Controversial end-game call seals Ole Miss loss to Tennessee | Syracusefan.com

Controversial end-game call seals Ole Miss loss to Tennessee

I've watched this several times and I can't figure it out why it's controversial. The Tenn player is literally standing there as the Ole Miss guy jumps into him. Easy call. (But I agree with the post above about it being technically a stupid play...can't take a risk the ref might mess up)

SEND THE CHARGE INTO THE SUN IT IS NOT DEFENSE 28 FEET FROM THE BASKET.

You guys would be okay if Syracuse lost this way? Get out of here. The call is horrendous. A defender is absolutely not taught, 28 feet from the basket, to jump into a spot, set his feet, and get run over. Horrible horrible call. They need to get rid of taking charges in this fashion

IMO that is a block. The fact that a charge is rarely black and white is why they need to get rid of it. That’s not defense. Just have a player control foul for wildly going at the rim. That will still be called wrong but at least it cleans up the perimeter charges which are never called right.

I would be annoyed that my favorite team lost, but it doesn't change the fact that a defender has just as much right to that spot on the floor as the offensive player whether its 1 foot from the basket or 70 feet from the basket.

Then why when teams are fouling at the end of the game, do refs not call a shooting foul when the offensive player tries to hoist up a shot from 30-40-50 feet away? Frank Howard recently did it when he knew a team was going to use it's remaining fouls and the refs didn't give him a shooting foul

Why?

Because it's not a natural basketball play.

Taking a charge 28 feet from the basket shouldn't even be an option. It's bogus

why when teams are fouling at the end of the game, do refs not call a shooting foul when the offensive player tries to hoist up a shot from 30-40-50 feet away?

99% of the time when that happens, the player wasn't actually in the process of shooting, they are just trying to sell a continuation to the refs.

99% of the time when that happens, the player wasn't actually in the process of shooting, they are just trying to sell a continuation to the refs.

We won't agree and that's fine - I just hate the charge call in general. It shouldn't be defense. There can still be offensive fouls but a player standing there trying to get run over is not defense.

Then why when teams are fouling at the end of the game, do refs not call a shooting foul when the offensive player tries to hoist up a shot from 30-40-50 feet away? Frank Howard recently did it when he knew a team was going to use it's remaining fouls and the refs didn't give him a shooting foul

Why?

Often because the shooter in that situation starts the shooting motion after being fouled, not before. Frank's was close. Shooters have gotten that call before, more so in the NBA.

There's nothing more natural, imo, than a defender putting himself between the ball handler and the spot he wants to go. Defenders are entitled to their space. Offensive players are obligated to go around them. Fundamental basketball.

I wouldn't be upset with the call if Cuse was in Ole Miss' shoes. It was the only call the ref could make. A block call would have been infinitely more egregious because the defender was set well before the shooting motion began.

The contact didn't affect the shot. The dude just missed.

Under the rules it's a charge, but I hate the play.
Why do you hate the play? It was about as obvious as it gets. That's actually an old-school charge - feet set for at least a full second, standing straight up and the shooter just plowed into him. When you're defending a last second shot you want to make the shooter take an off balance shot. Making him go around you is a sound strategy.

Why?

That's not even close to accurate.

SEND THE CHARGE INTO THE SUN IT IS NOT DEFENSE 28 FEET FROM THE BASKET.

You guys would be okay if Syracuse lost this way? Get out of here. The call is horrendous. A defender is absolutely not taught, 28 feet from the basket, to jump into a spot, set his feet, and get run over. Horrible horrible call. They need to get rid of taking charges in this fashion
Yes, they are. Sealing off a lane was taught to us back in the 70s. Here's a specific example: you're playing a full court press, the on ball defender forces the dribbler towards the sideline as he's coming up court. A second defender sets up at the midcourt line right in his path to either force a trap or draw a charge. That's basketball 101, or at least it used to be.

Oh okay cool thank you for all of that insight!
That defense was not bogus at all. See my other replies in this thread. I'm starting to see why so few players nowadays lack fundamentals.

That defense was not bogus at all. See my other replies in this thread. I'm starting to see why so few players nowadays lack fundamentals.

Okay but hear me out

it's stupid defense

Imagine in the NFL if corner backs were allowed to set their feet and get run over and get an OPI ... how silly would that look in todays football?

Now imagine a world where guys didn't plant their feet, cross their arms, and get run over?

Imagine instead guys were taught to just go straight up, and officials called less fouls on that or gave NCAA players 6 fouls instead of 5

Edit: I said imagine a lot right there... but IMAGINE would ya?

Okay but hear me out

it's stupid defense

Imagine in the NFL if corner backs were allowed to set their feet and get run over and get an OPI ... how silly would that look in todays football?

Now imagine a world where guys didn't plant their feet, cross their arms, and get run over?

Imagine instead guys were taught to just go straight up, and officials called less fouls on that or gave NCAA players 6 fouls instead of 5

Yeah but football isn’t basketball. That’s supposed to be a good thing.

Okay but hear me out

it's stupid defense

What you're describing is playground basketball. It's fun to play, sure, but it's not something I'd like to see in competitive leagues. Basketball players know the difference between the two and adjust play accordingly. Always have.
And football does have similar rules that protect a defenders right to space.

Okay but hear me out

it's stupid defense

Arm placement doesn't matter. If Chukwu is defending a shot by planting his feet and putting his arms straight up, that's good defense, right? Right. If the shooter runs him over that's a charge. If Chukwu covers his nuts and gets run over, now it's not a charge?

The shooter was undercut while attempting the three. That's a block. Didn't help that it was a poorly officiated game in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom