cooney 3 pt stats (outlier city) | Syracusefan.com

cooney 3 pt stats (outlier city)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millhouse

Living Legend
For the season, he shot 38% from 3.

I thought it would be interesting to sort his games by 3 pt % and see how it spreads out

3 pt % for worst 8 games (roughly 1/4 the season) = 10% from 3

Worst 17 games (roughly 1/2 the season) = 17% from 3

Worst 26 games (roughly 3/4 the season) = 26%

His worst 28 games (80% of the season) = 29%

His respectable season 3pt shooting percentage comes from 7 games where he shot 75%.

Great example of how averages don't tell you everything.

I thought it would be interesting to sort his games by 3 pt % and see how it spreads out

His respectable season 3pt shooting percentage comes from 7 games where he shot 75%.

I did something similar not long ago - http://syracusefan.com/threads/cooneys-average-game-from-three-point-range.71532/

Another angle, via Grantland.

2. Trevor Cooney was Syracuse’s MVP.

Cooney’s shooting percentages in Syracuse wins vs. Syracuse losses this season:

FG% in wins: 43%
FG% in losses: 24.5% (12-49)

3FG% in wins: 41.4%
3FG% in losses: 16.2% (6-37)

There are plenty of reasons why Syracuse collapsed after starting 25-0, but Cooney’s struggles should be near the top of that list.

http://grantland.com/features/ncaa-...s-kentucky-wichita-state-louisville-michigan/

Cooney was special against Villanova and Notre Dame, but the rest of our ACC games I honestly didn't feel he played great. He was our only threat from deep, but he wasn't consistent.

Very, very good post! Good to read something from someone who actually understands how to use/interpret Statistics. Mean average isn't such a good descriptor for highly skewed distributions.

The Stats also tell the story of a three pointer shooter who was either hot or cold. Seven games >74% and 8 games <11%.

The hypothesis should be how many games did he shoot over 33 percent as that is what equals 50 percent two point shooting.

If you do that he shot over 33% in 18 games (72-131 for 55%)

He shot less than 33% in 16 games (18-109 for 16.5%)

Consistency is the issue, but he has 2 more years so he should improve just like every other Syracuse player always does the longer they are in the program.

The hypothesis should be how many games did he shoot over 33 percent as that is what equals 50 percent two point shooting.

If you do that he shot over 33% in 18 games (72-131 for 55%)

He shot less than 33% in 16 games (18-109 for 16.5%)

Consistency is the issue, but he has 2 more years so he should improve just like every other Syracuse player always does the longer they are in the program.
i don't think a hard line like that tells you as much because he's so volatile.

would much rather have someone alternating between 3-10 and 3-8 but he's so all over the place

It would obviously be nice if Trevor was much more consistent, but barring major improvement in other areas of his game, like ball handling and getting to the rim, I think he would be best suited as a 6th man. If he's hot from deep, let him get big minutes in that game, but if he's off, get him out quickly.

Mathematical gymnastics can be done for anyone and groupings can be arbitrary. So I quickly did it for CJ.

He shot 43% for the year for all shots. That in itself is worse than someone shooting 38% from 3 especially since 1/2 his shots come from in close, but so be it.

Using the same breakout of 8, 17, 28 and best 7, quickly done I get;

25%
32%
38%

59%

It took those 7 games just to get to a pedestrian 43%.

Not very good nor consistent for your leading scorer and the guy who the offense ran through and took the most shots.

i don't think a hard line like that tells you as much because he's so volatile.

would much rather have someone alternating between 3-10 and 3-8 but he's so all over the place
Just want to make sure I'm following your line of thinking in two separate threads -

You want more volatile results out of Boeheim, and more consistent results out of Cooney.

Mathematical gymnastics can be done for anyone and groupings can be arbitrary. So I quickly did it for CJ.

He shot 43% for the year for all shots. That in itself is worse than someone shooting 38% from 3 especially since 1/2 his shots come from in close, but so be it.

25%
32%
38%

59%

Not very good nor consistent for your leading scorer and the guy who the offense ran through and took the most shots.

Fair went from being perhaps the most consistent and efficient SU player ever, to the opposite.

25%
32%
38%

59%

38 and 59 are closer together than 29 and 75

fair didn't shoot well from 3 and didn't shoot much from three.

his worst 14 games he was 0-31 from 3

his best 9 games, he was 56% from 3

Just want to make sure I'm following your line of thinking in two separate threads -

You want more volatile results out of Boeheim, and more consistent results out of Cooney.
sure. which makes sense considering they're opposite ends of the consistency spectrum

Millhouse said:
38 and 59 are closer together than 29 and 75 fair didn't shoot well from 3 and didn't shoot much from three. his worst 14 games he was 0-31 from 3 his best 9 games, he was 56% from 3

You discount the fact it is easier to score the closer to the basket you get. A real good center will shoot 60%, a real good 3 point shooter will shoot 40%. Plus for all shooters, volume comes into play especially when the volume gets closer to the basket.

By the time Cooney is a senior we may very well be saying he's the best outside threat SU has ever had. Not at the moment, but maybe then.

I believe a team needs at least two legitimate 3 pt threats to be in good shape. SU didn't have that this year and didn't have it last year either even tho the team made it to the final 4. With Rautins and Wes Johnson, SU was golden. That team lost because of depth issues when AO went down. With GMac and Melo and to some extent Duany, that team was golden and the results showed it. Got to have a couple guys who can knock it down from deep so if one guy has a down game the other might pick things up. It probably also takes pressure off as one doesn't feel like the only guy on the team that has to knock down 3s in order to keep the defenses honest.

Next year's team needs someone to step up and become and real threat from deep besides Cooney.

You discount the fact it is easier to score the closer to the basket you get. A real good center will shoot 60%, a real good 3 point shooter will shoot 40%. Plus for all shooters, volume comes into play especially when the volume gets closer to the basket.
obviously closer shots are easier. which is why i thought your post was kind of silly. you showed that fair was more consistent hitting 2s than cooney was at 3s. get out of town, i don't believe it.

i gave you fair's three point numbers because i had them handy and you probably didn't

image.jpg

MonsterGame said:
By the time Cooney is a senior we may very well be saying he's the best outside threat SU has ever had. Not at the moment, but maybe then. I believe a team needs at least two legitimate 3 pt threats to be in good shape. SU didn't have that this year and didn't have it last year either even tho the team made it to the final 4. With Rautins and Wes Johnson, SU was golden. That team lost because of depth issues when AO went down. With GMac and Melo and to some extent Duany, that team was golden and the results showed it. Got to have a couple guys who can knock it down from deep so if one guy has a down game the other might pick things up. It probably also takes pressure off as one doesn't feel like the only guy on the team that has to knock down 3s in order to keep the defenses honest. Next year's team needs someone to step up and become and real threat from deep besides Cooney.
I think when Cooney is done here he will be one of the best. There is no doubt he can fix this and has the work ethic to do so.

obviously closer shots are easier. which is why i thought your post was kind of silly. you showed that fair was more consistent hitting 2s than cooney was at 3s. get out of town, i don't believe it.

i gave you fair's three point numbers because i had them handy and you probably didn't

Maybe I have this confused but isnt Bees saying that Fair wasnt efficient enough and should have been more efficient because its easier to hit 2's then 3's?

25%
32%
38%

59%

How often did he get to the line and what was his % and ppg there.

What were Cooney's numbers versus BCS schools, Big East schools?

I don't care if Cooney was good against Cornell or Colgate as he is a better than those kids. What were his numbers against good competition. I know he dominated against Villanova and Notre Dame, but about all of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom