Congrats to Trevor Cooney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to Trevor Cooney

He's our 2 guard next year. Like it I or not. I've been questioning JB's recruiting for several years now.

If this something you actually believe, then you ought to be embarrassed, because it is a pretty dopey position to admit to.

I get that everybody is pissed about the lost. But you have "been questioning JB's recruiting for several years now?" Really? That is one of the dumbest things I have read on a board that is thick with dumb.

Meshaun had a great right hook. Smokin' Joe Frazier even respected it...and Otto definitely did.

only problem was Otto was a woman...what was her name she was the one of the DJ's on 107.9 at the time

He's the only "legitimate" three point shooter teams have to worry about defending. Ennis can make some but he doesn't take many. Once teams saw that he was it they started defending him much better. His one or two drives to the hoop a game don't make the defense worry about that aspect of his game. He got so used to having to shooting a rushed shot because he was rarely open that now even when he is open he rushes his shot. We need to recruit some shooters who can play the 2-3 zone, instead of guys who can play the 2-3 zone and possibly develop into shooters. It isn't a coincidence that the last time we had more than one consistent three point threat was also the last time we had a team that with a decent offense.
Let somebody else take threes and make 25% of them, what's the difference. Why not develop someone with some upside instead if wasting 15 possessions a game hoping cooney will transform into GMAC.

Does anyone at all think Nc State, or our other bad losses and bear misses legitimately had superior top to bottom talent to us? The issue lies elsewhere. Cooney's overuse and underperformance is a symptom of the underlying real issues.

He's our 2 guard next year. Like it I or not. I've been questioning JB's recruiting for several years now.
Boeheim's stubborness wins him a lot of games, but do we win more games that we should lose, or do we lose more games we should win? In most games, during the course of the season, would playing a Roberson/BJ for 2-3 minutes in the first half and not pulling them for their first perceived mistake really cost us the game. At the same time, they get some PT, and don't fear the Boeheim. Then, when you have a game like NCST, you can pull a Fair/Cooney. For you youngsters out there, Dean Smith used to have a blue team, where he would pull his starters and play the next five as a unit for several minutes. Can you imagine that?

Does anyone at all think Nc State, or our other bad losses and bear misses legitimately had superior top to bottom talent to us? The issue lies elsewhere. Cooney's overuse and underperformance is a symptom of the underlying real issues.
No.

Honestly our 1-5 talent is as good as anyone in the country; our depth is bad right now.

Warren is better than anyone we have, but I think if you had to rate everyone on that game last night based purely on talent, Fair/Ennis/Grant are all better than anyone else NC State has.

Why? We've underachieved based on our recruiting.

Go back and look at our recruiting. The only guy we have that is underperforming their ranking is Christmas, the rest were mid range 4 star guys or are currently in the NBA. This years starting rotation would be MCW, Dion, CJ, Grant, Fab if there wasn't early entry.

That is a joke,right?

You could argue that recruiting left us with a somewhat unbalanced roster this year......no credible 3 point threat behind Cooney and really no effective guards behind Ennis and Cooney. But, that would fail to appreciate that we had a complete turnover from last year losing MCW, Triche & Southerland. That was a lot of production to replace and we did it pretty well in terms of results, although maybe not so well in terms of offensive production. When Cooney isn't scoring we are playing with two positions on the floor that really aren't giving us much of anything and I don't think that Jerami and Tyler are consistent and strong enough scrorers at this point to balance that out. Not to say you don't have to guard Cooney, but if he can't score consistently how much of a threat is he really in terms of helping the flow of the offense.

It can be hard to appreciate this season for what it is, but it was essentially a rebuilding year that turned in to a terrific year. Unfortunately, some of what made it look like it would be a rebuilding year is starting to catch up with us now.

Congratulations for one of the biggest and most pointless a****** threads in the history of this board.

Congratulations for one of the biggest and most pointless a****** threads in the history of this board.

You are welcome!

I just apologize for not living up to your Pulitzer worth expectations. Instead of talking basketball, I will learn from you focusing on posts about the board and not, you know, the sport the board intends to talk about.

Kisses and Go Orange.

Yeah bro. Imagine that zone and imagine CJ and Grant as the 4th and 5th options on offense.
That backline would have been insanity. MCW was an absolute game changer at the top too.

Not to mention that offense, sheesh.

Also, I just watched the final possession again. When Cooney passed up that open 3 to Ennis you could see an assistant (I think Hop, but the vid quality wasn't good) go absolute BS; he wanted Cooney to take it.

You are welcome!

I just apologize for not living up to your Pulitzer worth expectations. Instead of talking basketball, I will learn from you focusing on posts about the board and not, you know, the sport the board intends to talk about.

Kisses and Go Orange.

If it makes you feel good to trash a kid you've probably never met because he doesn't play basketball at a level that meets your expectations, good for you! There are ways to criticize without being a d***. But kisses and hugs back to you!

If it makes you feel good to trash a kid you've probably never met because he doesn't play basketball at a level that meets your expectations, good for you! There are ways to criticize without being a d***. But kisses and hugs back to you!

I am negatively commenting on the kid's play. Makes no difference whether I have met him or not.

He has played poorly for nine games. Why you take this so personally as if I was attacking ANYTHING on a personal basis seems...dunno, weird given the nature of what an Internet forum is about.

More sorry that he apparently is meeting your expectations of late ON. THE. COURT.

LGO.

I am negatively commenting on the kid's play. Makes no difference whether I have met him or not.

He has played poorly for nine games. Why you take this so personally as if I was attacking ANYTHING on a personal basis seems...dunno, weird given the nature of what an Internet forum is about.

More sorry that he apparently is meeting your expectations of late ON. THE. COURT.

LGO.
I haven't read any of this thread but this post, but to call out Cooney -- and in a particularly snarky form (re-take a look at the title you gave this thread) -- is personal. There's no wrong time to realize you're critiquing 18 to 22-year-olds who have an athletic ability you can't match. (And if you do, there're no reason more sensible people can't call you a douche.)

Last edited:
You could argue that recruiting left us with a somewhat unbalanced roster this year...no credible 3 point threat behind Cooney and really no effective guards behind Ennis and Cooney. But, that would fail to appreciate that we had a complete turnover from last year losing MCW, Triche & Southerland. That was a lot of production to replace and we did it pretty well in terms of results, although maybe not so well in terms of offensive production. When Cooney isn't scoring we are playing with two positions on the floor that really aren't giving us much of anything and I don't think that Jerami and Tyler are consistent and strong enough scrorers at this point to balance that out. Not to say you don't have to guard Cooney, but if he can't score consistently how much of a threat is he really in terms of helping the flow of the offense.

It can be hard to appreciate this season for what it is, but it was essentially a rebuilding year that turned in to a terrific year. Unfortunately, some of what made it look like it would be a rebuilding year is starting to catch up with us now.
I would say for most successful D1 programs, every year is a rebuilding year. Duke will lose Parker/Hood, but they also have some of the best HS kids coming in next year. The year before last, we lost Joseph/Melo, and went to Final Four

I haven't read any of this thread but this post, but to call out Cooney -- and in a particularly snarky form (re-take a look at the title you gave this thread) is personal. There's no wrong time to realize you're critiquing 18 to 22-year-olds who have an athletic ability you can't match. (And if you do, there're no reason more sensible people can't call you a douche.)

Ahhhhh LOL.

Apparently snarky is a personal attack. And way to prove your point by doing the same thing you are so adamantly against. I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I? is a textbook strategy.

I will lay off the board for awhile and sincerely root for the Orange, which is, I think quite possible to do while thinking Trevor's last nine games, unfortunately, have been bad. I hope like hell his next SIX games are damn good.

Love you all.

Ahhhhh LOL.

Apparently snarky is a personal attack. And way to prove your point by doing the same thing you are so adamantly against. I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I? is a textbook strategy.

I will lay off the board for awhile and sincerely root for the Orange, which is, I think quite possible to do while thinking Trevor's last nine games, unfortunately, have been bad. I hope like hell his next SIX games are damn good.

Love you all.
People who know me say I have too many rules in life -- it's probably true, but on this I'm right: Adults who type "LOL" aren't to be listened to. But because I had a keg with my eggs, let me pile on: Do you honestly think calling out a fellow adult on a message board is the same as that said adult calling out someone who's a better athlete -- not to mention decades younger -- than they are in their wettest of dreams? You need to get your kids better textbooks.

Trevor's problem is all mental at this point. He showed that with his pass to Ennis with :15 seconds left yesterday. He had the wide open look for the tie...and passed it up. Lack of confidence can kill a shooter.

People who know me say I have too many rules in life -- it's probably true, but on this I'm right: Adults who type "LOL" aren't to be listened to. But because I had a keg with my eggs, let me pile on: Do you honestly think calling out a fellow adult on a message board is the same as that said adult calling out someone who's a better athlete -- not to mention decades younger -- than they are in their wettest of dreams? You need to get your kids better textbooks.

The beer muscles are strong with this one.

He's the only "legitimate" three point shooter teams have to worry about defending. Ennis can make some but he doesn't take many. Once teams saw that he was it they started defending him much better. His one or two drives to the hoop a game don't make the defense worry about that aspect of his game. He got so used to having to shooting a rushed shot because he was rarely open that now even when he is open he rushes his shot. We need to recruit some shooters who can play the 2-3 zone, instead of guys who can play the 2-3 zone and possibly develop into shooters. It isn't a coincidence that the last time we had more than one consistent three point threat was also the last time we had a team that with a decent offense.

Ennis has been the better three point shooter for a while now. Is that the legitimate three point shooter?

The beer muscles are strong with this one.
I'd rather flex them -- as useless as they are -- than a be worthless [let your mind drift].

Last edited:
Not everyone on here is 50 years old and out of shape.

Congrats on the creepiest use of the term wet dreams I've ever heard.