Congrats to Sarah Fuller | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to Sarah Fuller

I'm sure at some point down the road there will be a legitimate P5 female kicker. Too bad she won't have the distinction to be recognized as the first one, because of this bogus stunt by Vanderbilt...
bunk-the-wire.gif.cf.gif

Yeah, I don't know. She kicked the ball off to the 35, nothing special by any means, she didn't even have thigh pads in. I don't think I've ever seen a modern football player without full padding.
Wow. What did you expect her to put it through the uprights? I think it’s awesome, and I am not at all a feminist. I made sure my daughter knew about this today.

Other gals have kicked (and scored) in D1 football, just not P5. Every once in a while you'll see a Gal as the kicker in HS - if she has a big leg. I know I've seen it.
How many dames and broads have played D1?

How many dames and broads have played D1?
3 FBS.

Our HS usually gets their kicker from the soccer team, because they can kick. Sent one FBS a few years ago. (Next town over, the gal won out.) Vandy doesn't have a male soccer team. Sarah is 6'2. In just a few days of practice, her accurate FG range was just under 40 yards. Be pretty cool if she gets a chance to hit one next week.

How was it momentous? Seriously? Did you really ask that question?
View attachment 192072

I think momentous is maybe the wrong word. I doubt there will be a significant change in the future of football resulting from this. I could be wrong. I would say its certainly remarkable. A cool story in a year that needs positive and cool stories. Don't think this is really the time to be commenting on her D1 football skillset. Heck she might even throw the ball on 4th and goal instead of spiking it to stop the clock.

I think momentous is maybe the wrong word. I doubt there will be a significant change in the future of football resulting from this. I could be wrong. I would say its certainly remarkable. A cool story in a year that needs positive and cool stories. Don't think this is really the time to be commenting on her D1 football skillset. Heck she might even throw the ball on 4th and goal instead of spiking it to stop the clock.
Maybe Rex’s spike was just a publicity stunt.

Why should we care?
Eh, nobody has to.

I think it's cool though because I've got a little girl that hasn't realized yet how hard opportunities can be to come by in life, so whenever I have a positive example of anybody like her that does something to expand the realistic possibilities she might have some day, I notice it.

What a pathetic kick that was... why not just kick the ball out of bounds. Would have resulted in the same without risk of a return. No wonder Vandy is winless

What a pathetic kick that was... why not just kick the ball out of bounds. Would have resulted in the same without risk of a return. No wonder Vandy is winless
Shizt take. She had less then a week of practice and kicked it 40 yards. The coach probably had her kick it short to allow the 10 players to get down quicker. She is the last reason they suck considering she was out there for one play

At the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl, Rob Long was out, and our kick off unit was so bad that K State ran the ball back to the 40 like 3 or 4 times. The staff eventually gave up and had Lichtenstein (or Krautman - can't remember who did KOs that day) loft the ball to the up men around the 35 or 40 for the rest of the game - just to prevent the chance of a touchdown.

Fuller was asked to squib the kickoff, which she did, and the ball bounced at such an angle that the up man fell on the ball to prevent it from staying live.

Kicking is really hard. As I heard someone say on a podcast yesterday - "There's no discourse here. This is a good moment, and anyone who is trying to debate that isn't worth listening to."

Last edited:
At the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl, Rob Long was out, and our kick off unit was so bad that K State ran the ball back to the 40 like 3 or 4 times. The staff eventually gave up and had Lichtenstein loft the ball to the up men around the 35 or 40 for the rest of the game - just to prevent the chance of a touchdown.

Fuller was asked to squib the kickoff, which she did, and the ball bounced at such an angle that the up man fell on the ball to prevent it from staying live.

Kicking is really hard. As I heard someone say on a podcast yesterday - "There's no discourse here. This is a good moment, and anyone who is trying to debate that isn't worth listening to."
Agreed. Some folks in this thread seem to be triggered by this.

I clicked on this thread to figure out who she was, and I stayed for the inevitable fight that I knew would happen.

If it was a SJW PR stunt, then it’s just as stupid as non-SJW PR stunts, which are eye-rollingly stupid, and shame on Vandy for doing it. If she legitimately was the best available kicker, then good for Vandy for having a meritocratic team.

I’m fairly confident that nobody on this forum has any real idea how good her leg is vs. the other available options, so debating whether or whether not Vanderbilt discriminated on age, gender, or national origin is futile.

Gun to my head, I think Vandy probably put in a shameless PR stunt to appease SJW masses. However, I’ll be the first to admit that I really don’t know, the “harm” is minimal, and life is better if you assume the best in people, so I’m willing to tell myself that she really did have the best available leg, and I hope they put her in team pictures.

Still, her kick won’t change anything in college football for good, bad, or otherwise, so anybody building the “event” up is either naive or virtue signaling. But she didn’t make a highlight for the wrong reason (unlike our team), and she did what she was asked to do, so it will probably give her a nice memory for the rest of her life. It will probably also give her a cool story for her grand kids.

As for why any of us should care, well, we shouldn’t. But we’re staring down the barrel of a 1-9 disfunction cluster of a season that has decimated and divided the fanbase, so the more we collectively care about meaningless things irrelevant to our current situation, the better.

Maybe Kansas State will trot out the first left handed, right footed kicker to really enjoy learning both Latin and calculus next week, and we, as a society, can shatter that barrier while we all collectively ignore the beat down that ND is going give us. I can only dream...

Are you including field goals in that also or just kickoffs?

Kickoffs can be pretty stupid, seems like the majority of the time someone runs it out they get to the 25 then a holding / illegal block penalty.

I clicked on this thread to figure out who she was, and I stayed for the inevitable fight that I knew would happen.

If it was a SJW PR stunt, then it’s just as stupid as non-SJW PR stunts, which are eye-rollingly stupid, and shame on Vandy for doing it. If she legitimately was the best available kicker, then good for Vandy for having a meritocratic team.

I’m fairly confident that nobody on this forum has any real idea how good her leg is vs. the other available options, so debating whether or whether not Vanderbilt discriminated on age, gender, or national origin is futile.

Gun to my head, I think Vandy probably put in a shameless PR stunt to appease SJW masses. However, I’ll be the first to admit that I really don’t know, the “harm” is minimal, and life is better if you assume the best in people, so I’m willing to tell myself that she really did have the best available leg, and I hope they put her in team pictures.

Still, her kick won’t change anything in college football for good, bad, or otherwise, so anybody building the “event” up is either naive or virtue signaling. But she didn’t make a highlight for the wrong reason (unlike our team), and she did what she was asked to do, so it will probably give her a nice memory for the rest of her life. It will probably also give her a cool story for her grand kids.

As for why any of us should care, well, we shouldn’t. But we’re staring down the barrel of a 1-9 disfunction cluster of a season that has decimated and divided the fanbase, so the more we collectively care about meaningless things irrelevant to our current situation, the better.

Maybe Kansas State will trot out the first left handed, right footed kicker to really enjoy learning both Latin and calculus next week, and we, as a society, can shatter that barrier while we all collectively ignore the beat down that ND is going give us. I can only dream...
I don't think you really understand what it looks like to shatter a barrier, based on your example at the end.

And if me making this post was virtue signaling, well...

tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom