Connolly ACC preview | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Connolly ACC preview

Right, that is their impression. I am interested in how good a team actually is.
Not if you’re overly worried about the impression of getting to a bowl vs not. Bowls are worse at distinguishing how good a team is than w/l. Every year a lot of lower G5 schools get passed over for a .500 P5 school because of bowl tie-ins and name recognition

Dont try to change the narractive lol. You said records doesnt indicate what type of team you are. Ive never heard that ever. Please explain yourself so I can get a better understanding of your thought process.
I think there is more to the story than a team’s record. It shouldn’t be a controversial point.

I think his record with Dungey is better than without. Shafer too. What would Marrone be without Nassib or P without McNabb?
I am interested in that information as well.

I do think it’s a more relevant question regarding Barbers because he was sold as an offensive guru. I am interested in whether his offensive success is due more to his scheme or his great quarterback.

I think there is more to the story than a team’s record. It shouldn’t be a controversial point.
Well duh but you make it sound like records means nothing. Like we are fooling everyone in college football. Dont mind our record. We are national champs because there is more to wins and losses.. I guess every team is national champs. Lol.

Well duh but you make it sound like records means nothing. Like we are fooling everyone in college football. Dont mind our record. We are national champs because there is more to wins and losses.. I guess every team is national champs. Lol.
You said "you are what our record shows," which implies that it's all that matters. I said I disagree. You must be talking to someone else.

You said "you are what our record shows," which implies that it's all that matters. I said I disagree. You must be talking to someone else.
You are what your records shows and saying that does not indicate that’s all that matters to me. If it was all that matters I wouldn’t be so invested in SU football after 11 losing seasons in 15 years. Lol. But I am sorry to inform you that sports do come down to wins and losses. That’s what people see initially. Now if you researched each team you will get a better understanding of how close they were to winning more or less games or how many injuries they had that hindered their ability to win. How many turnovers, takeaways, explosive plays the team had or which team won the LOS. Ultimately all those things contributes to wins and losses. You make bowl games and playoffs based on how many games you win. You increase seasons ticket sales for delivering a winning product. My bad for telling you this. I just thought you knew.

Last edited:
You are what your records shows and saying that does not indicate that’s all that matters to me. If it was all that matters I wouldn’t be so invested in SU football after 11 losing seasons in 15 years. Lol. But I am sorry to inform you that sports do come down to wins and losses. That’s what people see initially. Now if you researched each team you will get a better understanding of how close they were to winning more or less games or how many injuries they had that hindered their ability to win. How many turnovers, takeaways, explosive plays the tram had. Which team won the LOS. Ultimately all those things contributes to wins and losses. You make bowl games and playoffs based on how many games you win. You increase seasons ticket sales for delivering a winning product. My bad for telling you this. I just thought you knew.
Cool GIF

I think his record with Dungey is better than without. Shafer too. What would Marrone be without Nassib or P without McNabb?

I don’t give a lot of weight to inheriting a player or not. It’s what you do with what you have. I think it’s more fair to hold him accountable for the lack of a good backup than it is for walking into a program with Dungey.
Yup, his record is also better when Tommy plays than when a backup starts

I am interested in that information as well.

I do think it’s a more relevant question regarding Barbers because he was sold as an offensive guru. I am interested in whether his offensive success is due more to his scheme or his great quarterback.
Already did my homework for the day. Your turn.

connelly is good at breaking down what has happened and making predictions for the rest of a year after data is in. his projections before a season mean nothing and it's a joke that he pretends it does for clicks. wait until late october and his numbers will tell you who's lucky and who is good

Okay, y’all brought up Clemson in 2017….

but there’s a really bad loss in 2017 that everyone is forgetting… Middle Tennessee.

with that being said, I love Dino. I want Dino to be so successful here it almost hurts.

get us to 6-6 minimum this year and let’s see what happens.

but there’s a really bad loss in 2017 that everyone is forgetting… Middle Tennessee.
I don’t think anyone who watched that season forgot the Middle Tennessee loss.

Cusian included it in his SRS analysis. The extent to which Clemson was a good win, was much greater than the extent to which MTSU was a bad loss.

with that being said, I love Dino. I want Dino to be so successful here it almost hurts.

get us to 6-6 minimum this year and let’s see what happens.
The thing about that loss is that it is only one of two in his first 3 seasons against mediocre to bad teams. I think I might do a deep dive on Syracuse coaches who lost these type games historically.

2019 is the head scratcher. I kind of think whatever got figured out in our offense and/or Dino wasn’t thinking he’d be around combined with the weird run of OL injuries really trucked the program

The thing about that loss is that it is only one of two in his first 3 seasons against mediocre to bad teams. I think I might do a deep dive on Syracuse coaches who lost these type games historically.
Yeah, Doug Marrone was the only one able to avoid a W-T-F loss. It helps that he was around for just four years and they were coming out of such a bad era they were rarely favored.

Yeah, Doug Marrone was the only one able to avoid a W-T-F loss. It helps that he was around for just four years and they were coming out of such a bad era they were rarely favored.
*I think this is right* - but I’m going to put his time through that same matrix. Sometimes our recollections are clouded.

*I think this is right* - but I’m going to put his time through that same matrix. Sometimes our recollections are clouded.
I did the homework a few years ago. I only looked at point spreads though, not SRS. I believe there were only two games lost during Marrone's tenure in which Syracuse was favored. Off the top of my head, I want to say Cincinnati 2011 and UConn 2010, but I could be mistaken.

We had some bad losses to mediocre teams. But losses to bad teams I would say that 2 stick out.

Louisville in 2009. We were a better team than them and that one hurt.

2011 losing to USF IMO was a What loss. We were their only Big East W that year and we got trounced by 20 points. We underachieved big time that year.

We had some bad losses to mediocre teams. But losses to bad teams I would say that 2 stick out.

Louisville in 2009. We were a better team than them and that one hurt.

2011 losing to USF IMO was a What loss. We were their only Big East W that year and we got trounced by 20 points. We underachieved big time that year.
Louisville was favored by 7.5.

USF was favored by 2.5.

Off the top of my head, I want to say Cincinnati 2011 and UConn 2010, but I could be mistaken.
I found another one. Syracuse was favored by 1.5 over Rutgers in 2011. None of these losses are W-T-Fs in my opinion.

wasnt the Pitt game the one we were rolling and then had some weather delay and Pitt was able to reset and then get a couple broken long TD plays and get back into the game and on top of that the kicker made the longest kicks in the stadiums history?

I did the homework a few years ago. I only looked at point spreads though, not SRS. I believe there were only two games lost during Marrone's tenure in which Syracuse was favored. Off the top of my head, I want to say Cincinnati 2011 and UConn 2010, but I could be mistaken.
SRS is going to be different as it looks at the whole season in retrospect, while the point spread was made based on Vegas opinion that week. Not bad or good - just different. Hope to get to it today. I also like including the “holy crap we won” games like the Teddy Bridgewater beat down.

wasnt the Pitt game the one we were rolling and then had some weather delay and Pitt was able to reset and then get a couple broken long TD plays and get back into the game and on top of that the kicker made the longest kicks in the stadiums history?

And Dungey fumbled because the refs let the play go on another 10 seconds while he wasn't moving but Pitt was trying to rip the ball out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom