Connolly ACC preview | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Connolly ACC preview

I'd say it's likely to be found on poor teams, sure. That's what contributes to being crappy. It's what happens when the D plays too much. The more bites at the apple the more big plays.

I'm not sure how it's an excuse - more like an explanation?

We also lost 3 NFL players from our secondary first half of the season. More bites of the apple vs first year players with no preseason in a scheme upperclassmen didn't know well enough to teach them.

Forgive me for having repressed most details of last year but the D played well enough for us to win at least 6 games last year I believe. Hopefully the offense has a pulse this year

What would you consider to be "success" with close to 50 freshman and fewer than a dozen seniors on the roster?

We changed our defensive scheme when we hired White as our DC a year ago and our personnel isn't set for the 3-3-5. It takes time to build a roster to fit a scheme.

In 2020 we went into the season with two new coordinators and no spring football to teach those systems
The Defense is the least of my concerns

Did that include playing time or just "on the roster"?
I didn’t examine total minutes of play. But if a guy is entering his 4th training camp with SU, for example, I don’t know why we’d call him “young” no matter how much he’s seen the field. Using the class designations is useless.

What would you consider to be "success" with close to 50 freshman and fewer than a dozen seniors on the roster?

We changed our defensive scheme when we hired White as our DC a year ago and our personnel isn't set for the 3-3-5. It takes time to build a roster to fit a scheme.

In 2020 we went into the season with two new coordinators and no spring football to teach those systems

Changing both coordinators in the same offseason was Dino’s choice.

That it happened in conjunction with Covid is terrible luck, so he gets that mulligan.

Need to show progress this year, not against 2020 (that should be obvious), but against 2019.

I really do think we will.

I didn’t examine total minutes of play. But if a guy is entering his 4th training camp with SU, for example, I don’t know why we’d call him “young” no matter how much he’s seen the field. Using the class designations is useless.
Relying on guys who are young is different than having a bunch of young guys on the roster.

We played a lot of true freshman last year - and we should have. It cost us nothing eligibility wise, just a lot of lump taking and negative press/message board angst.

You’re 100% that at some point experience matters more than age, class designation matters even less.

Dino’s been here for several years. Successful would be experienced depth, a functioning offense and a functioning defense. We have maybe 1 of those.
In a perfect world you’re correct. However, chit happens. In the real world success is rarely linear. Unrealistic expectations will usually lead to disappointment.

We did this math a few weeks ago. The team has far more experienced players (meaning 3 or more years in the program) than the roster designations let on. Youth is not an excuse.
3 or more years “in the program” isn’t as meaningful when we consider this is only year 2 with the new offensive and defensive coordinators.

3 or more years “in the program” isn’t as meaningful when we consider this is only year 2 with the new offensive and defensive coordinators.
Deleted my initial response because being negative is exhausting.

I hope you’re right. I’ll be at each home game regardless. Love White, not sold on Gilbert yet

It's certainly meaningful in terms of strength and conditioning, getting acclimated to the speed and physicality of the game, gaining valuable practice reps, and many other things.

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, but if the suggestion is that 6 wins is an unrealistic expectation then we fundamentally disagree.

It's certainly meaningful in terms of strength and conditioning, getting acclimated to the speed and physicality of the game, gaining valuable practice reps, and many other things.

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, but if the suggestion is that 6 wins is an unrealistic expectation then we fundamentally disagree.
Yeah, agree here. Game experience is nice, but the vast majority of improvement comes from coaching up the skills, understanding the speed/complexity of the level/playbook and most of all physical maturity.

I was a much better athlete in every single sport i played at 20 vs 18 and i didn’t have the benefit of professional training or coaching in any respect.

We are a much more mature team this year, particularly on both the lines and QB where it matters most. If Dino is who we all thought he was the first 3 years (and when he was hired) we are more likely to have a pop this year (8-10 wins) than another disappointment (sub .500).

Last edited:

I too hope we can win six and qualify for a bowl game.

Which six do you think we win?

The Defense is the least of my concerns
I would feel this way if trill stayed. I do think half of the secondary is a concern and honestly, the DL is until they prove it. Those guys have been around and need to prove they can play the gaps and hold up against the run.

In a perfect world you’re correct. However, chit happens. In the real world success is rarely linear. Unrealistic expectations will usually lead to disappointment.
Unrealistic expectations? All anyone on here wants is 6 wins and a bowl game. Sometimes we could win 8, sometimes 5. I don’t think that’s unrealistic

What do you consider to be realistic?

I mean you aren’t wrong

But it’s also important to note that our defense has steadily been getting better.

now we need Dino who is supposedly an offensive guy to figure out his stuff on that side of the ball and maybe we start seeing some things happen……I hope..
Lewis was a big loss.

Unrealistic expectations? All anyone on here wants is 6 wins and a bowl game. Sometimes we could win 8, sometimes 5. I don’t think that’s unrealistic

I think he's suggesting that your expectations are realistic - but the chances of things hitting the fan every once in a while can't be discounted. Our floor is low due to our natural disadvantages. Ohio St loses 4 OL and a starting QB, they lose 3 and end up in an ok bowl. We lose that and can't win 3.

I too hope we can win six and qualify for a bowl game.

Which six do you think we win?
Good question. I think (hope!) we have a narrow but achievable path to six wins.

First, we have to win at least 3 of the OOC games. Ideally we take all 4, but I'm worried about stubbing our toe in the opener, losing to Rutgers, and/or embarrassing ourselves again vs. Liberty. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we were 2-2 in OOC play, but we gotta get 3.

After that, I'd say beating Wake, BC and Pitt, all at home, is the path to 6. It won't be easy, but those should all be peer programs that we are capable of taking down, especially in the Dome.

Anything beyond that is probably gravy.

Good question. I think (hope!) we have a narrow but achievable path to six wins.

First, we have to win at least 3 of the OOC games. Ideally we take all 4, but I'm worried about stubbing our toe in the opener, losing to Rutgers, and/or embarrassing ourselves again vs. Liberty. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we were 2-2 in OOC play, but we gotta get 3.

After that, I'd say beating Wake, BC and Pitt, all at home, is the path to 6. It won't be easy, but those should all be peer programs that we are capable of taking down, especially in the Dome.

Anything beyond that is probably gravy.
We easily could lose 3 of 4, should never open on the road. Being in a power 5 conference, 1st game should always be at home. Get set up for the season.

We easily could lose 3 of 4, should never open on the road. Being in a power 5 conference, 1st game should always be at home. Get set up for the season.
Well, let's just say that if we lose 3 of 4 OOC games, Dino's fate is set.

In terms of opening on the road... yeah, in an ideal world we open at home. But we have 7 home games this season, and sometimes the schedule can't be 100% perfect. I know Ohio is pretty good, but a P5 team should be able to beat a MAC team on the road, no matter when it is played.

Hopes and expectations are different. I want and hope for the type of improvement that will bring at least six wins and a bowl invitation to this team. Is a Holiday Bowl invitation hoping for too much?

To answer your question, I honestly don't know what a realistic expectation is for this team. 1) I'm too new here, and 2) There are too many unknowns with this team.
  • Who will the QB be?
  • Has the o-line improved?
  • Are our young LBs and DBs ready to step up and perform (without the leadership of Melifonwu, Cisco and T. Williams)?
  • What contributions do we get from our incoming transfers; Bleich (OL), Tyler (OL), Shrader (QB) and Simmons (LB/S)?
  • What is the status of Lee Kpogba, suspended indefinitely?

I'm looking forward to camp opening on August 6th. There appears to have been significant turnover on the roster. Let's see who is here in August.

Relying on guys who are young is different than having a bunch of young guys on the roster.

We played a lot of true freshman last year - and we should have. It cost us nothing eligibility wise, just a lot of lump taking and negative press/message board angst.

You’re 100% that at some point experience matters more than age, class designation matters even less.

I sure hope DeVito's "experience" kicks in soon.

Hopes and expectations are different. I want and hope for the type of improvement that will bring at least six wins and a bowl invitation to this team. Is a Holiday Bowl invitation hoping for too much?

To answer your question, I honestly don't know what a realistic expectation is for this team. 1) I'm too new here, and 2) There are too many unknowns with this team.
  • Who will the QB be?
  • Has the o-line improved?
  • Are our young LBs and DBs ready to step up and perform (without the leadership of Melifonwu, Cisco and T. Williams)?
  • What contributions do we get from our incoming transfers; Bleich (OL), Tyler (OL), Shrader (QB) and Simmons (LB/S)?
  • What is the status of Lee Kpogba, suspended indefinitely?

I'm looking forward to camp opening on August 6th. There appears to have been significant turnover on the roster. Let's see who is here in August.
I think Marrone’s record here is realistic. A couple 8 win seasons and 4 and 5 wins the other two. If that was Dino’s record I don’t think many would complain

Big East vs ACC and facilities have been talked about ad nauseam but at some point we have to expect to at least be a .500 team in the ACC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom