Congrats to Trevor Cooney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to Trevor Cooney

I know this is s e x y to do b/c it makes the numbers worst, but the top 3 scoring options on this team are C.J., Grant and Ennis. Cooney is # 4 and has always been # 4.

So, let that sink in for a minute for everyone complaining about Cooney and what your expectations for the # 4 scoring option is.

Cooney was the #2 scoring option ahead of Grant (who wasn't even a starter until DaJuan got hurt) and Ennis (the facilitaor) to begin the season. That has now changed for obvious reasons. Ennis is now trying to force more shots as there has been no production from the backcourt.

Cooney's been a pretty awful guard as a whole as of late.

Orangeyes said:
Watching other teams run their offenses the 3-point shooters aren't running from one side of the baseline to the other and to the top of the key. Most teams allow the 3-point shooter to be set at the line by working the ball inside out. Very rarely do we see that in the SU offensive sets. The degree of difficulty is reduced and the shooters aren't drifting. Remember JB himself said it after the UND game. You won't see Trevor get free like that again. He took advantage of a slow footed freshman.

That's because we play zone. Everyone elated us m2m especially when Cooney is in. Cooney hadn't seen a zone all season.

Cooney was the #2 scoring option ahead of Grant (who wasn't even a starter until DaJuan got hurt) and Ennis (the facilitaor) to begin the season. That has now changed for obvious reasons. Ennis is now trying to force more shots as there has been no production from the backcourt.

So Dion Waiters, who wasn't even a starter, wasn't a top 3 scoring option his year?

So Dion Waiters, who wasn't even a starter, wasn't a top 3 scoring option his year?

You are comparing apples to oranges -- and I'm pretty sure you know this. Jerami Grant in no way shape or form was meant to be a Dion scorer off the bench to start the season..and to say Ennis was a go-to scoring option over our starting shooting guard is just plain wrong.

You are comparing apples to oranges -- and I'm pretty sure you know this. Jerami Grant in no way shape or form was meant to be a Dion scorer off the bench to start the season..and to say Ennis was a go-to scoring option over our starting shooting guard is just plain wrong.

What? I am pretty sure everyone expected Grant to be the primary scorer in the 6th man role that JB has used for one of his primary scoring options. Otherwise, why the heck were people expecting him to go to the NBA preseason? If you don't want to compare him to Waiters, then compare him to Joseph.

You compiled numbers for the NC State game... Do you not agree those are our 3 primary scorers at this stage of the season (Fair, Grant, Ennis)? Pre-season, sure, Cooney might have been ahead of Ennis (and an emphasis on might). Ennis passed Cooney b/c Ennis proved to be a better scorer then people thought he would be.

I mean, to use pre-season scorer expectations for a 1 game look (in the conference tourney) at FG % is ridiculous when Fair and Grant have the most plays run for them and Ennis is the guy who takes shots when the shot clock runs down (so he doesn't need plays run for him).

Cooney is the 4th scorer on this team. I can accept an argument that Cooney is 3B (I have always thought we had 4 scorers and that is why we were tough to beat b/c what were the odds 3 would be off 1 game).

It is honestly irrelevant what # scoring option Cooney is.

His role is to make enough perimeter shots to keep teams from building a defensive fortress in the paint, to help open up the offense so Fair and Grant can be more effective going to the basket.

[quote="PeteCalvin, post: 987337, member: 439"I'm more worried about CJ, to be totally honest. He's our go-to guy and has been butt ass cold for weeks. [/quote]

This just isn't true. Was CJ terrible against NC State? Yes. But he also had 22 pts on 9/13 shooting against FSU and 28 pts on 12/25 against Georgia Tech. He's been up and down since conference play began but "butt a** cold for weeks" is inaccurate at best.

TinyManInside said:
It is honestly irrelevant what # scoring option Cooney is. His role is to make enough perimeter shots to keep teams from building a defensive fortress in the paint, to help open up the offense so Fair and Grant can be more effective going to the basket.

And according to JB that's exactly what he does, even when his shot isn't falling (although obviously he'd rather the shots go in). The attention given to Cooney keeps that man from sagging off and helping out. You could see the difference vs NCST. When G was in his defender barely paid attention to him on the perimeter. Noticeable difference from when Cooney is in.

I am frustrated more that I've seen nothing new done to get him looks without him having to sprint around all day. All we do is have him go back and forth along the baseline curling to the 3 point line with a pick that usually doesn't get him open. Then we wonder if it's possible that he could have jello legs for the few open looks he gets. Why not use him and CJ to run a pick-and-role or two? There's nothing in the rule book that mandates all pick-and-rolls must be run with the point guard and an offensively challenged center. CJ could have the option to roll to the basket where he finishes better than either of our centers or pop to the baseline for a jumper. If his man doesn't hedge well enough Cooney gets an open look without have to sprint, catch, and shoot faster than a blink. The other thing I hate seeing is him coming off a pick, up faking when he's not open, taking to dribbles away from the basket, and passing it back to Ennis. He needs to make teams think twice about always going over the top of the pick by actually dribbling toward the basket and making himself a threat(and the coaches need to actually coach him to do this). Why doesn't someone with his hops go to the basket more?

And according to JB that's exactly what he does, even when his shot isn't falling (although obviously he'd rather the shots go in). The attention given to Cooney keeps that man from sagging off and helping out. You could see the difference vs NCST. When G was in his defender barely paid attention to him on the perimeter. Noticeable difference from when Cooney is in.
I know I'm being repetitive, but this is exactly why use him in pick-and-roll situations could work with him.

"Honestly our 1-5 talent is as good as anyone in the country; our depth is bad right now. "

our depth is fine. dino breath wont play them. if u think i'm wrong, picking on poor jimmy, grant didn't play especially meaning full minites until a southerland injury. many other examples too