thompson 217 and 2 TD v Tennessee

Mershawn rice - former four star who played well replacing bell against Notre dame but then sustained an injury.

Abdur rahman-yaseen - also four stars who took over for rice the next week before getting hurt

Slot - tj sheffield; split time with anthrop

Tracy

Deion Burks - fastest player on team who made a nice grab against Tennessee

Left - Charlie Jones

Yaseen will be over here also, he and rice need to just stay healthy.

Rounded out by Collin Sullivan, Preston Terrell and Elijah cannon.. three guys we are happy about who have been log jammed. It’s a deep group with good players, but of course no David bell. Players like that just don’t come along very often unless you’re Ohio state

Who are you guys playmakers besides that stud RB

Yeah, that's pretty fearsome.:(
Issues for every team in America. The DL got sacks, but they took half an hour to get home with karlaftis triple teamed. Khordae Sydnor is the athletic youngster we hope can beat out Sullivan (unless Jack shows a Burst I haven’t seen). On the other side nic caraway is a true freshman guy who is about what karlaftis was coming in (ranked 107th rivals showed out at the army all American game). Can he push Jenkins on the other side? We won’t know yet.

The OL is expected to get a better push in the run game than the last three years. Massively? No. But that’s why I asked about the size of your front. They won’t push Wisconsin but a front that’s listed at 268, 270, 219 and 250? Who knows.

The team doesn’t have anyone except O’Connell who is NEAR what bell or karlaftis was. It’s more reminiscent of some of pat Fitzgerald’s northwestern teams that won the big ten west.

I didn’t mention transfers except Jones and Tracy because I truly believe they were just in a terrible situation. We got former four star NT Cole brevard, an Indy guy, from penn state. He will be needed against your massive OL. But everyone is like “oh look at this transfer from alabama/usc/wherever.” Its hard to know why guys transferred so it’s not worth talking ahout until they show up on film.

But anyway.. what about you guys? I know us. I’m here to find out reasons why you guys will give us things to worry about other than your playmaker back and that massive OL. Wow, 375 at LG.

PS New York has way better pizza than the Midwest. I hallucinate thinking about it

Thanks for the quality overview. We’re all guessing here. No one really knows much until the third of fourth game of the season.

Thanks for the quality overview. We’re all guessing here. No one really knows much until the third of fourth game of the season.
No I know .. it’s not other teams fans. It’s the coverage that is awful. I’ve found out things about other teams from you know, talking to their fans, that make me scratch my head like “why is this media outlet saying X”

I know where we are weak and it’s in about 6-7 positions with different weaknesses .. I.e. our DEs don’t have quick burst to the QB.

I’m sure all power 5 teams do except for Indiana lol
With the new OC and QB coaches from UVA, you might want to scout last year's Cavaliers offense. But, we definitely don't have their passing qb. Our qb, Garrett Shrader, is a deceptively fast quarterback; maybe not burst wise, but if helped to get in the open, will run away from defenders. We are likely to start tall(6'5" ish) wrs outside in Oronde Gadsden and Damien Alford. They will likely have the height advantage on corners for jump balls. Slot receivers have the most experience; Courtney Jackson is our returning catch leader, and Devaughn Cooper is an adult in his 6th or 7th year in college.

Last edited:
With the new OC and QB coaches from UVA, you might want to scout last year's Cavaliers offense. But, we definitely don't have their passing qb. Our qb, Garrett Schrader, is a deceptively fast quarterback; maybe not burst wise, but if helped to get in the open, will run away from defenders. We are likely to start tall(6'5" ish) wrs outside in Oronde Gadsden and Damien Alford. They will likely have the height advantage on corners for jump balls. Slot receivers have the most experience; Courtney Jackson is our returning catch leader, and Devante Cooper is an adult in his 6 or 7th year in college.
The corners are 6’3” and can run. But I’m hearing from our side you guys try to do what Minnesota does. The thing with them is tanner Morgan turns into joe montana when he plays Purdue. But if shrader runs a lot off of boots and the like that could be a problem.

Purdue is always gonna be the smaller quick team in the big ten. The defense is fast but If you’re Wisconsin yeah you can pound the ball. The OL is a smaller quick OL. The offensive line can’t push Wisconsin but if they are stronger than a super fast team, they are physical enough to push them if that makes any sense.

either way I don’t ever take any team for granted

Just repeating what I read in a B10 article. Have no idea on its accuracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom