Cooney came to play today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney came to play today

Cooney still shot 7 jumpers today though, and was fouled on a layup and another jumper thats 9. I don't think he is as limited as last year. He wasn't driving at all today, but he still has some dribble drive.

G is funny sometimes he comes in with confidence other times its as if he is trying to build some confidence in his shot.

Its the way he was defended which is exactly what happened the second half of last season. Im shocked he had 4 good games ro start as teams must have forgot
That Hall kid is a really good defender...very quick, strong. He just stayed glued to Cooney's shorts and erased him.

Trevor is as Orange as Orange can get and it's unbelievable that he gets dismissive flak from our own fanbase. Look, he has been nothing short of sensational as of late and in case those who are critical of him didn't notice... there were a few other guys who weren't exactly having their best games either. If some of his teammates were contributing a bit more the target on his back wouldn't be as immense and he might get an open look or two without having to run the foul filled gauntlet where nary a whistle is heard.

Give Hall some credit. He was so tight up on Cooney it resembled an assault. Rak was up against the same crap down low. Nobody can tell me that what I was watching with respect to the contact that was going on did not constitute fouls. Inexplicably... there were likely 40 fouls which were commited on Rak alone down low of which only 8 or 9 were called. I in no way am blaming todays outcome on the officiating, but I will say that if contact like we saw today is commonly allowed it detracts from the game of college basketball. If the hyper aggressive pushing and shoving isn't called early on in the game it sets the precedent for it to continue throughout the entire game. If it isn't legal... IT SHOULD BE CALLED.

We lost the game in the 1st half and there are plenty of reasons why we lost. Another thing which hasn't been mentioned is the possibility that the team is aware of what has been discussed ad nauseum here on the board over the past 36 hours. It's not outside the realm of possibility that something like that could affect the manner in which they came out to play today.

My god

Cooney is the 1 you picked out?

My guess is that you were 1 2 months ago saying he wasn't a d1 athlete and now you can prove yourself!

If my guess is right, congrats!!!!!

I'm surprised teams don't play a triangle on two. Face guard Cooney and G and put the other three in the paint to guard Rak and help on penetration. There's no reason to guard Roberson or KJ. Give them 25 shots and you would not lose.

I'm surprised teams don't play a triangle on two. Face guard Cooney and G and put the other three in the paint to guard Rak and help on penetration. There's no reason to guard Roberson or KJ. Give them 25 shots and you would not lose.

There were times today when they put 2 on rak and 1 on cooney.

a specific example of that is when Roberson got the ball towards the left at the top of the 3 point line. He had no one guarding him. Instead of taking a dribble and a jumper or go straight to the hole, he forced it in Rak who was double teamed. Rak caught it, but it was immediately hit out of his hand which led to a steal.

Hahaha some of you guys are redonkulous. Dude is our best perimeter threat and got shut down, hence the 0 fg. Christ, if this was '03 and melo had 0 fg I think we could expect an OMG. Too many white knights on this forum...

Trev had an off night...strange we couldn't find him in transition at all.

A good defense takes time to put in place. Hence, it's not always a good decision to devote a lot of practice time to a defense you'll only use once in January. You can always double down on a low post entry or play help side (as a lot of mM2M defenses do), and any good athlete can make it hard on Trevor one-on one. If I was coaching against SU, I'd stay within my base D and just concentrate on awareness.

Where is this myth of Cooney playing well lately coming from?

0/7
6/17
9/16
3/10
6/21

He had one good game.

Total points.

Efficiency won't be good, but he's got the green light. It's all about points with him, and most will come from 3.

Your efficiency will be down on the block with rak.

Scoring a lot of points on a lot of shots is not winning basketball.

He's only shot above 40% from the field in 7 games!

Now I know this is sadly better than most of the team but it's no reason to prop him up as some great player.

Scoring a lot of points on a lot of shots is not winning basketball.

He's only shot above 40% from the field in 7 games!

Now I know this is sadly better than most of the team but it's no reason to prop him up as some great player.

You only need one more point than the other team, so percentages are largely moot. Consider that he routinely shoots from outide the arc where 33.3% is as good as 50% inside.

5 points on 7 shots
21 points on 17 shots
28 points on 16 shots (awesome!)
9 points on 10 shots
18 points on 21 shots

It's not good.

The problem isn't so much Cooney not making these closely guarded shots. It's that nobody else is making open ones. Patterson and Johnson HAVE to start making shots. Joseph can't pass up open 15 footers, because it might be the best look we get on that posession.

skurey said:
Where is this myth of Cooney playing well lately coming from? 0/7 6/17 9/16 3/10 6/21 He had one good game.

Seeing as how the 4 games you listed besides today's game, includes 18/42 from 3 which is 43%, yea I'd say that's pretty damn good. You wanna say he needs to finish better at the rim, knock your self out. 98.5% of the board knows that. Yea, today was a stinker. Too bad when he finally has a stinker after a long stretch f great games, there's nobody to pick up the slack. Your stats are masked by the fact he takes a lot of 3's.

That's why I posted the points/shot comparison. He's finally shooting better from 3, awesome seriously. But then he's giving it all away by shooting poorly from 2.

I do not think 98.5% of the board knows that if you consider those shooting performances great games.

skurey said:
That's why I posted the points/shot comparison. He's finally shooting better from 3, awesome seriously. But then he's giving it all away by shooting poorly from 2. I do not think 98.5% of the board knows that if you consider those shooting performances great games.

I said 98.5% of the board knows he had to finish better at the rim.

His effective shooting % is 51%. Not super great but very good. I'm sure you think north of 50% is a good shooting percentage no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom