Connolly ACC preview | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Connolly ACC preview

Here's how SU compares in returning production compared to the schedule according to Bill C

SU = 82%

Ohio = 80%
Rutgers = 92%
Albany = N/A
Liberty = 88%
FSU = 77%
Wake = 86%
Clemson = 68%
Virginia Tech = 72%
BC = 81%
Louisville = 72%
NC State = 77%
Pittsburgh = 75%

Here's how SU compares in returning production compared to the schedule according to Bill C

SU = 82%

Ohio = 80%
Rutgers = 92%
Albany = N/A
Liberty = 88%
FSU = 77%
Wake = 86%
Clemson = 68%
Virginia Tech = 72%
BC = 81%
Louisville = 72%
NC State = 77%
Pittsburgh = 75%
Yep.

this is the counterargument to those thinking we’re bound to have a better season because of the 5th years we return

Yep.

this is the counterargument to those thinking we’re bound to have a better season because of the 5th years we return

I mean it's still favorable to us, yeah it's not as big of a boost that we think it is, but it is still a boost. And what's interesting is that we still have a decently young roster with guys that can get better, like at CB and WR obviously.

Last edited:
Yep.

The other counter-argument is that we’re returning 82% of the production from a terrible football team. Kind of an irrelevant number this year (maybe most years), imo.

Yep.

Alternatively, we return production at the most important positions (QB, OL, DL) and most of the production is in year 4,5,6 which is not captured by this stat.

I look at returning senior+ linemen or QBs like centers in basketball. Worst case scenario is they become serviceable even if they have been a bit disappointing to that point.

If both lines become serviceable, our QB will look very good (both of them)

Cuse coming in at #44.

tenor (2).gif

I am a firm believer that this will be a much improved football team and we win at least 6, if not 7 games this year

The roster says that's possible. It will come down to morale and culture.

Last year set us back a mile as a program.

We must be competitive against ACC teams this year, or he has to go.

Last year was about making lemonade out of lemons

It was a free year and we traded perception for experience
But it was a free year for every team.

We weren’t the only team with injuries. Pitt had something like 30 players out last year including an All American who opted out because of covid. They were still able to beat us and win 6 games.

It’s good to be an optimistic, glass half full fan and I always try to look at the positives but last year was not good and perception doesn’t help with recruiting or the fan base

This is the simplest most accurate explanation of last year.

We will find out if the trade was worth it. If we win 8+ games, we will know the answer and the first 4 games will tell us whether 8 is attainable.
There really was no trade, because there was no choice.

There really was no trade, because there was no choice.
That’s just not Factually accurate

Any team who fell under a certain number of healthy players at a position group could tap out and we pretended injured oline guys were healthy and fullbacks were lineman, just to get on the field.

We were well within our rights to tap out and write off the season and associated developement. They collectively decided to play, knowing what the likely outcome was but decided the trade off was worth it.

good lord man, he's 76 years old FFS, maybe he can bring back Osborne to run his defense, he's only 84
JBs doing OK. Alright 76 is a little old. How about P and George we can go with a youth movement
Actually my pick would be Joe Moorehead. Think he would do very well.

But it was a free year for every team.

We weren’t the only team with injuries. Pitt had something like 30 players out last year including an All American who opted out because of covid. They were still able to beat us and win 6 games.

It’s good to be an optimistic, glass half full fan and I always try to look at the positives but last year was not good and perception doesn’t help with recruiting or the fan base
Not really. The point they’re making is that we were starting double digit freshman. I think (without checking) we had 20plus true and redshirt freshman on the two deep. We could’ve not played but we chose to play, roll with the freshman, take our lumps and gave a ton of young kids a boatload of game experience they otherwise never would’ve had.

That’s just not Factually accurate

Any team who fell under a certain number of healthy players at a position group could tap out and we pretended injured oline guys were healthy and fullbacks were lineman, just to get on the field.

We were well within our rights to tap out and write off the season and associated developement. They collectively decided to play, knowing what the likely outcome was but decided the trade off was worth it.
I don’t agree. That would have just been quitting on the season. “Tapping out” was meant for COVID related issues which we didn’t really have.
Sure we could have quit but it would have been quitting. Yes players got much needed experience, that’s what happens when you play your schedule of games.
If we are just as bad or have the same injury issues half way through this season are we going to forfeit the rest of the season? No of course not.

Not really. The point they’re making is that we were starting double digit freshman. I think (without checking) we had 20plus true and redshirt freshman on the two deep. We could’ve not played but we chose to play, roll with the freshman, take our lumps and gave a ton of young kids a boatload of game experience they otherwise never would’ve had.
If we started more freshmen than Pitt is that because Narduzzi knows how to manage a roster better than Dino and they had more depth?

I guess I just feel that saying we had to start 20 freshmen because we didn’t have anyone else to play isn’t a great look in year 5 and not the best excuse

But it was great to see players like Sean Tucker and Garrett Williams do so well for sure.

If we started more freshmen than Pitt is that because Narduzzi knows how to manage a roster better than Dino and they had more depth?

I guess I just feel that saying we had to start 20 freshmen because we didn’t have anyone else to play isn’t a great look in year 5 and not the best excuse

But it was great to see players like Sean Tucker and Garrett Williams do so well for sure.
Yup all these freshman playing means nothing if we cant win this year, retain Dino and have more winning seasons with them as junior and seniors. Dino has to do a better job od developing players and managing the roster. When you dont you go 5-7 and 1-10 after a 10 win season.

This is the simplest most accurate explanation of last year.

We will find out if the trade was worth it. If we win 8+ games, we will know the answer and the first 4 games will tell us whether 8 is attainable.
8 is a bit much, but yes

I don’t agree. That would have just been quitting on the season. “Tapping out” was meant for COVID related issues which we didn’t really have.
Sure we could have quit but it would have been quitting. Yes players got much needed experience, that’s what happens when you play your schedule of games.
If we are just as bad or have the same injury issues half way through this season are we going to forfeit the rest of the season? No of course not.
Yeah, we didn’t quit on the season even though we had the opportunity. There are teams who used COVID to avoid playing all over the country. It was a choice to play and when you play that many young players you won’t likely win. In normal years you don’t want to burn their eligibility…

I don’t think anyone here is arguing that Narduzzi wasn’t in a better spot heading into 2020. They’ve recruited better than us on the back of more wins and are in a more talent rich state.

Should Dino just follow what he’s doing are do what’s right fit his team based on the cards dealt? You know the injury history with the OL. Recruiting misses and OL hire are on him, yes. But in 2020, given what he had to work with - I’m proud they decided to take some lumps and play for 2021.

Again, lots of teams didn’t play the schedule we did. 10 losses is always bad perception wise - but the alternative is lame too

Yup all these freshman playing means nothing if we cant win this year, retain Dino and have more winning seasons with them as junior and seniors. Dino has to do a better job od developing players and managing the roster. When you dont you go 5-7 and 1-10 after a 10 win season.
1-10*

In a normal year where the bottom falls out due to OL injuries we still win 3-4 just due to scheduling. I think a lot of people see those 10 losses as equal to ten under Gerg and it’s just not.

1-10*

In a normal year where the bottom falls out due to OL injuries we still win 3-4 just due to scheduling. I think a lot of people see those 10 losses as equal to ten under Gerg and it’s just not.

This. We had to ditch (almost) all the OCC games, and play ACC teams instead.

Coupled with horrible injury luck - especially at OL - meant we were going into many of those games with one arm behind our backs.

We seem to have enough bodies at all positions now to avoid that sorta calamity this year. Fingers and toes crossed.

1-10*

We also haven't recruited enough OL until the last recruiting class. We have needed more OL on the roster instead of 12 WR's-8 who barely touch the field. As opposed to the OL, where we use 5 every game and we generally need 2 years for the guys we bring in to be physically ready to contribute. Should be bringing in 4-5 every class. We also have to bring some quality there, as well.

1-10*

I dont need to see those 2 OOC wins to make me feel better about last season. I totally understand what happened and know the difference between G rob teams and Dino teams. The true fans know we werent a real 1-10 team but the outside world just sees 1-10. They dont follow Cuse football the way we do. There is no way I can avoid typing 1-10. That was our record lol. We cant get sensitive when we see it.

But you missed the point of why I mentioned the record. 5-7 and 1-10 shows that we DID NOT develop the team enough to sustain. 2019 should have not been a 5 win team. If we had better depth and development at O line, QB and Wr positions we wouldnt have been historically bad and at least decent last year. The good thing is Dino knows this and he has made the necessary changes. Im hoping to see good results the next few years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom