Confused | Syracusefan.com

Confused

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
I'm a little confused by the prevailing themes on the board. People are quite honestly losing their minds over the refs (and Jay Bilas for some reason). I guess this is partly a general release after not getting to meltdown after a loss since the final four and now having 2 losses in a row?

The way I see it, yeah there may have been a few calls we disagree with in this game, but it was way more fairly called than I thought it would be. We have been screwed WAY worse in WAY bigger games. Recent games, like Ohio State, Marquette, and Butler. Those were clear instances of big problems or mistakes having a huge impact on us getting a Final Four, Sweet 16, and Elite 8 respectively.

I'm not sure why coach went so crazy here and not in those games. I suspect it was calculated. I suppose he was laying the ground work of us not laying down for Tobacco Road home calls, I dunno. The guy has coached almost 1400 games and never been tossed. That tells me it wasn't an accident. It is really curious though because he knows we still had a chance to win if he doesn't get the techs, and we know JB plays to win at all costs in every game. Guy would light himself on fire to get a November win against Colgate, so blowing up this game to make some strategic statement seems just as out of character as him him just going bat crap crazy like he did.

I suspect some of the nutty perspectives, conspiracy theories, etc we've seen here are partially egged on by JB's reaction which we really don't know the motivations for.

On top of all this, after playing very poorly for a few weeks, seriously calling into question how long of a tourney run we could realistically put together, they showed last night that they can still compete with anybody, anywhere abd have a chance to win. We did that still not hitting on all cylinders and got proof that we'll have Baye back for our run. lots of good came out of last night.

Anyway, I'm confused by the whole thing.

Just add another one to the string of strange games we've had this year. Strange, strange team that plays strange games. Let's get W 26 tomorrow.

We are all processing. That's what fans do. It's a good thing we have this board! It really helps me figure out what I think and how I feel. And we can shift our perspectives as well, by reading a persuasive post about a certain point of view. This game will be settling for a long long time. Personally, I love the fact that we have had two dramatic, epic games against Duke.

Personally, I love the fact that we have had two dramatic, epic games against Duke.

Me too. I can stomach losing to a team like Duke at home a heck of lot more than losing to Pitt or their ilk. These two games have confirmed in my mind that Syracuse is a national brand on par with anybody in college basketball and to third party fans, they elevated the profile of our program. Playing UConn rarely had an effect like that. 6OT being the only time.

All I wanted before the game (not worried about W/L) was that we compete. And we did - and I should have been happy.

I am not one to whine about Refs (usually), but Duke brings out the hatred and passion in you... and of course some BS plays to bring it really out.

He didn't do the same thing in the NCAA Tournament because he knows our season could end with that game. Wasn't the case yesterday. It is amazing he kept his cool with some of the terrible calls that have helped knock us out of recent tournaments.

I suspect some of the nutty perspectives, conspiracy theories, etc we've seen here are partially egged on by JB's reaction which we really don't know the motivations for.

Agree. I'm certain JB's reaction caused some of the insanity. At that point I think MOST people were somewhat mystified by the officiating, and that call was the breaking point (it was a VERY close call) and that allowed everyone to jump off the cliff. Including JB.

Close call or not, that call in the first half (against G) is resonating with everyone as one of MANY questionable calls. So, when a play that isn't nearly as clear cut happens and it yet again goes against us again, well, Thunderdome is bound to ensue.

I don't blame JB, or anyone here quite frankly. They didn't call the game the same on both sides. Sometimes they let contact go both ways and it's infuriating because against a team like Pitt, that plays to their advantage, but in the end those games are just ugly - not really biased. This was something crappier than that.

The thing about the game is like in the NBA, end game situations the officials let the players decide the game, officials are not supposed to be the game, in any sport, its not about them, its about the players. The clown last night by not swallowing his whistle made it about him, and that cheats everyone in the sport, Players, Coaches, and the fans. If CJ did something to give himself an unfair advantage then you would make a call, but not when there is incidental contact at the end of the game.

To me its obvious that it was built up from Gbinijes "block" to Raks dunk and "no call" to the obvious "no call"/"charge". Look every game has calls that go for us and against us. But we had three in a row that were awful and we all knew it would happen at Cameron. Coincidence? Nope. It is what it is. We move on, Boeheim fired up the troops and we will end up with a #1 or #2 seed in Buffalo/MSG.

Agree. I'm certain JB's reaction caused some of the insanity. At that point I think MOST people were somewhat mystified by the officiating, and that call was the breaking point (it was a VERY close call) and that allowed everyone to jump off the cliff. Including JB.

Close call or not, that call in the first half (against G) is resonating with everyone as one of MANY questionable calls. So, when a play that isn't nearly as clear cut happens and it yet again goes against us again, well, Thunderdome is bound to ensue.

I don't blame JB, or anyone here quite frankly. They didn't call the game the same on both sides. Sometimes they let contact go both ways and it's infuriating because against a team like Pitt, that plays to their advantage, but in the end those games are just ugly - not really biased. This was something crappier than that.
I dont think alot of people realise how much jb wanted this game. He has been roundly critisized (by media) over the yrs. Inherited good team from Danforth, cant win big games etc. Overshadowed by K (nationally) right or wrong I think he just snapped because he wanted to win so badly, and at that point didnt care about what may happen. I don't know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom