Cooney...a thought. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney...a thought.

Personally, I think he needs a sports psychologist, I think a lot of it is nerves. I don't disagree that weight lifting could also be a problem though. Has anyone here tried to shoot basketballs a day or 2 after lifting? Cant hit the broad side of a barn, or maybe I'm just a bad shooter ;). But I really think a sports physiologist would do a lot of good; relax him a little.
Please not this one though...:)

I don't know the physiological aspect of it, but it would seem to me that the constant breaking down and regeneration of muscle tissue would be be counterproductive in honing a skill that's based on muscle memory and precision.

The pure fan in me also is struggling to come up with great shooters who were workout beasts.

All we know is that he misses his shots in the games whether he is covered or open. His biggest problem is that most of the time he is not squared up to shoot properly. Last game he came down and shot twice with 30 seconds still on the clock. Then he got pulled and when he came back in, the next two times he had the ball, he drove to the hoop instead of hoisting it up.

He is quite capable of scoring when driving to the hoop or even faking from 3 and pulling up for a mid range jumper. What he is not capable of doing is scoring from 3. Call it psychology, call it muscle memory, call it rushing his shot and not being set properly. It might be a combination of everything. However, he still has game and needs to be able to use his other abilities for the team's good. It wouldn't bother me if he nor the team shot any more 3's this season. We have a good inside game and we can score if we are smart. We can play old man basketball.

urban96 said:
Does this team have one? I know the coaches in a way act as a psychologist but thats not their main focus. Seems like bringing one in couldnt hurt...

Yes the team has one and he's been there forever. JB addressed someone last year about Cooney and confidence etc. JB laughed and said Cooney was one of the most confident kids on the team.

I'm not buying the argument that weightlifting is screwing up Trevor's shot or that it will screw up any shooter's jumpshot.

We're not talking about muscle to the point that his flexibility is compromised; he's strong but he's not exactly a hulking dude with muscle on top of muscle. Triche loved the weight room and he proved to be a capable outside shooter.

I agree with the flexibility, as long as you aren't getting too bulky and losing flexibility I don't see how it's a concern. As a player who was mostly a shooter it's all mental. Days I shot well, it was just getting arc on the shot and watching it fall, days when I would miss it was all aiming and a flatter jump shot. Also talking about how many shots he makes on the machine or after practice is irrelevant to me. When you are shooting shots right after the other you get into a rythm. When you get one shot every five or six minutes of game time it's a completely different feeling. He's definitely pressing when he gets the looks and his shot is flat. I was a good shooter and hated shooting on the machine because it didn't help me at all. What helped me the most was catching taking a dribble or to and shooting or rounding off a cone like a screen was there and shooting. Even having a teammate running at me with his hand up was better than the machine. Standing still and shooting was always a waste of my time. As we all know shooting in a game is totally different than practice as well.

Brandon Triche had to see Robert Drummond to help tone down after his freshman year. Bulking too much from the weight room seriously impacts the mechanics of a basketball players shot and fluidity. I think Jake may possibly be on to something.

Cooney looks stiff shooting the ball. His shots are much flatter that they were a couple of years ago. I watched him warming up at the start of the second half the other night and he hit the front rim on 7 straight shots. He appears to be muscling the ball instead of letting it go and let his follow through do the work. On most of his shots his shoulders are going away from the basket. He never appears to land where he takes off after he shoots. He's hitting the front rim way too much. Besides the weight gain, I think another factor is that the team hardly ever practices in the dome. If you think about it, we haven't really shot the ball very well over the past few years.

Maybe try underhanded?

Seriously, I think it's mental. You can see his reaction when he makes one, it's like the weight of the world was lifted off his shoulders for a second. He's the Chuck Knoblauch of shooting guards right now.

I wish Trevor would use his guide hand a little bit more. Watch him in warm-ups and then watch him in live game situations. It's a nice, fluid stroke in warm-ups where everything is in-sync. In game situations, he takes his guide hand off the ball way too early. Would explain why he is missing shots left and right of the basket, even when he is lined up and perfectly balanced.

Two things:

1.) I was always taught to stay away from weights during the season because it ruins your shot. I've seen it happen with others. And I always told my players the same thing.

2.) If you try to be mechanically perfect with your stroke, you end up "thinking about your shot" while you're shooting. A lot of us have been through that, and it's "hell in a very small place." There are certainly a few basic fundamentals (BEEF, etc) but mostly it's a "feel" thing, and in the few games I've seen, TC looks to be shooting like he has no feel for it.

1. It's like Luke Skywalker when he had to FEEL for the Force. There is a reason why so many of us loved that movie. It spoke many truths.

2. Practicing mindfulness is better than medication in terms of depression, a recent study showed. Mindfulness keeps you centered in the moment, and enhances your ability to do #1, above.

3. Igor brought this up a couple months ago. Sometimes Igor knows things.

1. It's like Luke Skywalker when he had to FEEL for the Force. There is a reason why so many of us loved that movie. It spoke many truths.

2. Practicing mindfulness is better than medication in terms of depression, a recent study showed. Mindfulness keeps you centered in the moment, and enhances your ability to do #1, above.

200_s.gif

On principle, I disagree with the bold text above.

This was my complaint about Triche. He spent too much time in the weight room and got too bulky. His mechanics from JD to his senior year at SU took a nose dive, and late in his career he looked like he was aiming instead of just letting fly. Was he stronger than 95% of his opponents? Yes. Was this worth losing a half step? Probably not. I saw him play at JD many times and he was smooth with a great natural shot. Once he put on almost 20 lbs of muscle, almost entirely upper body, he looked like a strong safety trying to play basketball.

Imo, this is the biggest problem with Cooney's shot, he's shot putting it...
16453737-large.jpg

Last edited:
This opinion was suggested to me by someone I respect and the more I think about it the more I think it might be true:

Cooney needs to stay out of the weight room. Kid is too jacked, His shot, seems hard and mechanical and it appears the more muscle he puts on, the less consistent he's become.

I don't know the physiological aspect of it, but it would seem to me that the constant breaking down and regeneration of muscle tissue would be be counterproductive in honing a skill that's based on muscle memory and precision.

The pure fan in me also is struggling to come up with great shooters who were workout beasts.

On the other hand: Reggie Miller, Larry Bird, Rautins, Gmac (notorious for being allergic to weights), Kevin Durant (mocked in pre-draft workout for lack of strength), JJ Redick...etc. I can up with an unending list of skinny dudes who can flat out stroke it.

Triche had the same problem his Junior year. He's working out the wrong muscles. He just needs to shoot. I would also like to see him split more time with RP. I always felt TC would have a higher shooting percentage with more rest on the bench. The problem is I don't think RP is as good on defense as TC.

I wish Trevor would use his guide hand a little bit more. Watch him in warm-ups and then watch him in live game situations. It's a nice, fluid stroke in warm-ups where everything is in-sync. In game situations, he takes his guide hand off the ball way too early. Would explain why he is missing shots left and right of the basket, even when he is lined up and perfectly balanced.

Then do you think his problem is psychological during game time versus warm ups?

At this point I don't care what he does, how he shoots it or even what shots he takes so long as some of them start going in.

Friday he had pretty much good to great looks from 3 and didn't make them. I don't remember any really bad shots from him and most seemed very open with enough time.

Then do you think his problem is psychological during game time versus warm ups?

Idk, at this point it seems like it would almost have to be.

Idk, at this point it seems like it would almost have to be.

Coach 5th/6th and 7th/8th grade teams. I tell our players in a game situation if they are too excited to shoot the ball a little higher to take into account their adrenaline.

I think TC makes mistakes when he is under duress. That's why I want to see RP get more playing time so TC is fresher to run around like maniac so he can get an open look.

I dont know why weights would effect the shooting of anyone since at this level its mostly done with the wrist action and leg elevation.

I dont know why weights would effect the shooting of anyone since at this level its mostly done with the wrist action and leg elevation.
More bulk and more weight makes it more difficult to repeat that wrist action exactly over and over again. It's hard to be consistent when you have an unnecessary 10 lbs of arm muscle that needs to be waved through the air in a split second.

Adding on to my thought, it's the same reason why most pitchers aren't jacked. Some are, and pitchers are getting larger with time, but most pitchers are still lanky. It's easier to make the same exact arm movements from your shoulder, elbow, wrist, down to the fingers, with a lighter arm. Muscle might help you be more durable, but too much muscle tightens you up and changes your arm action significantly from pitch to pitch.

Source: I pitched in college

i think we have to accept that Trevor is just not a very good shooter. What you do in practice does not mean anything. I could hit 15 out of 25 three pointers if it was just a shooting drill. He looks the part and people seem to think he could fit the part... but he is just not good. Sadly, he is our only option. I didnt think this before, but its pretty clear that he is. We are athletic, but the fact that we will struggle to make more than 3 or 4 long balls a game MAX is why this team could be in trouble long term.

Rak and Chris will not get to play vs 6 foot 4 guys all year.

Interesting speculations, no doubt.

Does he have muscle? Sure. But this isn't a Ronnie Coleman JR. , and imo I'd be shocked if THAT was the ONLY thing messing with his shot.

It's a confidence and quality looks issue, to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom