Congrats to Trevor Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to Trevor Cooney

Not everyone on here is 50 years old and out of shape.

Congrats on the creepiest use of the term wet dreams I've ever heard.
1) I didn't say anyone over 50 isn't pretty; 2) while growing up is apparently out of the question, you need to read more.

just under 150 wins in the last 5 years. JB's recruiting sucks. MCW, Dion, Ennis the list goes on.

Yeah and how many points did those teams score? Surely cuse guy isn't saying jab can't coach offense when the team is scoring 80 a game like normally

You could argue that recruiting left us with a somewhat unbalanced roster this year...no credible 3 point threat behind Cooney and really no effective guards behind Ennis and Cooney. But, that would fail to appreciate that we had a complete turnover from last year losing MCW, Triche & Southerland. That was a lot of production to replace and we did it pretty well in terms of results, although maybe not so well in terms of offensive production. When Cooney isn't scoring we are playing with two positions on the floor that really aren't giving us much of anything and I don't think that Jerami and Tyler are consistent and strong enough scrorers at this point to balance that out. Not to say you don't have to guard Cooney, but if he can't score consistently how much of a threat is he really in terms of helping the flow of the offense.

It can be hard to appreciate this season for what it is, but it was essentially a rebuilding year that turned in to a terrific year. Unfortunately, some of what made it look like it would be a rebuilding year is starting to catch up with us now.
"...no credible 3 point threat behind Cooney and really no effective guards behind Ennis and Cooney." Very interesting, that really explains it to me. I guess that is why they play so much even when the they are struggling.

He is taking low percentage shots lately. Contested and/or off-balanced. I'd rather him take deeper 3s to get a balanced and less-contested shot. Rautins and Gmac were never afraid to shoot deep 3s because it gave them some space.

Let somebody else take threes and make 25% of them, what's the difference. Why not develop someone with some upside instead if wasting 15 possessions a game hoping cooney will transform into GMAC.
Cooney hasn't been good lately but he took 6 shots last night, 2 of which were heaves

Last edited:
I know Trevor has been in a bad slump, but he has still far and away surpassed expectations if you look at the season as a whole. He'll only get better. At 27-5, I think we overachieved. I think most people would have taken that before the season started. When you start 25-0, you have no where to go but down and down we went.

Last nights game came down to two players, Warren and Fair. One went off and one had an off night. It happens.

Trevor's problem is all mental at this point. He showed that with his pass to Ennis with :15 seconds left yesterday. He had the wide open look for the tie...and passed it up. Lack of confidence can kill a shooter.
Or the fact that he Tiger fist pumps when he makes one now. That is never a good sign when a shooter gets too hyped after making a 3 that isn't down the stretch of a game.

Or the fact that he Tiger fist pumps when he makes one now. That is never a good sign when a shooter gets too hyped after making a 3 that isn't down the stretch of a game.

That just shows he's trying to boost his own confidence. He's at rock bottom, IMHO. As Syracuse fans, we've been spoiled by having players like GMac and Andy Rautins in the last ten years. Those cats oozed confidence and were cool under pressure. I think Trevor is cut from that same mold, but he isn't there yet. GMac had "it" from day one. It took Andy three seasons (including the redshirt) to be as deadly of a player as he was. I think Trevor will make a huge leap next year as a junior. He's in a Soph slump, of sorts, right now and has to keep going. Just keep shooting.

I'm more worried about CJ, to be totally honest. He's our go-to guy and has been butt ass cold for weeks. When your senior leader is air balling open threes, there's a problem. He is forcing things. We have been in so many close games now that I think the team plays on the edge. They are pressing the action when they shouldn't be and are making some bad decisions on offense.

If we could get back to rebounding well and making the bunnies near the hoop (cough, cough, Xmas), it would take the pressure off. We need to loosen up. XMas can really help this team if he could score 8 easy ones a game and grab 10 boards in his sleep. I remember Matt Park during the last few minutes of yesterday's game stating something about a key play that Baye missed, which resulted in no points for us. Basically said that's a play that XMas dunks every time, but Baye can't do that. It would have either given us the lead or tied the game. Rak might as well not suit up if he's going to get in foul trouble. We need him out there.

I can't figure this team out anymore. Trevor can't hit a three. Ennis can't make his floaters. CJ can't make anything. We let awful teams out play us and look like Sweet Sixteen squads. Thank God that Grant is healthy. He is our go-to guy whether he likes it or not. CJ is very much like Kris Joseph in that he is a phenomenal role player, but making him the focal point of the offense causes him to force things, dribble too much, and generally disappear when we really need the points. I know he bailed us out of many games this season, but teams have obviously caught on to what he does. He is not a comfortable off the dribble guy. Not lately, anyway.

Not sure how this game falls on Cooney. He has been shooting poorly of late and after he got hurt he likely shouldn't have been playing because he was having an even harder time on defense and moving to get open after the injury. However, this one is on the guy who shot 3-16 and missed a lot of super easy shots. There were times he could have passed and didn't as well. I think this one was personal because CJ was a pre-season player of the year playing against the POY. I think he took it personal and wanted to try and show him up. Didn't work...

Players are fair game for fair criticism.

The reason we lost last night appears simple:
the guys who should be our top 3 scoring options...CJ, Ennis and Cooney...shot a combined 10 for 40.
25%!
And it's not that they weren't getting good shots.

Everyone else was 8 for 15.

Generally, in order to win, we need good point production from at least 2 of our top 3 options.
Let's hope CJ's mid range jumper returns and TE finishes a little more.

I have no idea what the answer is for Cooney...or even if there is one.
I imagine they'll be comparing video of his Notre Dame game to recent performances.
Perhaps there is something to be learned.

That backline would have been insanity. MCW was an absolute game changer at the top too.

Not to mention that offense, sheesh.

Also, I just watched the final possession again. When Cooney passed up that open 3 to Ennis you could see an assistant (I think Hop, but the vid quality wasn't good) go absolute BS; he wanted Cooney to take it.
yeah he really didn't want that shot, tc i mean. seems I remember him tossing an airball @ the end of bc. not confidant right now

only problem was Otto was a woman...what was her name she was the one of the DJ's on 107.9 at the time
nicolewilcox.jpg

Nicole Wilcox then

nicole-wilcox.jpg

Nicole Wilcox now

Players are fair game for fair criticism.

the guys who should be our top 3 scoring options...CJ, Ennis and Cooney...shot a combined 10 for 40.
25%!
And it's not that they weren't getting good shots.

Everyone else was 8 for 15.

Generally, in order to win, we need good point production from at least 2 of our top 3 options.
Let's hope CJ's mid range jumper returns and TE finishes a little more.

I have no idea what the answer is for Cooney...or even if there is one.
I imagine they'll be comparing video of his Notre Dame game to recent performances.
Perhaps there is something to be learned.

Was it also Cooney who just stood and watched Tyler Lewis make 2 threes right in front of him?

...on his ninth - 9th - straight mediocre to subpar game.

It's been a looooooong time since a starter performing so well has flamed out so miserably for so long. Over a month. It's his third year in college, so truly disappointing and hard to imagine a streak ending magically after such a stretch of wince-inducing offense.

Sigh. Iv'e got an Idea have Jimmy Lee remind Boeheim how Danforth would sit up Picks for him

Go Orange.

SoBeCuse said:
Was it also Cooney who just stood and watched Tyler Lewis make 2 threes right in front of him?

Nope.

Trevor's problem is all mental at this point. He showed that with his pass to Ennis with :15 seconds left yesterday. He had the wide open look for the tie...and passed it up. Lack of confidence can kill a shooter.

Well, not all, but certainly much of it. While he has almost no confidence now, he's also had the other team's toughest perimeter defender in his grille every minute of every game for the last 15 or so games. Being a Gonzaga fan (also) I've seen that happen to Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp.

Not sure if focusing on defending 3s by Lewis would have been part of the game plan. More like let him shoot those all day (.233 three point shooter), unfortunately he made 2/3.

Watching other teams run their offenses the 3-point shooters aren't running from one side of the baseline to the other and to the top of the key. Most teams allow the 3-point shooter to be set at the line by working the ball inside out. Very rarely do we see that in the SU offensive sets. The degree of difficulty is reduced and the shooters aren't drifting.

Remember JB himself said it after the UND game. You won't see Trevor get free like that again. He took advantage of a slow footed freshman.

Last edited:
25%!

I know this is sexy to do b/c it makes the numbers worst, but the top 3 scoring options on this team are C.J., Grant and Ennis. Cooney is # 4 and has always been # 4.

So, let that sink in for a minute for everyone complaining about Cooney and what your expectations for the # 4 scoring option is.

Well, not all, but certainly much of it. While he has almost no confidence now, he's also had the other team's toughest perimeter defender in his grille every minute of every game for the last 15 or so games. Being a Gonzaga fan (also) I've seen that happen to Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp.

That's another excellent point, my bovine municipality friend. Very true. They have been running him ragged.